Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OTF likely guilty of breaking Pareto's Law.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, Pareto's law or Pareto's principle is that, in marketing terms, 80% of your sales will come from just 20% of your customers; those coveted addicts or 'frequent purchasers'. It tends to hold true most of the time.

As it stands right now, OTF has 892 registered members and 36,906 total postings.

Were Pareto's law to hold true, that would mean 29,524 of those postings would be made by just 178 of those users.

In fact, using the Top 30 Posters stat function, I've deduced that this group of 30 alone is responsible for 18,745 posts.

So, to find out whether the next 148 posters are responsible for the balance of the 10,779 required posts would require someone much smarter than me doing a sort of half-life posting drop-off calculation and extrapolating that number. If, as in the past, we discount ursus arctos as some sort of computer bot or conglomerate of individuals working round the clock, we can see a steady and predictable drop off which likely continues in some sort of calculable fashion.

Additionally, there's clearly a whack load of people at the low end that aren't pulling their weight. I refer you to recent member Sullivan, Jamie who's decided to join and say nothing.

This post has no point nor agenda. I was just bored whilst eating my leftover tuna pesto pasta from Wednesday's dinner.

As you were.

Pareto's "Law"

Self-important "management speak" bollocks of the self-indulgent HR uber-wank pay the managers bonuses at the expense of the staff kind.

Comment

Guy - the observation is named after the economist Pareto who observed that 20% of Italians had 80% of the wealth. Which isn't bollocks at all.

But it is to say that there are a lot of social phenomenon (possibly including the activity on the board) that follow a power law. And actually, power law suggests that Ursus *is* human and not a bot - every power law-type function needs one observation whose value that approaches infinity.

Comment

in america now 1% of the population owns 80% of the wealth. The italy of Pareto's day was a veritable egalitarian paradise compared to the US now.

I was using an old text book for an exam there before christmas and it was printed in the mid 1980's. It was referring to how unspeakably unequal the United states was in the 1890's, and how many of the people had so little, and how a few monstrous robber barons like Carnegie and rockefeller etc controlled nearly all of the wealth.

Out of curiosity I went to have a look to see what the figures for wealth inequality were in the US today, and guess what? We're right back where we were in the 1890's, a situation deemed untenable and cruel in 1984.

It would appear that The major achievement of the Republican party since Reagan has been turning back the clock 120 years and wiping out almost all of the progressive advances accomplished in that time period.

Oh and I'm really pissed off that they turned off without warning the old OTF with me hovering on 19996 posts.

Comment

Yes and no. In absolute terms, the poor were much worse off in those days.

Comment

Sullivan, Jamie's silence on this subject is deafening.

Comment

And I am the Life wrote:
              in america now 1% of the population owns 80% of the wealth. The italy of Pareto's day was a veritable egalitarian paradise compared to the US now.

I was using an old text book for an exam there before christmas and it was printed in the mid 1980's. It was referring to how unspeakably unequal the United states was in the 1890's, and how many of the people had so little, and how a few monstrous robber barons like Carnegie and rockefeller etc controlled nearly all of the wealth.

Out of curiosity I went to have a look to see what the figures for wealth inequality were in the US today, and guess what? We're right back where we were in the 1890's, a situation deemed untenable and cruel in 1984.

It would appear that The major achievement of the Republican party since Reagan has been turning back the clock 120 years and wiping out almost all of the progressive advances accomplished in that time period.

Oh and I'm really pissed off that they turned off without warning the old OTF with me hovering on 19996 posts.
              Oh to live in an egalitarian society.

With us it's 1% and 95%…

Comment

I don't think that 80% figure is correct. Googling around provides numbers around 40%.

Edit: I mean for US distribution of wealth.

Comment

i think it is the 80/20 rule that is applies to anything nowadays and is banded around meeting rooms thoughout the uk.

bullshit bingo stuff.

Comment

Tactical Genius wrote:
                    i think it is the 80/20 rule that is applies to anything nowadays and is banded around meeting rooms thoughout the uk.

bullshit bingo stuff.
                    Bzzzt!

Comment

Working...
                    X