The arcane logic of Amazon recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Amazon recommend-o-matic has suggested that I might like Sipple Out Deh: The Black Ark Years by Lee Perry and I can't say that it's got my taste wrong. But one has to furrow a brow or two when Amazon shows its working: at the bottom it says "Recommended because you added Sir John Betjeman's Varsity Rag to your Shopping Basket".

YouTube recommended Wondergirls (super cheesy Korean girl pop) to me once... because I had watched an Oasis video. Must be using the same algorithm as Amazon.

Comment

Gonna be contrary - Amazon has me pretty sussed. Whereas Itunes doesn't know me at all despite 6K+ songs to choose from - I don't want Elton Bloody John. Come on Apple, even Last FM can make a decent stab at recommending things I'd actually listen to.

Comment

It's now telling me that I ought to like the new Radiohead album because I rated a Laurel and Hardy film.

Comment

You must have rated Ladrones.

Comment

Now it's suggesting that I should buy a cassette head cleaner because I've stuffed a CD in my shopping basket.

Comment

"Stop, Andy. I'm afraid. I'm afraid, Andy. Andy, my mind is going. I can feel it."

Comment

Amazon seems to be convinced that I'm a transvestite.
                My recommendations almost always include women's shoes.
                When I removed them from my recommendations, it displayed dresses instead.
                I'm genuinely baffled having never searched for either item, or anything remotely related (apart from some earrings for P.)

Comment

So you liked The Ministry of Fear, Graham Greene's "entertainment"? Well then, the Arden Shakespeare's edition of Hamlet seems just the thing for you.

Comment

I generally find Amazon's book recommendations to be very appropriate, but its music ones less so. Probably because I buy a lot of books from Amazon but only a handful of albums a year.

Comment

Mine is recommending Shakira and Michael fucking Bolton (which I believe is his full name). Why?

Comment

One of our fans had the son of the bastard Chairman who asset-stripped our ground to AFC Wimbledon recommended as a Facebook friend. That takes some beating for getting it wrong.

Comment

Just chanced across this link in this article, regarding cookies and the new rules regarding their collection.

I'm still not sure why I seem to get bombarded with adverts for bras wherever I go: OTF, blogs, TV guide sites, etc. My tits aren't that big yet!

Comment

Working...
                          X