No announcement yet.

Anyone for an astronomy thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saturn was right next to the Moon last night too. I'd have got bessie out if I wasn't so knackered.

Comment

Perfectly clear skies here at the moment. Fingers crossed for the blood moon tonight. Is it going to be quite low on the horizon (it's very shortly sfter sunset, isn't it?) I might have to walk up the hill to the east of our house to see it if it is.

Comment

I hate you guys so much. The Sky is blue here right now, which is no fucking use. I'm starting to wonder are some of the more neurotic aspects of Irish culture and society are down to our iron age ancestors often having to wait until midday to be sure that the sun had actually come up.

Comment

We had an ET sized moon in coastal North County Dublin last night, and a Turneresque sunset. Yr too far west man.

Comment

A thick shelf of cloud again tonight. At least it was nice for St MacDara's day.

Comment

Oh good god, what a carcrash.

Trump's press conference honouring the men of apollo did not go well. It went very badly off the rails indeed.

Comment

By the standard of this administration, that was a rousing success

Comment

This video of the interplay of the rising sun with an Atlas V launch is just beautiful.

Comment

Incredible.

Comment

Peak night for the Perseids meteor shower tonight. Total cloud cover here at the moment but fingers crossed...

Comment

Long-read on SolarCity's under-delivery.
                        The company once controlled two-thirds of the residential market; now, according to the consulting firm Wood Mackenzie, its share is less than 7 percent. In the second quarter of this year, SolarCity installed only 29 megawatts of solar panels—far below the 10,000 megawatts in annual installations that Musk had promised. “Total implosion” is how one SolarCity insider describes it.

Comment

This is quite neat: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-49648746

Bit of a schlep though.

Comment

Amazing

Comment

Not a biggie, but noticed these photos of the Milky Way from the Florida Keys on Wiki and thought that they were rather lovely:

Comment

It reminds me of all the footage of the Chelyabinsk meteor that was filmed on car dash cams.

Comment

Yes, though my recollection is that that was during daylight

Comment

I think it was early morning. and loads of people were out in their cars.

Comment

Anyone else get a look at the Mercury transit yesterday?
                                      I got a couple of quick views between the clouds.

Comment

Too cloudy here

The stream from the Canaries was good

Guy started a thread

I like to think about how mind blowing that phenomenon was to 17th century astronomers

Comment

Right, British astronomy enthusiasts, what's the bright star/planet currently just to the right of the moon?

Comment

Venus

Comment

No, no; he wanted British astronomy enthusiasts...

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                                No, no; he wanted British astronomy enthusiasts...

Heh. I did think about widening the franchise to Northern Hemisphere astronomers but wasn't sure where said celestial body would be in the North American/Western European skies at the present time.

Many thanks, UA. When there's a bright point in the night skies that isn't the moon or a plane (or firework, or helicopter, or drone...) it usually seems to be Venus.

Comment

Always a good default guess

Comment

Working...
                                                  X