Great Tits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great Tits

Sparrowhawk! In the back garden, just now!

Comment

Great Tits

The Exploding Vole wrote: It's great the way blackbirds warble. Quite often at the end, they finish with such a flourish I think they impress themselves. You'd swear at times they're chirping, "Ha! What about that then?"
      Ha, yes, indeed. They are fabulous performers.

By contrast,"our" owl sounds a bit embarrassed, as though all too aware that t-wit, t-woo is a cliche and comedy staple. "I don't write this material, OK?"

Sparrowhawk, eh?

Comment

Great Tits

Andy C wrote: Sparrowhawk! In the back garden, just now!
        Very cool, even more so depending on where you live. Round here it's raptorland, eagles, hawks, owls own the place. I love watching the Harriers hunting in the early morning. They seem to get the maximum out of every tiny breeze.

Comment

Great Tits

Very cool, even more so depending on where you live.
          Well inside the M25, so it's a bit of a surprise, indeed.

Comment

Great Tits

Couple of kite today, in their familiar territory to the northern end of the Chilterns.

Comment

Great Tits

Andy C wrote:
              Very cool, even more so depending on where you live.
              Well inside the M25, so it's a bit of a surprise, indeed.
              I saw what I'm led to believe was possibly a sparrowhawk bring down a bird in my road a year or so ago.

I wasn't sure what I'd seen at first and thought that the two-bird conjoined flight that I'd witnessed might have been some sort of mating routine. Then I walked over to where they'd come down and saw the one ripping the other ones throat out at which point I felt the need to reassess my previous supposition.

Comment

Great Tits

Just yesterday I was doing one of those long, solitary 'stand on the front porches' that smokers do often, but nons like me...not so much. I was quiet and still, and a humming bird came up and did its nervous duck and dive thing for the first few mouths-full. Then he got comfortable, and hung around for a good long lunch. I was maybe four feet away for a good three minutes while he had his fill.

Then he was gone like a bullet. Fascinating little things, hummingbirds.

Comment

Great Tits

Furtho wrote: Couple of kite today, in their familiar territory to the northern end of the Chilterns.
                  There was a time less than thirty years ago when that statement would have been utterly ridiculous. A little pocket of survivors in Wales, and that was it. They are magnificent.

Comment

Great Tits

This summer along with the many redstarts, and the occasional visit from a woodpecker, we've been inundated with fieldfares in our garden, and also some wheatears (sp?) - in fact there's one bush not far from the front gate where I can guarantee seeing a wheater sitting in the same spot day in day out.

Birds of pray are extremely common round here, but I usually see them when I'm driving and don't have the time to really work out what they are. the eagles I can tell, just from the sheer size, but the others, not so much.

Storks left this weekend, sadly. Autumn is here.

Comment

Great Tits

By contrast,"our" owl sounds a bit embarrassed, as though all too aware that t-wit, t-woo is a cliche and comedy staple. "I don't write this material, OK?"

Heard a good owl the other night. Usually we only hear Boobok Owls (sound like an English Cuckoo) but this was a lot "bigger" and more mournful. Just having a little dig around and quite excited that it may have been a Powerful Owl, Australia's largest. Great name too.

Comment

Great Tits

Every so often a Powerful Owl turns up in one of the central parks in Melbourne - Flagstaff Gardens or Treasury Gardens usually. They're incredible birds - they hunt possums each night and you can spot them during the day time sitting there dozing with half a possum still wedged under their claws. Wonderful (although not for the possums I guess).

Comment

Great Tits

A nuthatch, yesterday, interloping in the Goldfinch Bistro we seem to be running at the front of the house.

Comment

Great Tits

I've been neglecting this thread, though I do have a very belated contribution - one that blew my mind at the time.

About a year ago, I was doing the washing up, when I noticed a small, but colourful, movement on the bush that surrounds the kitchen windowsill: it was a Firecrest! I'd never seen one before. I didn't even know they were from round these parts (Surrey/Hampshire border heathland) but one landed right in front of me on this shrub-thing. I was also blown away by just how tiny they are. I'm used to Wrens, but this was something else!

Comment

Great Tits

What certain birdsong has in common with football chants.

Comment

Great Tits

Yeah. You'll see a few Firecrests down your way if you keep your eyes peeled. Surrey was where I used to stay and the birdwatching was superb.

Comment

Great Tits

Wow - what was that in the back garden! A quick Googling suggests it was a green woodpecker:

Comment

Great Tits

Also called a Yaffle.

Old English bird names are ace. Throstle, Yaffle. West Brom used to be called the Throstles. And someone (Farsley Celtic?) played at Throstle's Nest.

Comment

Great Tits

This was about twenty yards from Partick Thistles stadium.Firhill for trills it seems...........

the poser by new dawn fades2010, on Flickr

Comment

Great Tits

Spotted my first flock of Waxwings this winter in Falkirk. Must be cold up in Scandinavia.

Comment

Great Tits

I can hear a woodpecker.

Comment

Great Tits

Bizarre Löw Triangle wrote: Also called a Yaffle.
                                            The most famous yaffle ever:

Comment

Great Tits

I've noticed that in the years we've lived here, Corellas have moved into the area. Typically a desert dweller.

As you were.

Comment

Great Tits

Garden visitor of the furry rather than feathered kind at TrL Towers recently - a red squirrel!

Comment

Great Tits

MsD wrote: I saw a policeman with a bird on his shoulder, with dark markings and a long tail like that ... I think it was a telltale tit.
                                                  What about the bird, though?

Comment

Great Tits

Riding to work on weds I saw a whole line of cars parked on the verge of the country road that leads from edge of Gateshead to edge of Sunderland.

Now this road is known locally as a (gay) dogging site. But it was only 9 a.m., so there had to be another explanation.

20+ older men twitching at a rough-legged buzzard, as it happens.

I rang Ms Felicity, who likes birdwatching, and regularly visits the blogs of local birders, most of whom were clearly on the spot. She had a quick look at the photos and decided it wasn't worth the trip.

Apparently it looked like a buzzard, but with rougher legs.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X