No announcement yet.

The WTF? Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That’s what the real-world Pennsylvania equivalent of Felicity Huffman actually looks like.

Comment

Yeah was a poor joke. She looks like she'd break her legs as soon as deep fake a video.

Comment

As would Ms Huffman, methinks

Comment

Rachel Dolezal to be featured in documentary on Black beauty

Comment

I've seen some weird corporate pivots in my day, but pivoting from "fire and rescue emergency services in the Middle East" to "wealth management" is possibly the weirdest. Also, nothing says trust us with your money like "litigation against our former auditors".

Comment

So, Priti Patel’s expenses, eh?

Comment

If you can watch until the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post

I always read "shoplifters" as "shopfitters" (and vice versa)

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post

I always read "shoplifters" as "shopfitters" (and vice versa)
                    There is a company near me called Kiddie Shopfitters, who I half think sound like a cover for a Fagin type organisation.

Comment

This thread is excellent
                      https://twitter.com/nick_kapur/status/1373281874013999111

Comment

Nick is excellent

And his book on the anti-American protest movement in 70s Japan is the definitive work on the subject

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post

Oh dear...

Comment

I didn't really know where to put this:

Comment

The guys and gals are Miniatur Wunderland have been a bit bored during lockdown it seems.

Anyone who watched the video all the way through will get a sense of the scale of the place, i.e. that it is vast - two whole floors of a dock warehouse. Hamburg's no.1 tourist attraction... yes, even including Minigolf im Stadtpark.

Comment

Crikey, that Hamburg place is quite something indeed. Reminds me I'm long overdue a trip to Hamburg to visit friends there. I lived there for a year in 84-85 and went back umpteen times up to around the turn of the millenium but quite possibly haven't been there for 20 years. I think my youngest daughter would love the Minatur Wunderland.

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
                                  Crikey, that Hamburg place is quite something indeed. Reminds me I'm long overdue a trip to Hamburg to visit friends there. I lived there for a year in 84-85 and went back umpteen times up to around the turn of the millenium but quite possibly haven't been there for 20 years. I think my youngest daughter would love the Minatur Wunderland.
                                  You should go. Your daughter might love Miniatur Wunderland, but also you will love Miniatur Wunderland. It attracts all sorts. There was a stag do in when I went there.

Comment

https://twitter.com/peter__leonard/status/1379903434648862724

Comment

It says something about my own dear leader that i was relieved he didn't gurn to the camera, try to do a wheelie, or fluff a scripted gag at the end.

It appears i am ready for slow-motion post-Soviet choreography and an expressionless dictator in Saint-Etienne knockoff trackie bottoms.

Comment

Sorry, slight tangent, but I see that the president's name is Gurbanguly M?likguly?ewi? Berdimuhamedow, which seems to include a Russian style patronymic as middle-name: not just the fact that the middle name is a patronymic (I don't know whether there was any local tradition of that or whether the custom was a Russian import), but the ending of the patronymic is linguistically clearly Russian. Obviously the Pres was born and named way back in Soviet times. I wonder whether that naming custom vanished pretty quickly with independence.

Edit: the final two letters of his surname also appear to be Russian-inspired. I think that was very common around the Tsarist empire/USSR, e.g in Azerbaijan the Aliev clan.
                                        Last edited by Evariste Euler Gauss; 08-04-2021, 09:06.

Comment

https://twitter.com/sammisam147/status/1381720773728083973

Comment

My dad found our old copy of "Lion Country," a monopoly-based game with local businesses from State College. It's from the mid-80s, so it's fun to see which businesses bought in. Most of them aren't there any more, of course.

Comment

Speaking of gems in the attic, my dad also found a game program from the 1968 Penn State-Navy game. The local ads are a blast from the past - especially one for a "supper club" that lists its location as "across from the girls dormitories." A lot of ads for contractors that clearly bought an ad as a favor to Penn State, their biggest client.

Not many black players on either team, but none at all on Navy. I was surprised about that.

That PSU team went undefeated - including a win at UCLA - but didn't get a chance to play for a national title.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                                My dad found our old copy of "Lion Country," a monopoly-based game with local businesses from State College. It's from the mid-80s, so it's fun to see which businesses bought in. Most of them aren't there any more, of course.
                                                wasn't there something similar in the UK in the early 80s featuring leading UK companies?

Anyone remember it, and how many are still extant?
                                                Last edited by Guy Profumo; 13-04-2021, 15:54.

Comment

Life's a Bitche, isn't it?

Facebothered delete French town's page

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-56731027

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post

wasn't there something similar in the UK in the early 80s featuring leading UK companies?

Anyone remember it, and how many are still extant?
                                                    There are editions for most colleges and college towns, I think. I'm not sure how they avoid copyright infringment, but it's pretty easy to remake Monopoly with any group of properties or companies.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X