No announcement yet.

Calling occupants of interplanetary craft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On iPlayer there's a 90 minute Storyville on Voyager. It's excellent.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
      On iPlayer there's a 90 minute Storyville on Voyager. It's excellent.
      Yes, that was the Irish film myself and TAB have referred to in various threads - truly excellent.

Comment

Voyager 2 joins its sibling.

Comment

The Voyager doc was repeated on BBC4 last night. I have some doubts about the golden record that the news that a stylus and graphic instructions on how to play it were also included have only partly assuaged. That said, history suggests that they were right to choose it over the golden 8-track cartridge.

Comment

Well I’ve heard Urban Outfitters, Stateside are selling CASSETTE tapes, so excuse me while I visit the loft...

Comment

Almost certainly pulsars, but there's always a 0.000001% chance of an interstellar message:

https://www.thejournal.ie/canada-fas...32170-Jan2019/

Comment

Speaking of interplanetary craft, they're putting together the test vehicle fpr the space X SpaceShip. It's....... Shiny.

The purpose of this thing is to test out the engines, fly up in the air, and come back to land, going gradually higher and faster.

The final planned vehicle is reassuringly retro looking.

Comment

I recognise that figure at the bottom:

Comment

Hahahaha.

Comment

Voyager 2 speaks.

Comment

The second set of measurements, by Voyager 2, give new insights into the nature of the heliosphere’s limits because on Voyager 1 a crucial instrument designed to directly measure the properties of plasma had broken in 1980. Measurements published in five separate papers in Nature Astronomy reveal that Voyager 2 encountered a much sharper, thinner heliosphere boundary than Voyager 1.
                        The NASA Voyager program is a publicly funded program launched 40 years ago and funded by the taxpayer ever since. The first then the scientists who get the messages being sent back today think is, oooh, I can publish this in a Nature-branded paywalled journal and further my career. Fuck 'em, I'm not reading it.

Comment

Working...
                        X