No announcement yet.

Who likes looking at maps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, historic, cultural, administrative and to some degree religious (Catholic rather than Orthodox)

Do you know what the "cultural" line running trough Western Romania is? It doesn't appear to be a current administrative border or a major river.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
      Do you know what the "cultural" line running trough Western Romania is? It doesn't appear to be a current administrative border or a major river.

Wouldn't it be the Hungarian-speaking region to the north of it?

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
        Yes, historic, cultural, administrative and to some degree religious (Catholic rather than Orthodox)

As NS and ad hoc say, the Romanian and Balkan line largely follows the boundaries of the old Habsburg empire.
        Last edited by Discordant Resonance; 19-11-2021, 13:14.

Comment

Yeah it's basically Transylvania (and the bit of Serbia is Vojvodina)

Comment

I think of Transylvania as being further east.

It seems to be more the Banat (which makes sense), Crisana (the history of which I don't know) and Satmar (which I associate with the Hassidic sect).

Comment

I'd say it was meant to be (but is badly drawn) Banat, Crisana, Satmar, Maramures and Transylvania, which are essentially all the bits that were in Austro Hungary (and which often, inaccurately, get lumped together as "Transylvania" )

Comment

Ta, that makes more sense to me.

Comment

In honour of the holiday

https://twitter.com/CityLab/status/1463874616083070977?s=20

Comment

Comment

Well that's just reminded me of a dream I had last night where, on a world map, you could see the various federal states of Russia.

When I queried this if someone they said it was no different to the US on world maps. Which I couldn't help but agree with.

Comment

Comment

Priests per capita.

I'd be interested in the imams per capita version.

Comment

No data for Vatican City?

Comment

Originally posted by Greenlander View Post
                              I know who'll know - super furry dice to thread.
                              Just clocked this relating to ad hoc UEFA food map tweet upthread.

Well i've done games in 53 of the UEFA 55 and been to grounds in the other 2 (hopefully will get to games there next year, being a completist and all that), on the food front most countries offer nothing in or around the stadium. I seldom eat at any grounds but I always clock what's on offer food and drink wise.

Germany, Austria, Czechia and Switzerland all do the saugsage thing. As Greenlander can testify, Hungary (and a few others) do sunflower seeds and similar snackage. Belarus and its near neighbours sell sweets and crisps, kinda cinema like. Scandanvia is normally not much but the bigger clubs normally do saugage, burger and pizza. As ursus arctos says, Belgium and Netherlands to frites but burgers and sausage is more common place from my experience. The most crazy (term is relative) was bread and jam in Luxembourg, at what was Red Boys Differedange a long long time ago so I can't say if that's a :Luxembourg staple. In trips to Turkey and Greece, I've only come across pitta/kebabs a couple of times which saddens me as its a pretty good pre-match meal.

Where I've made expecptions and eaten at grounds, its been in Poland were a decent a Zapiekanka is hard to resist; in Germany when a Currywurst has been on the menu; at RWDM (Molenbeek) in Belgium where the bratwurst outside the ground was unbeilveable; in Tallinn where rye garlic croutons went well with beer; and a couple of times at different grounds in Swizterland where they were selling Quiche (indeed the best quiche I have ever had was at a 4th level game in Geneva).

Aside from some quality beers at grounds in Belgium, Germany, Italy and Czechia, the best drink i've ever had in a ground was Azerbaijan tea in Baku. It was free and it was every bit as good as what you could get in tea rooms. Absolute perfection. Came with free sweets as well.
                              Last edited by super furry dice; 05-12-2021, 15:31.

Comment

European electoral systems:

Comment

? I mean Hungary does have an electoral system even if the dice are loaded

Comment

Comment

The population of Turkey has gone from just under 31 million to nearly 85 million in that time.

The figures in brackets represent the new provinces outside of the first 67. There are now 81.

Comment

Interesting that the predominantly Kurdish vilayets are among the fastest growing.

Comment

Yeah, I noticed that.

Comment

Originally posted by Discordant Resonance View Post
                                            Interesting that the predominantly Kurdish vilayets are among the fastest growing.
                                            They tend to be the ones nearest Syria, so some of the increase may be explained by a large refugee intake. (Also in the period of the map, Turkey has seen a lot of refugee arrivals from Bulgaria and Bosnia, though those wouldnt have ended up in the south east

They are pretty dramatic rises though. I bet the difference in life expectancy in Turkey in the 60s and now is huge.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                              I bet the difference in life expectancy in Turkey in the 60s and now is huge.
                                              45 in 1960 to 77 now.

Comment

45! It's barely imaginable.

Comment

Even Russian males at the nadir of the early 90s were at 57

Infant mortality has to be extremely high to even approach 45

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                                    X