No announcement yet.

The WTF? Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There was a time when Autogrills on Italian motorways were designed as destinations, but that was quite a while ago

Comment

This always seemed cool as fuck on our way down to Blackpool.

Comment

In the '60s and' 70s, motorway service stations were just about the shiniest and most modern thing about the UK outside of the rarely-visited airports.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
          This always seemed cool as fuck on our way down to Blackpool.
          Closed of course, because there's no separate fire exit(s)

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
            I believe Rheged services on the A66 fancies itself as "Cumbria's leading family day out".
            The cafe at Rheged is actually very good, as is the cheese shop.

Comment

Oh yeah I know, I've been. On a day out (really)

Apparently the coffee from the vending machine in the petrol station bit is also the bestest in the world, according to my former manager who used to arrange team meetings at our Workington office on the flimsiest of pretenses just so he could stop at Rheged for a coffee on the way there.

Comment

That does not seem in any way enough recompense for having to go to Workington. Or, indeed, Wukkiton.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post

Closed of course, because there's no separate fire exit(s)
                  Well that brings back some memories. I used to work there 20+ years ago during the summer to earn money for Uni.

I managed to get permission to go up the tower just the once - it was shut even back then.

Comment

Motorway services are one category of subject featured in the “Boring Postcards” volume I have - a collection of amusingly bewildering picture postcards from the late 1950s and 1960s, when concrete structures seem to have been considered very exciting.

Comment

Do you also have Yugoslav War Memorials?

https://www.theguardian.com/artandde...-spomenik-tito

Comment

Mitch McConnell's hands. WTF?

Comment

He's been having intravenous treatment for something (he's had a bandaid on the back of his hands for a while) and they can no longer find a vein.

Comment

Those Yugoslav war memorials are amazing!

Comment

https://twitter.com/nearlylegal/status/1319973495019810816

Comment

https://twitter.com/EdinburghLive_/status/1321451734997340160

Comment

Comment

An officer who served multiple tours in Afghanistan described that as the most Taliban thing he had ever seen

Comment

Well here's a thing. Earthing sheets.

Why Sleep Grounded? Many are unaware that the Earth’s surface is covered by a blanket of electrons, which may act as one of nature’s most powerful antioxidants and anti-inflammatories. Every time we come into contact with the Earth’s surface, we are able to absorb these electrons through our skin through a process called grounding, or Earthing.

Grounding during sleep provides the body with multiple hours of these free electrons, at a time where the body undergoes the most healing and regeneration.

Comment

Yeah, a woman I work with has gone full earthing and is now barefoot anywhere she sees dirt or grass. Unfortunately she lives in a tall condo at Jarvis and Richmond.

Comment

Wouldn't they make you more likely to be struck by lightning in your sleep? No way I'm taking that kind of risk.

Comment

This goes here, I think.

Con artists sell Aladdin's Lamp to Uttar Pradesh doctor.

But then, that's UP.

Comment

https://twitter.com/abdulamemon/status/1323042744101646346

Comment

Originally posted by S. aureus View Post
                                                Wouldn't they make you more likely to be struck by lightning in your sleep? No way I'm taking that kind of risk.
                                                The opposite. Like charges repel, and lightening is generally (but not exclusively) an electron discharge from cloud to ground.

Do you sleep outdoors often?

Comment

You would get lots of static shocks if you built up your own electron charge, though. That is how it would dissipate. Which would make sleep unpleasant.

I'm giving this woo way too much credence and thought now.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                                                    The opposite. Like charges repel, and lightening is generally (but not exclusively) an electron discharge from cloud to ground.

Do you sleep outdoors often?
                                                    No, I was being facetious.
                                                    I'm not sure if I'm getting your reasoning here, though - if you lie on an earthed sheet then you are earthed yourself (being mostly water), thus providing a conduit for electricity to go from the clouds to the ground. If you don't and sleep in a normal bed there is insulation between you and the ground so the electricity would probably find a different path to take.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X