More Facebook c***ery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More Facebook c***ery

I've been using Facebook this afternoon. I clicked on something an hour or so ago, and it logged me out. When I tried to log back in, I got this screen. Refreshing, trying to start again, etc, have done nothing to get rid of it.

(Click to embiggen)

What the fuck?!

More Facebook cuntery

I couldn't believe that this was true--I assumed this was some identity-theft hack...but it is:
    https://ssl.facebook.com/help/?faq=18257

Comment

More Facebook cuntery

I just tried logging out and logging back in again and it dodn't do that for me. When I installed the Facebook app on my mobile, though, it added the mobile phone number of every one of my Facebook contacts that had been daft enough to put their mobile numbers on it to my mobile phone. They were a bit of a faff to get rid of.

Comment

More Facebook cuntery

Can't you just say your mobile number is 11111 111 1111?

Comment

More Facebook cuntery

They send a code to log-in in a text to the number that's provided, apparently.

Comment

More Facebook cuntery

I don't understand this thread.

Facebook have added a new security feature. What's the issue?

Comment

More Facebook cuntery

The issue is that I haven't forgotten my password, and I don't want Facebook to know my mobile number. They're not asking everyone to give them their mobile number, so why should I have to give them mine?

I've never given them a mobile number before, so how on earth doing so now would (in the words of the screenshot above) 'confirm my identity', I don't know.

Comment

More Facebook cuntery

On the bright side though, good use of the word "embiggen" by the Facebook people at the bottom there.

Comment

More Facebook cuntery

Heh, I thought that was standard OTF speak. I've certainly seen it used by at least one other poster here recently...

Comment

More Facebook cuntery

Taylor wrote:
                    Can't you just say your mobile number is 11111 111 1111?
                    Ah, and that's a no, because after trying to click through (to try this trick) it transpires that what they do is send a code to your mobile number, which you then have to enter into a box on the following page. How the fuck that confirms my identity I don't know - anyone who'd somehow got my password could enter their own number and do the same - but that seems to be the way it works.

Naturally, there's no button at all to click for 'I don't own a mobile phone'. Or, indeed, 'I don't want to give my mobile number to Facebook, but do still want to be able to access my Facebook account'. There's also no explanation at all of why they've selected me to have this 'test' thrown at me.

Comment

More Facebook cuntery

On the plus side, a Google search for 'Facebook cuntery' throws up this thread on the first page. I'm quite proud of that. But I'd still like to be able to get into my account without giving them my mobile number.

Comment

More Facebook cuntery

SamLKelly wrote:
                        On the plus side, a Google search for 'Facebook cuntery' throws up this thread on the first page. I'm quite proud of that. But I'd still like to be able to get into my account without giving them my mobile number.
                        Could it be because Facebook has finally realised you've moved to another country?

I dunno. It's ludicrous why they should want your mobile number though.

Meanwhile, Diaspora moves closer...

Comment

More Facebook cuntery

Wait a minute ... how do we know this is the real SamLKelly?

Comment

More Facebook cuntery

Well, they've obviously seen the need to add another level of security. Google are going to introduce this as well (at least on Google Docs).

Diaspora is apparently full of security holes. And don't you have to install it on your own webserver? I can't see the average Facebook punter doing that.

Comment

More Facebook cuntery

Another word I don't understand, but my old friend Wiki tells me that "A diaspora (in Greek, διασπορά – "a scattering [of seeds]") is the movement or migration of a group of people, such as those sharing a national and/or ethnic identity, away from an established or ancestral homeland."

I still don't understand, but I feel this makes me a cleverer sort of thick.

Comment

More Facebook cuntery

Cavalry Trouser Tips wrote:
                                Could it be because Facebook has finally realised you've moved to another country?
                                Clicking the 'next' button did bring up an option to select my country and mobile provider, with 'Argentina' already selected as the country. Still, they only gave me a choice of Personal or Movistar, the 'big two' providers - if I'd been with Claro, say, or indeed if I hadn't had a mobile phone at all, I'd still be locked out of my Facebook account (I've just caved in and followed the instructions), and the wankers still haven't replied to my email yesterday asking why on earth I should have to.

Isn't it. I'm tempted to change it today, just to spite them...

Comment

More Facebook cuntery

This 'send a code to your mobile phone to enable internet stuff' thing is what my bank do here in Spain. Is it not a standard thing?

Comment

More Facebook cuntery

I've never seen it come up on Facebook before. And I don't see how them having my mobile number confirms my identity during login any more than me typing my username and password in.

To be clear, I'm not trying to access Facebook from my mobile phone. That wouldn't even be possible. I was trying to login as normal, by typing my email address and password in on my computer.

Comment

More Facebook cuntery

Yes, I didn't mean accessing internet on your mobile either, I meant sending a code to your mobile to enable passing a screen on your PC.

Comment

More Facebook cuntery

Is that the only choice you have for how they contact you?

Could you, for instance, ask them to mail or email the code to you?

Comment

More Facebook cuntery

Honestly, I don't know...But I guess they just presume everyone has a mobile these days (especially everyone who wants internet banking) and is happy to supply them with the number...

Comment

More Facebook cuntery

No, there was no option for that (there was also no explanation as to why they suddenly doubted who I was). Once I'd done it, they sent another text saying I could switch off them texting me, which I've obviously done. I still don't like the fact that they essentially made it non-optional for me to give them my number, though; even if I'd decided to delete my account as a result of this, I wouldn't have been able to do so without first giving them my number so I could get into it.

Comment

More Facebook cuntery

There are a lot of personal preferences involved in this context, and in my opinion it is a big mistake for any service provider to force you into one "delivery vector".

I'm much more protective of my mobile number than my work email address, for instance, because the latter has a very robust spam filter and doesn't ring.

Comment

More Facebook cuntery

Stumpy Pepys wrote:

Well, they've obviously seen the need to add another level of security. Google are going to introduce this as well (at least on Google Docs).

Diaspora is apparently full of security holes. And don't you have to install it on your own webserver? I can't see the average Facebook punter doing that.
                                                It's a first release by a development team of around three - of course it's full of security holes. However, because it's open source, all the holes will be plugged in double-quick time.

Your average punter won't need to install it on their own server (but for the best security, this is the best way of running it) - it will probably run in the same way Wordpress does.

It's an interesting development and I'm looking forward to giving it a spin because Facebook are clearly disappearing up their own arse.

Facebook is down right now BTW - second time in two days...

Comment

More Facebook cuntery

GMail do this every time you set up a new address. I dunno if the mobile phone rule applies to folk who try to set up an email account from within the US, however...

Comment

Working...
                                                  X