No announcement yet.

So, LinkedIn, then

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Given my less-than-ideal working situation I've found myself in, I rely on LinkedIn quite a lot to issue come-and-get-me pleas. None ever quite seem to come off despite initial promise, yet I can't quite tear myself away from it. It's the hope that kills you.

Comment

All the most recent advice that I've received is that LinkedIn is hugely important when it comes to job searching and securing employment.

Making sure that your LinkedIn profile is comprehensive and up-to-date and that you've got an impressive list of verified skills is pretty much the very first thing that you should do if you've got the bullet or want to make a change. Job agencies are all over it (it's a huge CV store after all) and use it to sweep for candidates for positions they want to fill sometimes in preference to advertising the positions on their own sites.
      Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 26-07-2017, 08:44.

Comment

It's really handy for fiscal authorities wanting to check who does what where in global companies too.

Comment

Comment

Thistle, what kind of research are we talking about?

Chez nous, it is considered bad form for the candidate not to have done some research on the lawyers s/he will be interviewing with (it's the only reason they get schedules in advance).

Comment

Although I have genuinely heard what NS said spouted by experts, my real world experience is that LinkedIn is utter wank for getting employed. At I east in the UK.

I know freelancers who have been employed from approaches on Twitter and Facebook though.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                Thistle, what kind of research are we talking about?

Chez nous, it is considered bad form for the candidate not to have done some research on the lawyers s/he will be interviewing with (it's the only reason they get schedules in advance).
                Knowing where a doctor on the panel used to work. Several years ago.

Comment

Interesting.

That would have been seen as "enterprising" and "demonstrating real interest" in our shop. As with the efficacy of LinkedIn et al. the sectoral differences in such things can be vast.

Comment

I need to update my linked in to draw in more recruiters (it has been deliberately very light for some time).

Had a conversation (from LinkedIn) with a bank that has a very different understanding about 'market rate' for the role they are looking to fill. It was entertaining to hear the HR rep go from really excited to winded when they learned how they are unlikely to get what they want.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                      Interviewing people is an eye opening experience. Had one guy who creeped out some of the interview panel as he had obviously researched them.
                      Being in charge of a selection process from start to finish, including selecting candidates, interviewing and making the final call, is probably the most useful professional experience I've had.

The key tip I'd pass on to anybody applying for a job is that the CV and the interview are two completely different ball games. At least half the interview panel haven't read your CV, the interview is where you should shine, so basically regurgitate your CV accomplishments without sounding like a brown-nosing psycho and you should get the job, or at least come very close.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                        Interesting.

That would have been seen as "enterprising" and "demonstrating real interest" in our shop. As with the efficacy of LinkedIn et al. the sectoral differences in such things can be vast.
                        It was more the way he did it, coupled with eye contact singling her out.

We gave the job to the person who had evidently read everything we had made available about the project the role was supporting and around the wider subject.

Comment

Originally posted by steveeeeeeeee View Post
                          Being in charge of a selection process from start to finish, including selecting candidates, interviewing and making the final call, is probably the most useful professional experience I've had.
                          I agree.

Comment

Working...
                          X