Great Tits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great Tits

Sits wrote: Well SDR now you know about it there's a second home for your kite.
    And here it is...

I've haven't seen Redstarts (Black or otherwise) for years. We used to get them in our garden when I was young, but they stopped visiting after a new estate was built nearby which was disappointing.

Comment

Great Tits

The Bald Eagle — pictured a couple of pages back — acquired a mate this year. Not sure where their nest is but they share the same roost everyday.

They'll be off in a week or so. Back up the coast until December.

Comment

Great Tits

A brave pigeon.

I've started feeding two of them, so every time the patio door opens, they fly up to the roof, and peer over. When I go back in, this one flies onto the balcony rail to check out proceedings, and see where the staff is with their breakfast.

There are now 8 of them.

Comment

Great Tits

As this popped up I decide just to do some spotting on the train. So, in the last couple of miles north of Cambridge and the bit through the city to the station I saw:

Lapwing
          Greylag geese
          Woodpigeon
          A gull (probably black-headed)
          Starling
          Carrion crow
          Collared dove

But best of all:
          A magpie trying to catch a live rat

Comment

Great Tits

Boyband in training:

Comment

Great Tits

Saw a Woodpecker in the tree outside our living room window this morning. Was so chuffed I was almost late leaving for work.

Comment

Great Tits

The knock-on effect could have been a headache...

Comment

Great Tits

Woodpeckers are beautiful but complete and utter bastards. The only good thing about them is that they go after carpenter bees (who are supreme bastards).

Comment

Great Tits

We get them on the feeders and it's fun to watch the various tits and finches setting up, erm, a pecking order, in the preipheries, only for a Robin, another Bastard, to cream right in after the Woody's have gone.

We've had to secrete these feeders though to keep the Sparrowhawks off.

Comment

Great Tits

Comment

Great Tits

AArgh! Two headed mutant pigeon!

Comment

Great Tits

L1040227 by Stevie, on Flickr

Comment

Great Tits

Grey wagtail HnD?

Comment

Great Tits

No pictures, but might as well post this here, as it seems to be a bird thread.

Has anyone ever seen pigeons fighting? I don't mean the chasing around and trying to peck each other, but proper fisticuffs.

They stand beside each other, facing in opposite directions, and flick their wings at each other. It's hilarious, and the noise is like the noise described by Richard Pryor describing Muhammad Ali: they flick a wing out, and WHAP, take that with you.

Comment

Great Tits

Digging this thread up again to show off some of my weekend highlights - black-shouldered kite, superb fairy-wren and golden whistler.

I spent a couple of months in Sweden during spring this year and saw loads of birds (including my first green woodpeckers!), but it was also a reminder about how lucky we are in Australia with our avian wildlife - I don't know how you can live without parrots around.

Comment

Great Tits

That top one is magnificent.

Comment

Great Tits

It looks like an alien. I've only ever seen those soaring 200 feet above my head.

And isn't it funny how the Golden Whistler looks exactly like this thread's named bird?

Comment

Great Tits

I'm not sure how to make this a picture that I can link, but you can see it on my instagram.

Big ass hawk that Tonka and I saw on our walk last night. I see them around the neighborhood, but not usually this close. This one seemed to be talking to another one that was about a block away. I hope they're ok and not in distress. I also saw this one eating something dead on the ground by the church. Maybe that's why it was hanging around.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BHx8wJjADbt/?taken-by=tonka_kijana_miller

Comment

Great Tits

Big ass hawk
                                        In British English we'd say "great bottomed hawk".

Comment

Great Tits

I'm not sure what kind it is. I'll ask the birdwatcher I work with in the DC office.

Comment

Great Tits

Kev was teasing you, Reed.

Comment

Great Tits

Gerontophile wrote: Kev was teasing you, Reed.
                                              I know, but I felt the need to add that anyway.

The office birdwatcher says its probably a young red-shouldered hawk. Female, most likely.

Comment

Great Tits

First day of our holiday in Port Douglas. A bit blustery this morning but had a walk on the beach. Happy we did; scores of Lesser Frigate Birds riding the wind high above. A terrible, very fuzzy zoomed-in photo but I'm excited:

Comment

Great Tits

gyp wrote:
                                                  I spent a couple of months in Sweden during spring this year and saw loads of birds (including my first green woodpeckers!), but it was also a reminder about how lucky we are in Australia with our avian wildlife - I don't know how you can live without parrots around.
                                                  We have crows. They're like goth parrots.

Comment

Great Tits

Ah, fantastic! They're spectacular aren't they? One turned up all the way down in Melbourne after the big storms in May, but I didn't manage to track it down.

I made my first visit to the permit-only Western Treatment Plant on the weekend - hard to explain to my friends why I wanted to spend a glorious sunday tramping around a gigantic sewerage treatment plant, but the birdlife there is just incredible: brolgas, crakes, all kinds of waterbirds and raptors. It's truly spectacular.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X