No announcement yet.

Who likes looking at maps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That might explain it though, it being a result of migration and not previous German inhabitants. If people move to an area and don't have the local family and communities that would disapprove of children out of wedlock then there may be a more relaxed attitude to things you wouldn't do in you hometown.

Edit: that is only me hypothesising wildly

Add me to being surprised by the difference between Bavaria and Austria.

I wonder how much the methodology of recording births affects the chart. The differences between former Yugoslav republics is also striking.

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
      I'm genuinely puzzled by why the pre-WW2 Polish borders would appear so strongly on the wedlock birth map, given that the westward shift in borders at the end of WW2 was accompanied by corresponding mass movements of populations due to ethnic cleansing etc.
      My guess would be that these were comparatively more industrialised having been German than the other parts of Poland which had been mostly part of Russia and were agricultural. So, the communist party's secularist take on marriage and children would take less hold in the more conservative agricultural parts of the country than those parts which by dint of having had the trappings of urbanity were more open to new ways of thinking and less organised in communities which cleaved to traditional moralities.

I also remember reading that the population of the former German areas was mostly from the areas which were now in the USSR, and the areas which had previously been in Poland and were part of the reconstituted Poland, so they'd be more rooted in long-standing communities in the non-German bit.
      Last edited by NHH; 19-01-2023, 17:01.

Comment

https://twitter.com/NickdMiller/status/1617283137318580224?s=20&t=bZ4VjfVldYzYRfS4cYruBw

Comment

Iceland will be rather less cold now it's off the Breton coast.

Comment

Here are some people having fun with design and map like things

Comment

I can't give you a source for this, sadly, but apparently these are the top ranked "dream jobs" in every country. Some of them are more depressing than others. (I'm looking at you Spain, the Czech Republic, Slovakia and Italy)

20230128_112157.jpg

Comment

What's with the pilot fetish? I'd imagine it combines immense boredom with moments of even more immense stress.

Comment

Here are all the places Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart travelled to in his 35 years

https://twitter.com/AustinGlatthorn/status/1619033845520793602?s=20&t=L1CCxtvIcx5Vgz5NdALWFw

Comment

That's really interesting. Love all the aspiring writers, Arabian poets and the quirky ones, like Egypt and Lebanon. And yes, a bit depressing to see all the wannabe YouTubers and Influencers, though they're the actors & models de jour, I suppose.

I can't quite read Italy - is that Interpreters?

A bit surprised by the lack of Doctors. Maybe that's a more commonly desired profession in the Developing World. It always seems to crop up when kids are being interviewed on the news in those countries.

What do we think is meant by Developer?
                    Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 28-01-2023, 12:37.

Comment

Entrepreneur.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

I can't quite read Italy - is that Interpreters?
                        Entrepreneurs

Though the lack of ambition in Turkmenistan (translators? Really? I mean I know they're important, but your dream job?) is, I suspect a sign of the limited ambition that living under a dictatorship engenders

Comment

The pilots one is weird. I can think of literally one person I've met in my life who had a life ambition to become a pilot. She ended up as a doctor. I know one other girl from school who's now an air traffic controller. Maybe I just don't hang out in the environs of aspiring pilots.

Comment

I assume that people were asked "what's your dream job?" and the highest scoring response is the one here. You could ask 1000 people and if two of them said "pilot" that might be enough to win

Comment

I know one pilot. He was originally with Ryanair and hated it, before moving to Aer Lingus.

If you rule out " shoot for the moon " jobs like professional athlete, successful actor or musician, what are you left with? Doctor always looked to me to be an overworked, stressful and underappreciated gig. If you were to ask me now, I wouldn't mind being a tour guide around Dublin. Probably underpaid ,but it always looks like fun.

Comment

I'm quite sure that "developer" refers to software rather than real property.

And that the survey was done on line with an unrepresentative sample.

Comment

I thought everyone from Czechia worked in the sex industry in some capacity or other.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                                    I thought everyone from Czechia worked in the sex industry in some capacity or other.
                                    Not that this would have any impact on anyone's dream job, even if it were true, but to be honest it sounds like a pretty dodgy thing to say in the first place.

Comment

That's the most unsavoury thing I've heard on here in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post

Not that this would have any impact on anyone's dream job, even if it were true, but to be honest it sounds like a pretty dodgy thing to say in the first place.
                                        Yes, sorry, I was trying to highlight an issue not make light of it.

Comment

The Swiss wanting to be lawyers is pretty depressing.

(With apologies to our lawyers here, but "dream job"?)

I've known a couple of commercial pilots and another who's in training. All from San Diego. One got into it after flying in the Air Force in Vietnam, which seems like a natural job progression even if commercial flying isn't going to be as exciting as his previous gig on the helicopters flying out of Saigon in '75.

The one in training is a flight attendant, and just loves being in the air. She's absolutely thrilled every time she gets to fly even a small plane. I think that feeling of being in the air and in control is probably what makes it some peoples' dream jobs.

The last one made it sound excruciatingly dull, plodding back and forth on the same routes, rarely sleeping in your own bed, usually on silly hours. But he still liked the flying aspect of it.

The thing that would kill me is the hours of doing nothing but with the occasional unknown moments of super high-stress high-skill saving hundreds of people panic. 99.9% utter boredom plus 0.1% of crazed intensity would mess with me something rotten.

Comment

The only pilot that I know is our very own FF, but she's not a commercial pilot.

Comment

Azerbaijan is a rather unexpected outpost:

Comment

https://twitter.com/simongerman600/status/1619669189408575489?t=_eMXQmCqNkP9KvRfHNOHeQ&s=19

Comment

Originally posted by Discordant Resonance View Post
                                                  Azerbaijan is a rather unexpected outpost:

Would that be because of ethnic Germans deported by Stalin?

Comment

What does "German" mean in the context of that map? German speaking?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X