Who likes looking at maps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cornell Lab of Ornithology’s animated map of the migration paths of 118 bird species in the Western Hemisphere is here.

Comment

Southerners conjoin clauses like this...

Comment

Various maps of a London that never was...

Comment

Tons of old OS maps to browse through. I could spend all day on this site http://www.citymetric.com/skylines/bored-here-are-some-century-old-maps-britain-play-1788

Comment

Thanks, that's the weekend sorted then!

Comment

Saw this famous old map today; was very impressive:

Comment

Great stuff, ad hoc.

A street-by-street map of the mode of transport Londoners use to commute is on the website of the Consumer Data Research Centre at UCL, here. There's some explanatory blurb about it on The Atlantic's citylab.com site, here.

Comment

Map showing a proposed four-way split of Japan following the end of WW2. Click on the image for a bigger version.

Comment

I like how Republic of China is the only country written in Kanji, probably because it actually has a character based name originally. As well as the RoC only receiving Shikoku? I think with a few parts of cities.

Can I ask, where you found this map? Good find!
                    Furtho wrote:

Map showing a proposed four-way split of Japan following the end of WW2. Click on the image for a bigger version.

Comment

Yes, it's interesting, isn't it. I hadn't realised that suggestions of this type had been made following the end of the war, although it doesn't look as if it was seriously considered in reality. I was also unfamiliar with the Chinese flag portrayed here.

I found it on The Land Of Maps.

On a different tack, here's a map showing Lufthansa's European routes in 1937. Click on it for a larger version.

Comment

Yes, it's interesting, isn't it. I hadn't realised that suggestions of this type had been made following the end of the war, although it doesn't look as if it was seriously considered in reality.
                        I'm guessing that particular suggestion will have come from representatives of the USSR, as it's difficult to imagine that anybody else might have thought it appropriate for them to control a significant chunk of Japan after entering the war against Japan about a week or two before it was all over.

Comment

Evariste Euler Gauss wrote:
                          Yes, it's interesting, isn't it. I hadn't realised that suggestions of this type had been made following the end of the war, although it doesn't look as if it was seriously considered in reality.
                          I'm guessing that particular suggestion will have come from representatives of the USSR, as it's difficult to imagine that anybody else might have thought it appropriate for them to control a significant chunk of Japan after entering the war against Japan about a week or two before it was all over.
                          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battles_of_Khalkhin_Gol

1939 battle between the Japanese and the Russians. Of course there's also the Russo-Japanese war but I'm sure the Soviets loved that one, since it fucked over the old government so hard.

Most people don't remember the Japanese invaded China Proper (as in not Manchuria) during 1937 so China fought for longer than most countries. Well China is kind of forgotten most of the time...

Comment

Distinctly tempestuous map-related cover of an Esperanto magazine published in Romania, 1930.

Comment

A tube map with wheelchair accessibility from the street to the platform:

And the map with wheelchair accessibility from street onto the train itself:

The post itself has more information (including an older map with the same concept), as well as a slider showing the difference between the actual map and these concepts:

http://www.cambooth.net/accessibility-on-the-tube/

Comment

28 equally-sized EU member states:

Comment

Lodzubelieveit wrote: 28 equally-sized EU member states:

But I don't want to live in Anglo-Mercia!

Comment

Controversial re-establishment of Prussia, there.

Comment

The all-important cherry blossom forecast for this year.

Plus, on a kind of related issue, someone's made an app about "Japan's 72 microseasons" -- details here.

Comment

Article introducing an "interactive map of every disputed territory in the world", here. The map itself is here.

Comment

My (early) birthday present from Mrs of the Shed.

Comment

Errorist Sympathiser wrote:
                                            Originally posted by Lodzubelieveit
                                            28 equally-sized EU member states:

But I don't want to live in Anglo-Mercia!
                                            Tamworth could be reestablished as the capital.

Comment

This is the sort of thing that may well have been posted here before, but it perhaps bears repeating.

Every railway line ever in the UK and Ireland (I gather) is here. There's an equivalent covering the west coast of the US, here.

Comment

An interactive map showing the heights of buildings across London is here.

Map imagining a Japanese attack on San Francisco, 1938. Larger version is here.

Comment

Not sure about the date for these, but a couple of maps depicting tourist train routes to Brighton, where "the north" = factories.

Larger versions are here and here.

Comment

A beautiful 1936 railway map of the Japanese Empire, including Korea, Taiwan, and Manchuria. This gives a taste of what it looks like, but much better to access the large version, here.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X