No announcement yet.

Who likes looking at maps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John Spilsbury's Europe Divided Into Its Kingdoms jigsaw map, 1766. Bigger version here.

Comment

Ah, those were the days when qualification for the World Cup was easy.

Comment

John F Kennedy's personal 'victory map' of Cuba, used during the Cuban Missile Crisis. It's up for auction, accompanied by a "detailed letter of provenance". Info here.

Comment

Roman roads mapped to modern development:

Comment

If you fancy a mooch round an interactive map of the European electrical grid from ENTSO-E, the European Network of Transmission System Operators for Electricity, there's one here.

Comment

All roads lead to Rome http://roadstorome.moovellab.com/map.../#3/46.78/9.23 (explanation and background here http://www.openculture.com/2018/05/a...d-to-rome.html)

(I have to say that on the local level their algorithm is not perfect as it shows routes through the mountains where I live which nobody would ever take)

Comment

Map showing the shortlived states to emerge following the Russian revolution. Big version here.

Comment

Fascinating, bewildering. Let's spare a thought for the flag manufacturers ... "Another bulk order, boss - cash in advance this time?"

Comment

I love Furtho's map so much. Particularly the flags, and the description of the states as ephemeral.

That's not to cast any shade on ad hoc's lovely and fascinating Rome map. But the Ephemeral States map just has so much to it.

Comment

Wow - you can't help but love the 'Soviet Republic of Soldiers and Fortress-Builders of Naissaar' somehow. And that North Caucasian Emirate flag....did that really get through the flag committee? Or did the Emir just smile and wave it through...?

Comment

Ha! I hadn't noticed that. The Emirate of Smileyface.

Comment

Ribbon Map Of The Father Of Waters, aka a scroll of the Mississippi, 1866. Zoomable version is here.

Comment

Ha, something in that North Caucasian Emirate flag makes me think they'd underestimated the challenge of fending off the Red Army.

Comment

Map showing Beeching, before and after. Big version here.

Comment

It's always a bit sobering when you see a British Railway 'then and now' comparison after Beeching. I think there had been a series of cuts even before the post-1963 decline, so god knows how full the map would have been a decade or so before.

The saving grace is that some heritage lines and reopened stations have filled some of the gaps, but there are still big swathes of land (especially in the South West, Wales, East Anglia and Northern England) which haven't really recovered. Interesting how London and the North West (around the powerhouses of Liverpool and Manchester) don't look vastly different.

Comment

Coalfields and 2015 Election Results

Comment

That’s brilliant.

Comment

I hope I'm not too late to say that I think Beeching was a prize cunt.

Comment

Mapping the North-South Border crossings:

Comment

anyone been to Boho?

Comment

What is going on with all those bits of motorway?

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
                                              What is going on with all those bits of motorway?
                                              Presumably awaiting the yearly budget allocation.

Comment

Notice no motorway to Dublin. I’ve been here long enough to remember when the Nordie bit of the Dublin to Belfast road was the best section. Now it’s laughable once you Cross Over, might be sufficient for Dundee to Aberdeen having a dual carriageway, but the two biggest cities in the island? The train is even worse, but that’s a Both Sides issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                                                  anyone been to Boho?
                                                  Undoubtedly the winner of the inverse population to length of Wikipedia entry ratio award:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boho,_County_Fermanagh

Comment

"Most popular sauce, topping or condiment for chip shop chips in the UK." More info here.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X