• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• torres
    replied
    Originally posted by hobbes View Post
    What scope do you have?
    Nothing too flash. Celetron with a 50mm lens.

Leave a comment:

• Ginger Yellow
    replied
    Per Scott Manley, it's going to take several weeks to get enough observations to have an accurate measurement of the deviation.

Leave a comment:

• Ginger Yellow
    replied
    I doubt they know yet.

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    Did it work? I read that they'd successfully crashed into the asteroid but not whether it had made any difference to its trajectory

Leave a comment:

• Rogin the Armchair fan
    replied
    Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
    Is this the best thread for NASA managing to crash a probe into an asteroid? I thought that was pretty cool having grown up on a Hollywood diet of Deep Impact / Armageddon / Don't Look Up. Slightly reassuring to know that we now potentially have the technology to deflect a civilisation destroying meteorite.
    Or create one ...

Leave a comment:

• Balderdasha
    replied
    Is this the best thread for NASA managing to crash a probe into an asteroid? I thought that was pretty cool having grown up on a Hollywood diet of Deep Impact / Armageddon / Don't Look Up. Slightly reassuring to know that we now potentially have the technology to deflect a civilisation destroying meteorite.

Leave a comment:

• torres
    replied
    I’ll let you know once I’m home hobbes.

Leave a comment:

• hobbes
    replied
    What scope do you have?

Leave a comment:

• torres
    replied
    It’s the clearest I’ve ever seen it through the scope. Even MrsT was suitably impressed.

Leave a comment:

• hobbes
    replied
    If it's clear over the next few days, I might get Bertha out for a look.

Leave a comment:

• torres
    replied
    There were some belting views of Jupiter and it’s moons last night.

Leave a comment:

• Guy Profumo
    replied
    Anyone from Scotland / NI / Ireland see or record pictures from last night's fireball?

Leave a comment:

• Discordant Resonance
    replied
    Sadly, Artemis has been postponed for a second time, due to another fuel leak.

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    I bet they find a Starbucks there. Or a Sbarros.

This is a good explanation of the expansion thing. It's not all expanding equally.

Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 12-07-2022, 16:22.

Leave a comment:

• Nocturnal Submission
    replied
    Live reporting: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/scie...nment-62137963

Leave a comment:

• Rogin the Armchair fan
    replied
    Space itself is expanding. So we're not "moving", as such, but we are rather like the spots on a balloon that's being inflated. I heard Brian Cox say that, so it must be right.

Leave a comment:

• Nocturnal Submission
    replied
    Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
    What boggles my mind when I think about stuff like that is that it shows that the universe is expanding faster than the speed of light, as otherwise we wouldn't be able to see the stars from billions of years ago, many of which will have long since burnt out and turned to black holes.

So we're sitting on a planet which is spinning on its axis, orbiting round the sun, inside the arm of a galaxy that's orbiting a black hole, and it's all simultaneously travelling away from the centre of the universe at faster than the speed of light, and yet, we feel none of this movement.

I feel like it's time for this:

Leave a comment:

• Balderdasha
    replied
    What boggles my mind when I think about stuff like that is that it shows that the universe is expanding faster than the speed of light, as otherwise we wouldn't be able to see the stars from billions of years ago, many of which will have long since burnt out and turned to black holes.

So we're sitting on a planet which is spinning on its axis, orbiting round the sun, inside the arm of a galaxy that's orbiting a black hole, and it's all simultaneously travelling away from the centre of the universe at faster than the speed of light, and yet, we feel none of this movement.

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    My God, it’s full of stars!

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    https://twitter.com/nasawebb/status/1546621080298835970?s=21&t=bcGn2XRQJeES90uYjA_glA

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    https://twitter.com/_m_miles/status/1537786448153391104?s=21&t=lJlM3MjV295Cuzkz_obE7w

Leave a comment:

• caja-dglh
    replied
    Originally posted by Slightly Brown View Post
    There’s a cool documentary about how they arrived at the “picture” of the first observable black hole. I’m going on memory, but they basically give all the data to several teams of astronomers around the world. They then crunch the numbers and arrive at what they think the data “looks” like. They do this in isolation. They then collate all the pictures and see where the similarities lie. They then debate for a bit, before arriving at a composite image that represents the black hole.

I’m probably getting that totally wrong. I was just amazed/embarrassed to find out that it’s not an actual photo-photo. Probably belongs on the thread about such things.
    Sounds a lot like solving a blockchain but actually useful.

Leave a comment:

• Sits
    replied
    Originally posted by Slightly Brown View Post
    There’s a cool documentary about how they arrived at the “picture” of the first observable black hole. I’m going on memory, but they basically give all the data to several teams of astronomers around the world. They then crunch the numbers and arrive at what they think the data “looks” like. They do this in isolation. They then collate all the pictures and see where the similarities lie. They then debate for a bit, before arriving at a composite image that represents the black hole.

I’m probably getting that totally wrong. I was just amazed/embarrassed to find out that it’s not an actual photo-photo. Probably belongs on the thread about such things.
    I’ll be honest here. You’re not alone.

Leave a comment:

• Guy Profumo
    replied

Take a look at the lawman,
    Beating up the wrong guy

Is there life on Mars?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.sk...-made-12611936

No, there isn't

As the article says, it resembles a portal

​​​​​​​Move on

Leave a comment:

• Janik
    replied
    Oh yes, there is an awful lot not only of image processing but image imagining going on to sharpen up the utter blur to a semi-resolved blur. The decision making on what should and shouldn't be included is also reliant on wisdom of crowds concept, which has had some spectacular experimental results suggesting it's efficacy.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X