No announcement yet.

The WTF? Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People are evidently flocking to La Palma to enjoy a volcano which has wiped out homes, livelihoods. Beds which could be used for emergency services are occupied. And the airlines, with their prixe hikes, are making hay out of a real disaster.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
      Is the EU really trying to insist ever device has the same charger? Is that really a priority?
      Well it becoming a policy is a few years off, but it seems like a good idea. The fact that most devices these days use a single charger is a great advance on the past.

Is it a priority? Not really, but you have to make small changes as well as big

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
        The fact that most devices these days use a single charger is a great advance on the past
        I don't understand (I'm not technological!) They used to use a double charger?

Comment

No in the past every device had a different charger. Now, nearly all use the same type (meaning you only need one charger not an entire cupboard full)

Comment

Ah I see...Apple being a big exception?

Comment

Gonna buy some *checks notes* German world war 2 soldiers for the kids this Christmas.

Comment

And as I've just discovered, cobi toys are a Polish company.
                They say, time's a healer...

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                  Ah I see...Apple being a big exception?
                  Yes, but even some of their devices apparently now use the USB C charger (though of course being Apple they've been the ones to loudly moan about this)

Comment

Hilariously, Apple are now shipping iphones without chargers to save the environment, but they've changed the charger end of the cable from USB to USB-C. So to use the cable, you're highly likely to require a new charger anyway. (Which they of course will sell you for £40 in it's own box and packaging etc.)
                    When I pointed out to the person in the shop that I had lots of Apple chargers I was told "but they won't charge as fast." I can live with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Delicieux View Post
                      Gonna buy some *checks notes* German world war 2 soldiers for the kids this Christmas.

I'm not sure I see what's so odd about this. My son has a Wehrmarcht tank, two Luftwaffe planes and a German ground crew in his Airfix collection.

He has British ones too, I should add - he's not Father Fitzpatrick. But you can't do WW2 with only one side.

Last edited by Kevin S; 27-09-2021, 09:49.

Comment

The manufacturers seem to make it pretty clear from the face designs of the toy soldiers who the baddies were.

Comment

Hang on... This can't be real can it?
                          https://twitter.com/almostconverge/status/1441700171226783744?s=19

Just read the comments (recommended by the way. God as T Rex for example cracked me up) and it seems to be genuinely true
                          Religious "purity culture" in the USA is beyond weird.

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
                            The manufacturers seem to make it pretty clear from the face designs of the toy soldiers who the baddies were.
                            Not enough skulls...

Actually this reminds me, the Airfix planes come with transfers, but while the German ones include the Balkenkreuz for the wings and fuselage, they omit the swastikas for the tail. I wonder how many emails and meetings it took to make that decision.

Comment

Just the one telling them that it couldn't be sold in Germany with it, I imagine

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post

I'm not sure I see what's so odd about this. My son has a Wehrmarcht tank, two Luftwaffe planes and a German ground crew in his Airfix collection.

He has British ones too, I should add - he's not Father Fitzpatrick. But you can't do WW2 with only one side.

When I was going through my airfix phase, I seem to remember it being extremely long on British and German ships and aircraft, and extremely short on everything else. The only American models available were modern stuff

Comment

There's a few others these days, though not loads and loads. But if you're at a loose end with €10 burning a hole in your pocket you could have a go at a Zero:
                                  https://www.shadylanemodels.co.uk/ou...r-Set-172.html

Comment

I do like how there is a whole secondary market for extra, more detailed parts for kits as well as wide ranges of decals. For no real reason I found myself looking to see if you could do all the Polish and Czech RAF units and I think you can do most with aftermarket support.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                                      There's a few others these days, though not loads and loads. But if you're at a loose end with €10 burning a hole in your pocket you could have a go at a Zero:
                                      https://www.shadylanemodels.co.uk/ou...r-Set-172.html
                                      I'm trying to remember if I had a zero. I think I had some form of us carrier fighter, but it was likely also used by the Royal navy.

I would be shocked if there wasn't a yamato model given how prominent it has become in the discovery channel era of history

Comment

My first kit plane was a Zero.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post

I'm trying to remember if I had a zero. I think I had some form of us carrier fighter, but it was likely also used by the Royal navy.

I would be shocked if there wasn't a yamato model given how prominent it has become in the discovery channel era of history

I think my only ever model kit was the Yamato.

Mighty, heavily-armed battleship it might have been, but you should have seen the state of it after my mum accidentally booted it into my bedroom wall.

Comment

This isn't really WTF but I didn't know how to find the Italian politics thread.

https://twitter.com/leonardocarella/status/1442808299972407298

Comment

Salvini is blaming the media and bleating about "Who will restore Luca's dignity?"

Comment

The thread is here, btw

https://www.onetouchfootball.com/for...olitics-thread

Comment

This isn't really WTF but I didn't know how to find the Italian politics thread.

https://twitter.com/leonardocarella/status/1442808299972407298
                                                  I'm starting to assume that public racism and homophobia are just really extreme negging.

Comment

We all know how ghastly they are, but some of the specific examples on the #ExposeChristianSchools hashtag are still mindboggling. This is the pick so far. Content Warning for bizarre institutional abuse.

https://twitter.com/Code_ith/status/1443246567297855489

Comment

Working...
                                                    X