So, the so-called Windy City then

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found this thread useful prior to a four-day extended weekend stay in this great American city.

Not a big drinker but as the other posters mentioned, Goose Island had some agreeable beer. Quite liked Milwaukee's Schlitz too, which probably says too much about my palette but whatevs, innit?

The university's cool, modeled on Oxford and grand and tranquil, the Art Institute was great way to kill a few hours, the bean looks like a wide and shiny, stylish arse, and having a mint chocolate mocha from Caribou coffee while stoned and sitting in Preston Bradley Hall at the main public library will forever be a plesant memory:

The architecture is such a feature of the city. For one night we were at the Intercontinental which wasn't as plush I'd imagined--my girl's workplace paid--and then we stayed at Ditka's hotel which is called The Tremont and seems to be near or in the business district. Looks like a shithole but the room itself was decent. Nice bed and the bathroom was cool. Thermostats on the shower were a nice touch.

Snow in my face for two straight days wasn't so bad, though a ribbed, navy balaclava certainly helped, and Sorel snow boots (purchased due to a glowing testament from WOM in some other thread) ensured my feet stayed warm and dry and I kept my footing.

The El's great and the buses were good too. And the people... the people were super cool. Not sycophantic or overly familiar but certainly pleasant in a big city sort of way. Also, compared to the Bay Area anyway, most people seemed to be in good shape. All the 'Da Bears' stereotypes seemed well off the mark.

Oh, and Chicago-style pizza is excellent. Much better than Zachary's in Berkeley. Liked how the individual layers were light and creamy, though of course the overall effect was still heavy. This was at Eduardo's near the university.

Looking forward to going back in a different season.

Comment

Incidental Contact wrote:
      Looking forward to going back in a different season.
      The other season runs for June, July & August.

Comment

Been covered here before i think, but yeah, Zachary's is way overrated. Golden Boy on Green St. does a great square-thick-crust version that i associate with "Chicago style" though i've no idea how "authentic" it is.

Comment

Yeah, Zachary's isn't even in the top 5 pizzas in Berkeley. Golden Boy and Tommaso's in the West Bay are OK, but maybe a bit overrated.

Caja, September-October is awesome though, right? I am debating whether to go there for the Cal game at Northwestern in September.

Comment

I've mentioned it on here before, but I don't think I've ever been as angry after a meal as I was when I spent over 90 minutes waiting to eat at Zachary's on a Monday night. I'm not saying that the pizza was bad, but the slavish devotion that people had, including a friend that told us that we MUST eat there and that it was the BEST PIZZA EVAR meant that I was expecting something life changing.

Comment

Yeah that other season probably starts in July. Right now we've got a steady stream of alternating weather: one day snowing like crazy, next couple days freezing (single digits Farenheit), then snow again. Why did I ever leave LA. People love the seasons. To hell with the seasons. I can visit the seasons. I'll take 75 year round.

Comment

Working...
              X