Anyone for an astronomy thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Levin View Post
    It all looks very sci-fi compared to soyuz and STS.
    Towards the end of the Shuttle program they were sourcing parts from eBay.

Comment

https://twitter.com/colvinj/status/1266810744802349064

Comment

https://twitter.com/OrRite_Then/status/1266812032461963266

The absolute fucking state of this macho macho man. Is that a hand or has he just seen a mouse? They're playing you can't always get what you want at the end of his speech.
        Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 30-05-2020, 21:53.

Comment

I've just tuned into the docking and caught this massive bloody speech about how amazing they all are and how amazing SpaceX is.

Is this a case of the Emporer's new clothes? I mean the Russians have been doing this mundanely over the past decade.

And their suits are shit. Especially the wellies.

Comment

Docked with ISS 10 minutes early. Live stream is at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIZsnKGV8TE

Due to open the hatch at 17.45 and a welcome ceremony at 18.15 (Both UK time.)

Comment

Originally posted by Logan Mountstuart View Post
              I've just tuned into the docking and caught this massive bloody speech about how amazing they all are and how amazing SpaceX is.

Is this a case of the Emporer's new clothes? I mean the Russians have been doing this mundanely over the past decade.

And their suits are shit. Especially the wellies.
              True, but if a commercial enterprise can do this regularly and routinely, it should accelerate the pace of exploration, not having the same distractions and funding concerns as national governments.

Comment

And they’ve done this much, much faster and cheaper than Boeing et al ever could.

For comparison, SpaceX have developed and deliverable reusable rockets, cargo capability, rockets which land on ships and now human capable craft in less time than it has taken NASA to develop two cargo systems.

They’ve also reduced the cost of launches by 80%.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post

True, but if a commercial enterprise can do this regularly and routinely, it should accelerate the pace of exploration, not having the same distractions and funding concerns as national governments.
                  Isn't this entirely funded by the national government?

Comment

This bit is but the Falcon it rode on wasn’t.

At least the taxpayer has got something back for the money. Who knows where Boeing is on this. 2022, I think.

Comment

NASA is, but not SpaceX.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                        They’ve also reduced the cost of launches by 80%.
                        So the Two something billion dollars Space X got for this and three more launches was 80% less than the Russians had been getting? No wonder Putin can afford to treat Trump to all those, ahem, "hostesses".

Comment

I was referring to Falcon doing launches for $60m and it previously costing $400m. With each launch developing the capability to do this, where the rivals can't even get off the ground.

SLS is costing $2bn a year and delivering nothing.

Comment

https://twitter.com/ScienceSpinning/status/1276519666282901504

Not the first time exoplanets have been discovered orbiting Gliese.

Comment

That's a very confusing subhead until you read a long way down the article. What's DNA doing on expolanets and how did they recover it?

Comment

I think Gliese (number) is a generic name given to about 1000 stars close to us but not visible to the naked eye (and so not named by pre-telescope astronomers).

Comment

If you look due south tonight, you'll see a full moon. Just above it, the very bright star is Jupiter. If you imagine a point halfway between the two then look about 3 moon diameters to the left, that's Saturn.

Comment

Thanks hobbes, I was wondering what that bright thing above the moon was when I was out and about just now. I didn't notice Saturn, but I didn't look particularly carefully.

Comment

No worries. I just love conjunction for some reason.
                                      Years ago there was a conjunction that lasted for months between Jupiter and Venus and for 3 or 4 days a month the moon too. I'd see it as I crossed the millennium bridge on the walk home. That was spectacular.

Comment

Venus was really bright when something woke me at 4:50 this morning.

Comment

Any excitement for this comet then?

Comment

https://twitter.com/Ely_Cathedral/status/1281960747803828226

Comment

What a terrific photo.

Comment

Superb!

Comment

You can see why comets freaked the fuck out of everyone. That's amazing.

Comment

Imagine seeing this

https://twitter.com/mizuho73700856/status/1281166848164151296

Comment

Working...
                                                    X