chilean suicide bike racing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this could equally be in "sport" or "film" but it is of general human interest so "world" it is.

i've always kinda wondered what it would be like to do something like this, now i know without having to do it.

http://www.balls.ie/2011/03/02/camera-work-of-the-year/

Bloody mental, innit?

Comment

That's insane. The 3rd one that pops up at the end is very good too.

Comment

Trying to think of a British town which could host that kind of thing. Er... Howarth?

Comment

Comment

You could do it from the top of the hills in Bath possibly. I am just deciding whether to show this to Bored Jr, a keen BMXer who showed off his new trick of airing three kids lying down on a skate ramp the other day.

I love the dog in the middle but thought the sound had been turned off as if it is me all you would have heard is WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooo
            aaaaaaaaaa aahhhhhhhhhhHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
            SSSSsHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTtttttttttt ttttttt AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk all the way down

Comment

A thousand times more mad, and tragic.

Comment

Mumpo wrote:
                Trying to think of a British town which could host that kind of thing. Er... Howarth?
                I'm thinking Lincoln.

Comment

Durham?

Comment

Clovelly would be best.

Comment

Sheffield

Comment

Comment

Holy f***ing s***, dude! That is absolutely insane!

The thing I couldn't get over (apart from the million and one mad obstacles) was how long it lasted! I kept on expecting it to stop, but it just went on and on.

I almost can't believe the riders don't suffer from some kind of altitude-change effects due to the overall size of the vertical drop. Certainly, England wouldn't have anything to match that. Maybe somewhere in Wales? The more obvious places to do it would be in the Alps, Pyrenees or in Scandinavia somewhere.

Wow! I'm just blown away by that!

Barndoorio - is that Padstow? That race would last about 15 seconds! :-)

(edit: No - I see now that it's Clovelly. D'oh! Must learn to roll the mouse pointer over things! Still - it'd be over in a flash there.)

Comment

We had a real nutcase art director who quit and moved to Colorado to pursue his downhill mountain bike racing career. His videos are a lot like the one up top, but through forests and over muddy rocks and shit. Not as frightening, though.

Comment

ursus arctos wrote:
                              Yes, but thankfully no one was killed. A local morning news program in LA teased that video before going to commercial by describing him as "an agitated driver." FFS. I don't ever remember hearing an attempted murderer described as only "agitated" before.

In the race video, I wish we could have seen what the guy looked like. It looks like he's wearing a suit--would have loved to have seen a photo of him on his bike.

Comment

BTW, the race is the Valparaiso Cerro Abajo in Chile. Here is a video from this year's race: http://vimeo.com/20228599

Comment

is having a dog in the way mandatory?

Comment

That'd be one point in Clovelly's favour.

Comment

Woah. I can safely say that if attempting that, I'd have been off the bike at the first turn.

Though there does seem to be a minor South American fetish for this sort of thing. I had thought this topic would relate to the infamous road of death, which some odd people seem to like throwing themselves down on a bike:

http://www.gravitybolivia.com/view?page=109

Comment

This is much more sensible fun. Look - they've even got a 'ski lift' mechanism in place! We Brits are a bit more low-tech. Logically speaking, San Francisco should be the perfect place for all such things, but their racing seems a bit tamer.

I'd like to see a bike race like the Chilean one in San Francisco, though.

Comment

St. Ives would work well.

Comment

This makes the route look like it is under half a mile which sounds quit short for 2 and a half minutes. I have found a route in Bath that is 2 and a half miles down hill - albeit on roads

Comment

Working...
                                            X