Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unintentionally hilarious comics revisited

Josh's commentary says it all:
    Weird public Oedipal fantasy play? An unseemly interest in the teenage girl next door? Hiding in the bushes, watching the children? It’s apparent you’re a pervert, more like.

You may remember that edition of This American Life where the guest discussed the worst-ever comic book superheroes:

http://gone-and-forgotten.blogspot.com/

Comment

Is that the Jon Ronson one? I really enjoyed that episode.

Comment

He was called Jonathan Morris. He was discussing the likes of the Superpets. Beppo the Super-Monkey from Krypton anyone?

Comment

Along those lines, the comics devoted to "Superman's Pal," Jimmy Olsen, are fantastic.

The work of Fletcher Hanks ("Stardust, the Super Wizard") should be mentioned, too.

Comment

I have the Fletcher Hanks anthology, I Shall Destroy All Civilised Planets. It's amazing.

Comment

I agree! There's a newer Hanks anthology, too, called You Shall Die by Your Own Evil Creation!, which is also amazing.

Comment

I'd like to posit a funny pages equivalent to Poe's law. Namely that the legacy strips are so far behind, and so clueless, in their attempts at pop culture references that it would be impossible to tell if someone were parodying their out-of-touchness. Exhibit A:

Comment

Also, on the subject of worst comic superheroes mentioned above, the Robot Chicken DC Comics special that just aired has some great ones.

Comment

Belgium's Goalball team appear to have stolen their kit design from some forgotten Golden Age superhero.

Comment

Six Chix continues to make the case that it is the most bafflingly unfunny comic around:

Comment

What the hell? I feel like I'm looking at New Yorker cartoons when I was 15 and worried that I did it get the joke due to my deficiencies.

Comment

That is beyond abysmal in its execution.

Clearly somebody that can't draw cartoons, but has been told that she can by people who have no clue.

Comment

What is the joke even supposed to be there? Is there one?

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post

Belgium's Goalball team appear to have stolen their kit design from some forgotten Golden Age superhero.

Is that a sport based on My Left Foot

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
                                What is the joke even supposed to be there? Is there one?
                                Yep, that's the other major problem with it.

I can live with badly-drawn cartoons if they're funny, as with many of those that appear in Viz - which are of course often deliberately crude (in both senses).

Comment

This, via the comments at the Curmudgeon, is the only route to something approaching a joke I can begin to imagine.

1) A robo-call is a thing that you might be told to ignore.
                                  2) The news keeps talking about political bots on Twitter, and today’s Chik doesn’t know what that means but it sounds kind of like those robo-call things.
                                  3) So it stands to reason that if a Twitter bot posted something, it might be called a “robo-tweet”.
                                  4) “robo-tweet” is a homophone of “robot wheat”.
                                  5) And so it would be very funny if a farmer told his wife to ignore the robot wheat.
                                  6) Although you’d have to spell it “robo-twheat” for the joke to work, and also call it “a robo-twheat” even though wheat is a mass noun and you’d never say “it’s a wheat”, but those little disfluencies are totally worth it for this comedic gold.

Comment

That’s genuinely heroic in the spirit of the Age of Exploration

Comment

Yes, but surely the holes in the wheat should look like a fucking robot???

Comment

Crop circles..?

Comment

Jesus. Even I wouldn't come up with a joke that tenuous.

Comment

Initially I thought the window with wheatfield was a picture of some sort. And does the husband have hideous growths protruding through his jumper?

Incidentally I thoroughly enjoyed Starburst the Super Wizard.
                                            Last edited by Sits; 03-03-2019, 05:46.

Comment

Six Chix addresses the topical issue of gender norms in cryptozoology:

Comment

Seriously hard times in the comic biz if that's the best King Features can do

Comment

Even allowing for the individual artists being identifiable, how can the Six Chix stand to take any kind of collective responsibility for their output?

If they have a blind spot when it comes to their own work, it can't escape their notice that the other five days worth really suck.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X