X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wormhole alert!

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
      Wow, there's some serious work gone into that. Fascinating stuff, thanks for the link

Comment

It's really weird to me that the existence of unregistered land is treated as some kind of sinister phenomenon. It's just a historical legacy, arising from the fact the land was originally all unregistered, and only becomes registered on transfer. When I studied law in the late 1980s, we learnt the systems of registered and unregistered land law side by side with roughly equal time on each.

Comment

Yes. I couldn't quite get in close enough but a chunk of land on the map nearest to my house is either the grassed area around which the houses in my close are built, and council-owned I believe, or the nearby allotment.

Comment

UK homicides (interactive map at the foot of the story): https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47156957

Quite fascinating, in a macabre way. Odd to see the likes of Mole Valley (essentially Dorking) and the Vale of White Horse (Abingdon & Wantage) at the top of the pile with parts of the big cities.
            Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 07-02-2019, 12:36.

Comment

Might it be people dumping bodies?

I’m not sure how they could definitively assign locations to homocides that haven’t been solved.

Comment

I would have thought that the locations apply to the areas in which the homicide was found to have been committed, but I could be wrong. Most UK homicides are solved, I believe, or if not a location for the original incident established.

If you'd have told me that a list of the worst 10 areas for homicides in the UK wouldn't include Hackney, Lambeth or Southwark I'd have been very surprised, but there you have it.

Comment

I realised as soon as I posted it that it was a rather New Yorkish supposition.

When I was a kid, we had lots of unsolved homicides, and lots of cases in which bodies were transported.

Comment

So far I've identified Lewes, West Oxfordshire, Rutland, Moray, Eilean Siar, Orkney Islands, Shetland Islands, Derbyshire Dales & High Peak as areas not having had any homicides in the last five years.

Comment

The British-Irish Dialect Map Quiz - going dossing in your runners and finding some hairy mollies in the process gives a very accurate geographical pin-pointing.

Comment

Has me too far west as Glasgow/Dumfries, Which isn't too far wrong if my time in ireland has given me regional language more common away fae Fife.

Comment

Had me pretty much in the right place; possibly allowing for too much Lancastrianism, but that'll probably be from my living there as a small child.

Comment

I went through the whole thing and then got a little sad face picture in place of a map. Fucking annoying. (or as we used to say on the playground "hauntingly pastry")

Comment

It had me fairly spot-on, though where I consider I'm 'from' is actually at the very southern end of the range. Probably due to spending 5 years on Teesside over 50 years ago.

Comment

Bang on Shropshire veering towards the black country. 25 years in Wales hasn't changed me much.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                  I went through the whole thing and then got a little sad face picture in place of a map. Fucking annoying. (or as we used to say on the playground "hauntingly pastry")
                                  Me too, shower of gobshites

Comment

"Definitely not from around here are you?"

Comment

Damn it - got me bang on Oxfordshire. I clearly haven't learnt anything useful in my 34 years in Glasgow....despite that being twice as long in the latter as the former....

Comment

Couldn't make up its mind whether I was from north Lancashire (Blackpool in particular), West Yorkshire (Leeds in particular, which is where I grew up) or Lincoln. But then I haven;t lived in my native city full time since I was 18, or at all since I was 22.

Comment

I got quite a large area, pretty much the whole of SE England and East Anglia, though if there was a hot spot it was the southern Home Counties, which is fairly accurate as I'm essentially a South Londoner.

Comment

It doesn't seem to have me very focused at all. I'm in a random splatter all over the South of England. It claims Cambridge and Bath as the two most likely cities. If there was a "hot spot" (following NS's definition), it probably would be the north-west Home Counties or South Midlands, which would be right for Oxford. It's interesting but unsurprising that it's the home counties which seem least specific.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                                              I got quite a large area, pretty much the whole of SE England and East Anglia, though if there was a hot spot it was the southern Home Counties, which is fairly accurate as I'm essentially a South Londoner.
                                              I pushed on and did the full 96 questions. I had no idea that there were slang expressions for tap water! Anyway, my area has been greatly reduced. East Anglia has pretty much gone and I'm very much South London/Surrey/Sussex.

Comment

I was correctly identified as a Londoner. Think it was plimsoles for shit school PE shoes that nailed it.

Comment

Solidly southwest for me which is as it should be. Grockle for tourist would have been the giveaway here.

Comment

Apparently my Mum's Kentish background is by far my dominant linguistic influence, with only a faint hint of Dad's Wye Valley origins. And not even a shadow of his Athlone granny.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X