Buying jeans is unexpectedly difficult

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It never used to be. It used to be a cinch. But something has happened recently to make it impossible to match preferred colour, fit and size. I'm down to one pair of jeans that doesn't have a huge hole where my conkers rest, and uniqlo, topman and GAP, among others, all seem reluctant to allow me to remedy this situation. If I don't get this sorted soon, I'll have to start wearing chinos, and they'll look fucking wank with my new trainers.

Chinos are for people who work in the IT department, with boots and a short-sleeved shirt (usually a golf shirt). And Americans. Who I love, I assure you, but not the chinos thing. Nor the varsity wear or the white running shoes. But that's it.

Comment

Worn Old Motorbike wrote:
      Chinos are for people who work in the IT department, with boots and a short-sleeved shirt (usually a golf shirt). And Americans. Who I love, I assure you, but not the chinos thing.
      If I could take a picture of myself, I would--I'm wearing a navy blue polo shirt and khaki pants. No boots, though.

Comment

Here it's usually Roots boots. Similar to:

Comment

Chinos are a great alternative to more formal trousers when jeans are inappropriate. I happily wear chinos with shirt and blazer to formalish functions.

As for jeans, my preference is for Levis 501s, because they look good on me. But they are of shit quality and far too expensive.

So I was delighted when I went to the C&A in Munich earlier this year and found a wide range of jeans. Disappointningly, they all looked bad on me. In the end I spotted jeans on a two-for-the-price-of-one offer. I thought I'll try them on, and fuck me if they didn't fit exactly like 501s, except they have a zipper, not the buttons. For fitting me so well and for the agreeable price, I don't give a shit that brand is called something like Jinglers.

I like the boots in WOM's pic.

Comment

Worn Old Motorbike wrote:
            Chinos are for people who work in the IT department, with boots and a short-sleeved shirt (usually a golf shirt). And Americans. Who I love, I assure you, but not the chinos thing. Nor the varsity wear or the white running shoes. But that's it.
            Ha, I'm with you on the white running shoes and varsity wear, but chinos vary a lot. Usually they're too baggy and shapeless, but if they're well made and slim cut, they can look quite nice in an old-school preppy way. (And if you really want to go over-the-top preppy, you can substitute Nantucket Reds.)

Comment

I'm wearing brown canvas Simple shoes. They're made out of hemp and the soles are made from old car tires. EAT MY SMUGNESS

Comment

Ha, Inca, I got a pair of Toms for Christmas, which make me feel both cooler and more compassionate than everybody else when I wear them.

Comment

What's varsity wear?

Comment

Toms are becoming very popular. How do they feel? They look kind of "flimsy" to me. Their hq is right near my house.

Comment

uck. Toms. Very, very annoying social-eco-hipster shoes.

Comment

Incandenza wrote:
                        Toms are becoming very popular. How do they feel? They look kind of "flimsy" to me. Their hq is right near my house.
                        They're surprisingly comfortable, actually. I wear mine mostly for puttering around the house and yard, not for work or long walks, but they're good casual shoes. (Or at least they seem to be so far. I haven't even had them a month. My wife's had hers longer and they're holding up well.)

And even though I'm making fun of them, it is a good thing that they give a pair of shoes to a poor child for every pair you buy. (Or at least that's what they claim to do.)

I saw some pictures of their offices (in Santa Monica, right?) in, somewhat embarrassingly, the Costco magazine. It was in a warehouse and they had made all the cubicle walls and desks from found and recycled materials. It looked crazy, kind of like a high-tech shanty town.

Comment

dglhand of god wrote:
                          uck. Toms. Very, very annoying social-eco-hipster shoes.
                          Well, us annoying social-eco hipsters can't just go barefoot all the time!

Comment

The Costco Connection! I love the poll of the month.

Yes, their offices are in Santa Monica. They are on a stretch of Olympic Boulevard that has a row of what used to be light-industrial warehouses but are now design companies and post-production film companies. There is also a private progressive middle school there that puts the most maddeningly simplistic and punny liberal political messages up on their sign.

Comment

why is it now nearly fucking impossible to buy a pair of jeans, with a zip. Why must it be fucking button fly. They are not the drinking man's friend.

Comment

Speaking of hipsters, I'm glad that the Bike Snob finds all of the ridiculous examples of hipsterdom that the New York Times puts in their Style pages. Though this article and the accompanying slideshow, on coffee shop workers and their hats, was actually in the Dining and Wine section last week. I know I got in a shitload of trouble the last time I talked about hipsters and their style choices, but Jesus fucking Christ:

“I bought it at an Army store,” said Adam Schleimer at Joe in Chelsea. “It had a set of guns on it, but I took it off. It's not like I'm anti-gunner or anything. I just wanted to take them off.”

Comment

I have to say, most of my jeans now come from this boutique.

Comment

Incandenza wrote:
                                    The Costco Connection! I love the poll of the month.
                                    Yes, always amusing. It's also my regular source of David Horowitz's consumer wisdom now that Fight Back! is no longer on TV.

Comment

I had a phase of buying Gas and Diesel jeans, before I came to my senses and realised that the money you pay for those things is better spent on things like travel and rent.

The last pair of jeans I bought were £12 in a sale in Debenhams. John Rocha, whoever he is. Go quite well with my Sambas though.

Comment

Fight Back! was seen outside of LA? I had no idea. Fun fact: David Horowitz (this is a consumer reporter, not the radical turned arch-conservative) was attacked by the LAPD the first night of the 2000 Democratic National Convention when he was covering the demonstration out in front (which I, and I think Toro as well, was at).

Comment

It's not like I'm anti-gunner or anything. I just wanted to take them off.”[/i]
                                          Whatever, dude. All the cool people are anti-gunner.

Back to the topic of this thread, I wish Levi's would bring back Sta-Prest. I never really experiment with jeans. I always buy Levi's slim straight cut (I think that's what they're called). The main challenge is avoiding the trendy new styles, skin-tight jeans now, bell bottoms a few years ago. And avoid pleats, always.

Comment

Incandenza wrote:
                                            Fight Back! was seen outside of LA? I had no idea. Fun fact: David Horowitz (this is a consumer reporter, not the radical turned arch-conservative) was attacked by the LAPD the first night of the 2000 Democratic National Convention when he was covering the demonstration out in front (which I, and I think Toro as well, was at).
                                            It was on in the Bay Area when I was in high school, at least. Not sure about other parts of the country. I had forgotten about him until we joined Costco and started getting The Costco Connection delivered to our house monthly. I still get the theme music in my head every time I see his column. It sucks that he shares a name with that fascist crank.

Comment

I wear chinos to work because:

a) I couldn't really give a toss how I look; and
                                              b) Almost all my cothes come from charity shops, and there seems to be a high ditch'em factor where chinos are concerned.

It's difficult to buy jeans when Tesco's offers them at a tenner a pair, and when you get there, the one pair that was your size went to someone who works there, and the rest only fit pre-pubescent midgets.

Comment

All my jeans are Uniqlo (in fact lots of my clothes are from them...), I can buy them blind although I have not done so for over a year now, I hope they haven't introduced too many changes...

Comment

EIM wrote:
                                                  I'm down to one pair of jeans that doesn't have a huge hole where my conkers rest
                                                  Are you implying your gonads are so massive that jeans fabric doesn't stand a chance?

G.Man wrote:
                                                  So I was delighted when I went to the C&A in Munich earlier this year and found a wide range of jeans. Disappointningly, they all looked bad on me.
                                                  Munich is rubbish for jeans (and expensive). I buy all mine from Gap in Manchester.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X