No announcement yet.

Unintentionally hilarious comics revisited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top marks for Richie's mate's outfit, that's spot on.

Comment

Glad to see that Sidney " still sings" , so I presume he's ineligible for the Artists who only had one album thread.

Comment

Josh doesn't cover it, so I only learned today from listening to Baby Geniuses that apparently Heathcliff has gone weird and intentionally unhilarious.
        Last edited by Ginger Yellow; 29-03-2021, 20:25.

Comment

Comment

What's the story behind that Incandenza ? (And what strip is it?)

Comment

Mallard Fillmore, a hilariously bad conservative American cartoon. I'm impressed that he could still get in 69 papers after getting those DUIs 10 years ago and turning the cartoon into a personal attack vehicle against the judge.

Comment

And the the strip for Monday doesn't make any sense..."If your'e reading this I'm dead. But not actually dead, I've been removed from 69 newspapers. But not from where you're actually reading this."

Comment

What did he do to to get cancelled?

Comment

Originally posted by scratchmonkey View Post
                    Mallard Fillmore, a hilariously bad conservative American cartoon. I'm impressed that he could still get in 69 papers after getting those DUIs 10 years ago and turning the cartoon into a personal attack vehicle against the judge.
                    Is it meant to look like a ripoff of Bloom County?

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                      What did he do to to get cancelled?
                      Here's a recent one right before Gannet decided to stop running it.

There were more complaining about equality for trans women.

But really, this "cancellation" has given more attention to this painfully unfunny strip than it earned in years.

Comment

That is so weird.

Comment

Greatest Mary Worth panel ever?

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                            Greatest Mary Worth panel ever?

I expect I'm alone but I simply don't get the the joke, or the point being made.

Comment

It's Mary Worth, there aren't any jokes.

Comment

I was going to say the same as Sporting - it's not the lack of joke, it's not even understanding what the point is - is the speaker meant to be proud of her mum and her being a latchkey kid? Is she meant to be saying that being a latchkey kid is bad, per se, and that's even worse because Mother was waiting tables when she should have been home looking after the kids? Is it because Mother is waiting tables at a bar where a closeted Republican congressman is trying to hit on a dude with a My Little Pony tattoo? Or is she proud of that and the fact that she has had autonomy from a young age?

It's baffling. Even if the author is from the idiotic right I can't tell if it's a "Mums should stay home" or a "Working hard is good" message.

Comment

Is the daughter really having a meal of only french fries? Why does the closeted Republican congressman (copyright SB) appear to be eating a pile of turds?

Comment

Originally posted by S. aureus View Post
                                    Is the daughter really having a meal of only french fries? Why does the closeted Republican congressman (copyright SB) appear to be eating a pile of turds?
                                    It's a shared plate of burger and fries. The man is eating the man-food (meat) and the women the woman-food (not meat).

Comment

Again, it's Mary Worth, to the extent a point is being made, beyond "this person's life needs some meddling" it will only be made over multiple days, if not weeks. I just enjoyed the My Little Pony tattoo guy and Josh's commentary, which provides some context:

A fun thing about Mary Worth is that it wants to depict Ashlee’s upbringing as unspeakably depraved and the reason why she’s a broken, amoral grifter, but it’s a newspaper comic strip and can’t get too dark so instead her dad just got arrested for unspecified reasons and her mom had a job where she had to bare her midriff to serve chicken wings to bronies. Seems perfectly wholesome, honestly!
                                      Last edited by Ginger Yellow; 07-06-2021, 13:52.

Comment

I like that they had to really drive the point home by bolding the last bit.

Comment

OK. So the daughter's life is bad. Being a latchkey kid therefore is a bad thing rather than a good thing.

We know her life is bad because her date is a used car salesman wearing a cheap polyester suit who took her to a diner on a date rather than to a decent restaurant and then stole her burger and she is unable to stand up for herself so is left to eat her french fries with just a plastic knife. Although you'd think a latchkey kid would have more fight about missing food than someone who was pampered by their Mother who waited on her hand-and-foot. And would be willing to use her fingers to eat her chips.

Comment

Should this be in 'intentionally un-hilarious comics revisited'?

Comment

I thought it was a chip in her hand, not a wooden chip knife?

I was more concerned by the plaster on her face, until I realised it was an earring.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post

It's a shared plate of burger and fries. The man is eating the man-food (meat) and the women the woman-food (not meat).
                                                Isn't the trope that she didn't order fries and then proceeds to eat his... It seems a very common "joke".

Comment

Actually, the second frame makes it look as though waitress mom is really small and emerging from that guy's dinner.

Comment

My husband and I were discussing the term "latchkey kid" the other day. You don't really hear it so much now. It was pretty much me from age 11. My options then were:
                                                    a) in summer, get changed on the bus on the way home so I wouldn't get lynched in my see through private school uniform on the way home, walk a mile home, let myself in and cook myself dinner.
                                                    b) in winter, walk to my mum's friend / our cleaner's house (less than half a mile) who would give me tinned minestrone soup for dinner. In exchange, I would babysit her two children all Saturday for a fiver.
                                                    c) in winter, walk all the way to the primary school where my mum worked (also a mile, but in theory safer because it had more street lighting), with my keys sticking out of my fingers ready to punch anyone on the way past the dodgy estate, then stay at the school with my mum for another two hours, helping laminate things and make wall displays and mark books.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X