The WTF? Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
    Ha! That was Alan Sugar's 'treat' for the 'winners' in last week's I'm a Fucking Lousy Business Person Get Me Out of Here or whatever it's called. I was just flipping through the channels, honest.

Comment

I hope treibeis doesn't look at this thread. And adult ball pool with cocktails would probably be the thing that sends him over the edge.

Comment

It does, and I've been there (on a work team night out). It's exactly as depressing as you might expect - the "highlight" was a colleague losing his fitness tracker watch and the attendant (who was there ostensibly to ensure the safety of adults in a two-foot deep ball pit) shrugging his shoulders and saying "happens a lot, that".

Comment

Who else went straight to the 'Ball Cleaning' tab?

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
            Sports punditry is a real gateway drug to political conservatism. Think of all the terrible ideas that are part of football discourse. Whether its victim blaming those on the receiving end of illegitimate violence, the open questioning of the characters of young black men to a disproportionate degree, based on their appearance and body language

The nostalgia fuelled rejection of change, the replacement of consistent rules for all to follow, with arbitrary judgement based on the common sense of the 'majority'. To the elevation of magical thinking, magical individuals, the belief that deep rooted structural problems can be addressed by just getting the right angry leader in to lay down the law,

and then of course there's the relentless sportswashing of mass murdering regimes of fundamentalist extremists, the veneration of Russian oligarchs, the glorification of billionaires.......

christ only knows what the American lads are going to get up to.
            IIRC, the flow was usually in the other direction. Remember when ESPN had Rush Limbaugh back before he went full racist. And then he said something racist about Dante Culpepper and they fired him. We also had Dennis Miller on MNF, although he wasn't full right-wing then.

Comment

Donovan McNabb (though he probably also said something racist about Dante Culpepper, given who he was).

Comment

I hope treibeis doesn't look at this thread. And adult ball pool with cocktails would probably be the thing that sends him over the edge.
                No fear of that, I should think.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                  Donovan McNabb (though he probably also said something racist about Dante Culpepper, given who he was).
                  You're correct.
                  I always got those two guys mixed up ever since they were in the same draft.

Comment

https://twitter.com/BrynHGriffiths/status/1618204792408649729?t=PnmYnY8dcxpkztKrGcutDA&s=19

Comment

Nothing says winter like a...

Like a what? The suspense is killing me.

Nothing says winter like an inappropriate Nazi fetish? Nothing says winter like a war fantasist? Nothing says winter like a pair of fascist socks? What could possibly make sense at the end of that sentence?

Comment

Genuine ad apparently. All in the best possible taste

Comment

(For the benefit of our international audience, that's a picture of Dr Harold Shipman, the serial killer)

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post

Nothing says winter like an inappropriate Nazi fetish? Nothing says winter like a war fantasist? Nothing says winter like a pair of fascist socks? What could possibly make sense at the end of that sentence?
                            ah balders Wehraboos need Toasty tootsies too.

I don't know if I would have lead with Guernica tbh. They were used in that attack, but they were a very small part of it. It was the german equivalent of the spitfire, so I would have gone with the battle of britain, or the invasion of Russia.

Comment

Company name pronounced Heil Tread?

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                This whole sports commentators moving into right wing political commentary grift seems wild to me. I guess gammony older men are the dominant consumer demographic for both.
                                Last night I watched a short YouTube video about pool from a channel I hadn't come across before. It was about the sport's exciting growth and what might lie ahead for it in 2023. It was mostly fine (albeit not saying anything I've not said in my pool threads down in Sport), but ended with an impassioned five-minute plea to Josh Rogan to please, pretty pretty please start promoting pool and maybe start commentating on the Mosconi Cup (the guy making the video seemed to assume Matchroom would just let him do so). I don't think I've ever gone from 'might look at what else this channel has to offer when this video ends' to 'never watching anything by this guy again' more quickly.

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post

For some reason that tweet appears to have disappeared from the sock company's own timeline. They've got some that appear to be promoting a car-themed line of socks that read 'nothing says winter like a drawer full of your favourite petrolhead socks', though, so my money's on your third suggestion.

Comment

https://twitter.com/ryanmarino/status/1619743590607122432?s=61&t=-BwaUzJ2t97To9ZB02WlRg

Comment

Oh wow, The first one is very famous, but the rest of those are just worrying.

Comment

I could swear we've done that one already.

Comment

Is that a parody or has she completely gone round the bend?

Comment

what the fuck indeed

https://twitter.com/loffredojeremy/status/1619786795943710721?s=20&t=-7EzMnEB9IZ0rgbsO9vCmA

Comment

https://twitter.com/RBrockPhysics/status/1620101380609544193?t=gMJJfVf7zzFXXOrdy4AO3A&s=19

Comment

https://twitter.com/i/status/1619788831993266176

Comment

I hope that bridge it one way. I'd hate to have to reverse on it.

Comment

That is so cool! Had to track it down, turns out it's Shiziguan Floating Bridge, which features in various YouTube videos (though, oddly, doesn't seem to have a page of its own on Wikipedia yet).

Comment

Found
                                                    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-...into/101917828

Comment

Working...
                                                    X