Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is that yours Amor? Amazing.

Comment

Yes, from this morning. This pair are frequently roosting in the same place during my morning walk with Phoebe the Dog. They mate for life, around thirty years, and really are creatures of habit.

Comment

Well it’s an incredible shot.

Comment

More down to Earth. I'd hoped this might be something more interesting but it's nothing more than a female, or juvenile, house sparrow - though house sparrows are a lot rarer in these parts now. It's round the back of the Elephant earlier this morning.

Comment

Nothing down to earth about a sparrow, I miss them. Lovely photo.

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
              More down to Earth. I'd hoped this might be something more interesting but it's nothing more than a female, or juvenile, house sparrow - though house sparrows are a lot rarer in these parts now. It's round the back of the Elephant earlier this morning.
              Don't knock it. An interesting picture of a common bird is generally better than a boring picture of an uncommon one. No exaggeration, but Eagles are almost as ubiquitous as Sparrows locally. I've seen as many as three dozen roosting in the trees down the road. And on a Summer day there's rarely a moment when several aren't riding the thermals above us.

Comment

Fuzzy, but I just managed to capture a couple of snaps of this sparrow while walking with my son today. I think this is the female one. There was a male with darker markings with her but he flew away too quickly.

Comment

Yes, that's a female. Males have a dark brown/black 'eye mask' and throat, brown back to their head but paler grey cheeks and 'cap' – so there's a lot more contrast, especially around their heads. Females are a more homogenous colourscheme, shades of mid-brown.

Comment

We made an effort to spot the Mediterranean gulls amongst the birds at Newbiggin-by-the-Sea at the weekend. But were also struck by how scruffy male eider are in the summer compared to their flash winter wear.

Comment

Comment

And summer looks like...

Comment

We saw Canada geese in northern Florida yesterday, a few miles south of Jacksonville on the A1A. We were amazed that they came down this far south, but then looked them up and found that, like the Florida sandhill crane, they are year-round and do not migrate. Sadly, they are hunted legally by farmers and other bastards.
                          Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 15-07-2020, 10:47.

Comment

Geese are arseholes, but don't deserve the death penalty for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                              We saw Canada geese in northern Florida yesterday, a few miles south of Jacksonville on the A1A. We were amazed that they came down this far south, but then looked them up and found that, like the Florida sandhill crane, they are year-round and do not migrate. Sadly, they are hunted legally by farmers and other bastards.
                              Yes, they come over here, eat all our grass ... Here's some I saw earlier today.

Comment

Just popped up to the Local Shops to get some scrips. While waiting I went and sat in the park to stay away from people, and almost trod on a Rainbow Lorikeet. They’ve become pretty used to people around the shops.

Comment

As if to prove the point, while I sat on a bench to look at the photos I’d taken, another one arrived next to me and started shouting at me for food, which I didn’t have. I’m starting to wonder if I’ll ever get a crisp photo of a bird again. I can blame the iPhone but I don’t think my hands are steady enough.

Comment

The background is in beautiful focus.

Comment

That's not bad at all. Phones and point and shoot cameras are the worst to hold steady. Because they're small/light they tend to move with the motion of your finger.

Comment

Thanks Amor.

Comment

Maybe if you fed it a crisp..?

Comment

Heh. It would’ve been very happy if I had, I’m sure.

Comment

Mrs P is loving that. Between the lorikeets and the cockatoos it’s a miracle I managed to get her on the plane home.

Comment

They’re a characterful lot, what with the kookaburras too.

Comment

We had a (male) lesser spotted woodpecker in the garden earlier. First time I’ve ever seen one - they are about the size of a finch - but the Greater SW’s are daily visitors to the bird feeders. There was also a greenfinch on the feeders for the first time this year - not many around this way currently following a virus decimating their numbers.

The those lorikeets pretty abundant in Oz cities? Made me think about the colourful and noisy ring-tailed parakeets infesting London and the South East these days - though they aren’t in our area...yet.

Comment

Totally cheating, but this is a Superb Fruit Dove at Chester Zoo a couple of days ago.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X