No announcement yet.

Great Tits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lovely pics Amor. We get smaller flocks than those along the Liverpool Bay coastline and they're often mixed with other small waders.

Comment

Yes, we regularly see groups of a dozen or so feeding along the tideline, and larger flocks overhead, but I've never seen so many just perched, gazing out to sea before. They're quite reluctant to move too, strength in numbers I guess.

Comment

Amazing AdC. And what a widely distributed breed the Sanderling is. I've seen them on the beach in Port Douglas in the North Queensland tropics. Only in winter but still.

Comment

Interesting they certainly get around. Watching a flock of them in the air is hypnotic. Their backs are dark, undersides white and they move in unison in a cloud. It's black, then they bank and it's white. Rain, sun, rain, sun and so on. I hope there's some of that sense in the photo I posted on the mundane photo thread, though it's more chaotic then I just described I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate Leszno View Post
            Lovely pics Amor. We get smaller flocks than those along the Liverpool Bay coastline and they're often mixed with other small waders.
            It's a shame about Stringy Bob.

Comment

Wouldn't have worked so well if the line had been "Is this your knot?"

Comment

I don't know who was more startled when I almost walked into this King Parrot yesterday. They seem gentle souls.

Comment

Wasn't quick enough to get a picture of it, but just spotted a Northern Cardinal out in our garden. A beautiful splash of red colour against the backdrop of the 50cm or so of snow that has fallen here over the last three days.

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/birdcentralpark/status/1102368336933990401?s=21[/URL]

Comment

That's the one! It's also a lovely contrast to the colours of the blue jays, there's about ten of them in the trees too.

Comment

OK now two things before I continue:

1. It's not a bird but it's flying;
                        2. It's an absolutely shite photo, but it was dusk, the subject is moving, it's taken on a phone and with one hand as the other was holding the dog's lead.

It's a Grey-headed Flying Fox, wingspan about a metre:

Comment

The underrated pigeon: https://kottke.org/19/04/the-secret-pigeon-service

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                            OK now two things before I continue:

1. It's not a bird but it's flying;
                            2. It's an absolutely shite photo, but it was dusk, the subject is moving, it's taken on a phone and with one hand as the other was holding the dog's lead.

It's a Grey-headed Flying Fox, wingspan about a metre:

Hundreds of those around Sydney at dusk.

Comment

You're right. You'd think someone could get a better pic wouldn't you?

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                You're right. You'd think someone could get a better pic wouldn't you?
                                Of course...forgot you’’’’re in Sydney. Thought you’’’’re in Queensland for some reason. I’’’ve been away too long.
                                Last edited by willie1foot; 05-05-2019, 08:29.

Comment

Well, North Shore so in the right direction.

Comment

Went to our allotment last week for some later-than-intended digging and planting. At one point I went into the greenhouse to get the raddle (I think it’s called- round wooden frame/metal grid for sifting soil) and as I lifted it up a bird flew right at my head then out the door.
                                    Turns out there’s a blackbird nest IN the raddle. 4 lovely sky blue eggs.
                                    we left it be and by the time we left it was back on the nest. This weekend we could see the recently hatched chicks through the glass ( there’s a gap in the glass above the nest, btw)

14 days to fledge, apparently so we’re staying out til they go... but today when I went to water, they look very still and I fear an airless greenhouse might be too hot for them, as it’s up to 19 Celsius and sunny all this week

Comment

I wish this was my photo but clearly it's not. It is, however stunning. A capercaillie which I pinched from the BBC Springwatch FB page.

Comment

Just spent the last ten minutes watching this sparrow hawk devour some unfortunate songbird on our bike shed roof.

Comment

I had a similar experience a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately I couldn't get close enough to get a photo good enough to post on here.

Comment

Originally posted by Reality Checkpoint View Post
                                            Just spent the last ten minutes watching this sparrow hawk devour some unfortunate songbird on our bike shed roof.

There's a Geordie poem about a sparrow-hawk, which I can't remember.

Only the punchline.

Comment

Whale watching is enjoyable in itself, but one of the fringe benefits is the pelagic birds you get to see - this is a great shearwater, off Cape Cod.

Last edited by Third rate Leszno; 20-08-2019, 20:54.

Comment

Nice photo, TRL, as are the two above.

Comment

Cheers, NS. Here's a Wilson's storm petrel.

Comment

Lovely

Comment

Working...
                                                    X