No announcement yet.

Who likes looking at maps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also Sahara desert, which is literally the biggest example.

Comment

Baden Baden is more like New York, New York, though

Comment

This made me laugh

https://twitter.com/welshbollocks/status/1289605931312046080?s=19

Comment

Apologies if this has already been posted, but I just came across it via London Reconnections. Not as stylised/elegant as the tube map, but pretty useful, especially the quality distinctions.

Comment

What distinguishes a high from a low quality Cycle Superhighway here?

Comment

It’s really a personal judgement, mostly based on the level of separation and protection on the route. At the moment I colour code the routes as red, orange, and green. The green, the highest quality routes, are really easy to capture. At the other end of the spectrum, red “routes” where there’s just nothing there, those are really easy to capture, too – I try to avoid highlighting those, but sometimes they’re the only way of getting between two points. Everything else is sort of in a bundle in the middle.
              My ideal thing would be for people to come along and rate each section on a 1 to 5 scale, and then just use the average number. That’d be less arbitrary and would be a helpful resource to feed back to TfL and councils.
              NB, the colour coding he's talking about is for the Google Maps overlay.

Comment

From experience the high quality ones appear to be the routes that are a seperate cycles only road running next to the road (or even without a road for Hyde Park) while the low quality ones will just be a painted section of the main road.

Comment

Yeah. There can be pretty huge differences in quality, even between two things both labelled Cycle Superhighways (or that's how they used to be labelled anyway). It's the difference between this:

and this:

Comment

"They can have there superhiways when they pay there road tax."

<snizzle blort>

Comment

The Arpitan (Franco-Provencal) region encompassing France, Italy and Switzerland:

Comment

https://twitter.com/simongerman600/status/1307293874277228550

This is fascinating. I nearly put it in the jkr/dialogue thread as I've been think a lot about how Margery Allingham captured a specific Essex/Suffolk country accent in one of the Campion books, an accent that probably no longer exists.
                        Last edited by Levin; 19-10-2020, 19:42.

Comment

Do I pronounce the "r" in "arm"? Since I can't imagine how to pronounce it without, I imagine that means I don't. But then I can't imagine how to pronounce it with, in that case.

Comment

I am equally perplexed.

Is "without" essentially"ahm"?

Comment

Rolled "r"?

Comment

Or "say it as if you're a pirate"?

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                  I am equally perplexed.

Is "without" essentially"ahm"?
                                  Presumably those who pronounce "bath" and "farm" with long vowels inadvertently leave out the "r" in their pronunciation.

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
                                    https://twitter.com/simongerman600/status/1307293874277228550

This is fascinating. I nearly put it in the jkr/dialogue thread as I've been think a lot about how Margery Allingham captured a specific Essex/Suffolk country accent in one of the Champion books. And accent that probably no longer exists.
                                    A few of the old people at the church I attended on the Essex / Suffolk border when I was a child still had this accent, but I doubt there are many of them left now.

Comment

rhotic vs non-rhotic, isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                        Or "say it as if you're a pirate"?
                                        ITLAP day, init?

Comment

Apropos of which

Always the best Beatle

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_ACyZIXkHq0

Comment

I mean, "am" and "arm" are different, and the difference sound to me like an r. I don't know what rhotic means, mind.

Comment

Rhotic means you pronounce the "r" in words like arm, hard, far.
                                              To me I most associate this (in English) with Scottish people, even though I'm from the South West (just) - too young, apparently, not something I get to say often these days.

edit: I mean pronounce it as an "r" rather than just using it to change how the vowel sounds, which is how am vs arm in most English (in England) dialects changes.

Comment

It's the difference between ahm and arrrm, or talking like a pirate, yes. Do the words alms and arms sound the same when you say them?

Comment

There's no 'arm in it. (copyright JK bigot)

Comment

Have I ever shared this? Andrew Clem's amazingly detailed maps of baseball parks. Great for historians, nerds, nerd-historians, me. Also good for American football fans, since most NFL teams played in baseball parks up to the 70s (if not longer -- eg the 49ers), there's a lot of info in there on the sometimes creative fits they resorted to to wedge in an NFL field.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X