Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More Facebook cuntery

Cavalry Trouser Tips wrote:
    Facebook is down right now BTW - second time in two days...
    I'm glad that's been happening to everyone else as well, I had wondered whether it had something to do with my connection and whether that was having an effect on the message I was getting that 'inspired' this thread.

This is someone's cue to post a link to downforeveryoneorjustme, if I've remembered my lines right.

Comment

More Facebook cuntery

Its back up now.

Reports say that the site was the victim of a DNS attack.

Comment

More Facebook cuntery

Sam,
        Think it's a security feature, as if you sign in to Facebook from an unfamiliar location then it asks for additional features, eg. via the mobile as you found.
        Though if you'd already used it locally to where you are now, then have no idea why.

Recently abroad, it asked me to identify no less than 8 friends, from tagged photos on their pages, which I thought was even more odd.

Comment

More Facebook cuntery

A Doctor Speaks wrote:
          Recently abroad, it asked me to identify no less than 8 friends, from tagged photos on their pages, which I thought was even more odd.
          Your odd is probably facebook's smartest security feature of all. Ideally set up so only you would most likely recognize them all.

Comment

More Facebook cuntery

A Doctor Speaks wrote:
            Sam,
            Think it's a security feature, as if you sign in to Facebook from an unfamiliar location then it asks for additional features, eg. via the mobile as you found.
            Though if you'd already used it locally to where you are now, then have no idea why.
            That's it - I moved here in April. I've been using it since then, daily, always on the same computer (apart from when I was in Montevideo for one day during the World Cup).

And if that is the reason, why not explain that on the screen?

Comment

More Facebook cuntery

dglhand of god wrote:
              A Doctor Speaks wrote:
              Your odd is probably facebook's smartest security feature of all. Ideally set up so only you would most likely recognize them all.
              It would be a bitch for those people who blindly accept any friend request that they receive in an attempt to accumulate as big a list as possible.

Comment

More Facebook cuntery

FB keeps telling me my msdayglo email address is not valid and asks me for a proper one, possibly because I don't have a contacts list attached to it, but do have one attached to my "real" name email. They trawl your contacts, don't they? I ignore that one.

Also asks me to identify the machine I'm logging in from and suggests I label them "home" etc., but I've called them a, b, c. Supposedly this is to alert me if I log in from a strange address, but I don't have that option enabled.

Apparently Chrome is a very nosey browser, too.

Comment

More Facebook cuntery

Chrome's very intrusive, I've found. Or at least it was before I uninstalled it.

Comment

More Facebook cuntery

It's made by google. What do you expect?+

Comment

More Facebook cuntery

Your average punter won't need to install it on their own server (but for the best security, this is the best way of running it) - it will probably run in the same way Wordpress does.

It's an interesting development and I'm looking forward to giving it a spin because Facebook are clearly disappearing up their own arse.

Facebook is down right now BTW - second time in two days...
                      I'm going to remain sceptical, mainly for the reason that Facebook runs on a staggering number of servers and consumes huge amounts of power. If you're offering this service for free (a la wordpress.com), you'll need to find ways to make money off it and you basically end up reinventing Facebook.

It's nice to have an open-source alternative, but if none of your friends are one it, it doesn't serve a purpose.

What might work is if the likes of Google and Yahoo incorporate this technology.

Comment

More Facebook cuntery

dglhand of god wrote:
                        A Doctor Speaks wrote:
                        It would be a bitch for those people who blindly accept any friend request that they receive in an attempt to accumulate as big a list as possible.
                        I had to go through that same process when I logged in from a different location. I know all my Facebook friends "in real life" but some were still a pain to identify what with people posting pictures of themselves when they were 3, or "artistic" effects where you can't see a thing, or pictures of their feet, etc. I guess I deserve it for being friends with total wankers, but still.

Comment

More Facebook cuntery

I'm the latest victim of this cuntitude. I really don't want Facebook to have my number, but I also can't live without Facebook. (Not being a drama queen, I mean it's become essential for my nightclub-running activities etc.) So I'm gonna have to play along. Absolute cunts.

Comment

More Facebook cuntery

...and I've only got 7 pence credit, so I can't even play along. Fuck My Life, as I believe the young people say.

Comment

More Facebook cuntery

Is this a one time thing, or will they constantly be requiring one to pick up messages from the mobile in order to log in?

I still can't believe that they would actually do this, but if it is a one time thing, then buying a SIM card for a few quid, giving them that number, and picking up the message could be an alternative.

Comment

More Facebook cuntery

It comes to something when you've got to start acting like Stringer Bell just to get on social networking sites.

Comment

More Facebook cuntery

Which is why it doesn't make commercial sense for them to do this.

I never got used to the Italian practice of always carrying extra SIM cards.

Comment

More Facebook cuntery

ursus arctos wrote:
                                    Which is why it doesn't make commercial sense for them to do this.
                                    Do you think they're actually trying to put people off now? Has some sort of 'diseconomy of scale' kicked in? If so, you would have thought they would have simply started charging. Just the rumour of that was enough to get some people leaving the site, a few months back!

Comment

More Facebook cuntery

They are desperately trying to figure out to monetise their asset. Getting people to give up their mobile numbers helps that, because it opens another delivery vector for advertising (and enhances the one they already have, if you are also willing to give them access to your GPS (which I consider absolutely nuts, but people do it).

I'm still surprised that this hasn't gotten more play in the media. Is it affecting everyone, or only those who have signed up for mobile services or are logging in from "strange" IPs?

Comment

More Facebook cuntery

I've googled this a couple of times, and there just deosn't seem to be enough stuff on their to suggest that this is actually what Facebook are doing, and there are suggestions it might be some kind of phishing scam.

Comment

More Facebook cuntery

Don't panic - the same thing happened to me as my firm's email is routed through Germany.
                                          I gave my mobile number and even after all this it still failed to recognise me and let me in.

It was a continuous vicious circle.

I emailed Facebook and stated I never requested thie mobile password, that I now could no longer access FB and that they return it to it's previous state immediately.
                                          The next ime I logged in about 36 hours later, it was all resolved.

Comment

More Facebook cuntery

I'm not exactly sure if this would work, but for the people that don't want to give out their mobile numbers, could you set up a Google Voice account and give that number to Facebook?

Comment

More Facebook cuntery

This is the best I've seen on what they are supposedly trying to do.

The comments reflect the exasperation expressed on here.

Comment

More Facebook cuntery

Possibly it's now apparent what this was all about. If you click on "account" (top right corner) and "edit friends" you will get a page of your friends. On the left hand sidebar there is the link "phonebook". Which now contains everyone's phone number.

If you don't want this to be available to your friends, you should click "account", "privacy settings", "customise settings" and then scroll down to your contact information. Click on the drop down, which cunningly doesn't include the option to make it private, but instead has a "customise" option. Click that, and you will get a pop up with another drop down, which has the option "only me". That one will remove your phone number from everyone else's view.

Facebook: redefining the complexity of how you stop them deciding what you need to share

Comment

More Facebook cuntery

I would never imagine that putting my phone number on the internet would mean that people could not find my phone number on the internet.

Comment

More Facebook cuntery

ursus arctos wrote:
                                                    They are desperately trying to figure out to monetise their asset.
                                                    According to Techcrunch, they appear to be doing so already. Revenues are rumoured to be $2bn this year.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X