No announcement yet.

Who likes looking at maps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An Athlone Granny sounds like one of the less sadistic instruments of torture from the Middle Ages, perhaps administering a Chinese burn whilst at the same time kicking your shins.
    Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 16-02-2019, 11:18.

Comment

I'm aware that my accent changes from vaguely northern when I'm in London where I've lived for 25 years to something much broader when I'm up north. So for that tool to pin-point me as closely as it does suggests it's quite a good piece of work.
      Last edited by Capybara; 16-02-2019, 11:38.

Comment

Interesting quiz/survey; unfortunately it doesn't work that well for me with my somewhat nomadic childhood (leading to a nomadic adulthood as well, until 20 years ago I suddenly got stuck/settled down.

Comment

Spot on accurate for me. I suspect if I ploughed on with the full quiz it would narrow it down to the street I grew up on.

Comment

Aye, Cumbria with shades of Lancs (and surpisingly, Northumberland) for me too. Obviously not picked up as much scouse as my accent would sometimes suggest.

Comment

I'm from Peterborough apparently. I spent about ten hours in the place when I was 33. It obviously made more of an impression on me than I realised.

Comment

I did this earlier, and it was spot on for me as well, right down to complementing the dark red around the northern Westcountry where I grew up with a spot of pink around the Oldham area, where my dad's from and from where I definitely picked up more language than from visits to my mum's family in Nottingham (in large part I suspect because neither of my mum's parents were actually from Nottingham, whereas my dad's dad was very much from Oldham).

Comment

Scarily accurate for me, with a big dark area where I grew up in north-east Ireland and significant colouring of my parents home areas in the west and south-east.

Comment

Not sure if this has ever been mentioned before but I'm looking for copy of an old map/poster that was given away with the Guardian once, probably at least a decade ago if not more.

It was as part of a special feature on immigration and one side of it was a map of the expatriate enclaves of London. It was quite good quality so copies of it may still be floating around but I can't find one!

Comment

Map of medieval trade routes:

Post with 1072 votes and 515656 views. Shared by MartinMnsson. Medieval trade networks v.4

Comment

That's brilliant

Comment

Mine ranged from Moray to West of Scotland and across to Fife, exactly as my upbringing did. Not sure how it could’ve incorporated “RAF Germany”
                          Ms Felicity stayed solidly in East Anglia despite Fifer faither and Cumbrian mother

Comment

Our Welsh contingent will be rather disgruntled.

Comment

(Here, a new post usually means something nice. I don't have a map. O Glasgow Underground.)

Comment

Here's a weird map showing partisan prejudice in the US by county. Along with prejudice by party, further down the page.

Frankly, I think the methodology looks very weak, and some of the authors' takeaways seem like bollocks, but it's kind of interesting.

You can create your own interpretation from it.

Here in San Diego it looks like racist gun-toting god-botherers would desperately want to date the reasonable, compassionate and tolerant, but that they'd get turned down pretty sharpish.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                  Here's a weird map showing partisan prejudice in the US by county. Along with prejudice by party, further down the page.

Frankly, I think the methodology looks very weak, and some of the authors' takeaways seem like bollocks, but it's kind of interesting.

You can create your own interpretation from it.

Here in San Diego it looks like racist gun-toting god-botherers would desperately want to date the reasonable, compassionate and tolerant, but that they'd get turned down pretty sharpish.
                                  In general, the most politically intolerant Americans, according to the analysis, tend to be whiter, more highly educated, older, more urban, and more partisan themselves. This finding aligns in some ways with previous research by the University of Pennsylvania professor Diana Mutz, who has found that white, highly educated people are relatively isolated from political diversity. They don’t routinely talk with people who disagree with them; this isolation makes it easier for them to caricature their ideological opponents.

Comment

This interactive map of Francophones per nation seems distinctly fanciful - 10m in the UK, and 5m in Spain? Even 600,000 in Ireland is far-fetched, unless they're counting every secondary school student.

Comment

Not a map, really

[URL]https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1107552367795412992?s=21[/URL]

Comment

Fascinating. I never knew that Naples was once one of the world's biggest cities.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                          Fascinating. I never knew that Naples was once one of the world's biggest cities.
                                          The most surprising one for me was Edirne

Comment

I missed that one. In which year?

Comment

Fairly early - probably around 1575 and not for long either

Comment

In the 1500s a couple of places are contracting but Vijayanagar, a city of 480,000 in 1565, just falls right off the chart. One year it's there and then it's gone. The third most populous city on the planet just drops away.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenlander View Post
                                                  In the 1500s a couple of places are contracting but Vijayanagar, a city of 480,000 in 1565, just falls right off the chart. One year it's there and then it's gone. The third most populous city on the planet just drops away.
                                                  Yeah he mentions it in the thread. Here's its wiki page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vijayanagara_Empire, and the
                                                  The beheading of Aliya Rama Raya created confusion and havoc in the still loyal portions of the Vijayanagara army, which were then completely routed. The Sultanates' army plundered Hampi and reduced it to the ruinous state in which it remains; it was never re-occupied.
                                                  When you think that it was the third most populous city in the world at the time, the devastation and massacres that this sentence encapsulates is utterly awful to imagine

Comment

That's awesome *

*the graphic, not the destruction of Vijayanagar

Comment

Working...
                                                    X