No announcement yet.

The WTF? Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It has become a terrible tourist trap, but can still have its moments.

Comment

Now I think about it, Cheesecake Factory clearly belongs on the WTF thread, whether or not it's involved in a pile-up on I-5 in Washington.

There are a handful of restaurants around here with names like "Extraordinary Desserts" and "Eclipse Chocolate" that you'd think were dessert only. But, in fact, they have full savoury menus. The closest to dessert only restaurants are ice creamy places and coffee and patisserie places.

Comment

Why do these places have such ridiculous names?

Comment

Because every single aspect of them is ridiculous.

Comment

People should not go to them until they either change their names or their menus.

Comment

When I was a kid, we'd visit my grandparents in Clearwater, FLA. There was a place we'd go called The Kapok Tree, which was like a massive restaurant that Liberace would have designed after a long night drinking brandy from a young man's navel. I've never been in a Cheesecake Factory, but those pictures look like the modern equivalent of The Kapok Tree.

Comment

I've been there (late 60s/early 70s), and I think you are largely correct, though somehow The Kapok Tree seemed rather more refined.

We also used to go to Luchow's when I was a kid, which was a similar idea though with a massively Bavarian vibe. They had an "oom pah band" that played in a gazebo in the corner of the main dining room and went all out in terms of Christmas decorations.

Comment

I still have my parents' Kapok Tree 'bamboo' style glasses. I absolutely love them. Have to hand-wash the buggers, though.

Comment

Someone will know this - possibly AE? - but there's a fabulous cafe in Istanbul that just (mainly?) does desserts with coffee; baklava, ice cream, verde, halva... I tried to google it but kept getting the Pudding Shop, which I don't think is the one. It's not far from Hagia Sofia.

It's probably the nicest combo for route to/location for T2 diabetes I've yet found.

Comment

Fantastic: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/disab...sport/50476087

Comment

Ridiculous name?
                        Dessert oriented (more-or-less)?

Alas, closed in 2016 after 107 years.

Comment

I'd be intrigued to know precisely how the car ended up in this position:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...lands-50529593

Comment

I'd be intrigued to know what mind altering substances were taken by the driver and his mates.

Comment

When you call your online bank Cow.

Comment

https://twitter.com/alexhern/status/1199718149903585280

Jesus, what the actual?

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                  I've been there (late 60s/early 70s), and I think you are largely correct, though somehow The Kapok Tree seemed rather more refined.

We also used to go to Luchow's when I was a kid, which was a similar idea though with a massively Bavarian vibe. They had an "oom pah band" that played in a gazebo in the corner of the main dining room and went all out in terms of Christmas decorations.

I can't not see the word kapok and not think of the secret design idea from WW2, "kapok landing stage"

Unlike the giant panjandrum, which was a black ops design leaked to the Wehrmacht to make them think the invasion was coming across the Pas de Calais onto the flat beaches, this one was real.

Comment

So peas are a no-no at Thanksgiving, then?

Comment

Ohio law demands the impossible.

Comment

Reminds me of the Indiana pi bill, whose language implied that pi equals both 4 and 3.2.

Comment

Brandeis failed to anticipate the seizure of control by mad non-scientists

Comment

Old news, but a friend of mine recently encountered him in Glasgow, suffering from "the drink".

18th February 2014Drug driver with German name who wanted to mention the war

When motorist Viktor Albrecht von Werra was stopped after causing a series of near misses at the wheel of his BMW in a normally quiet village, he decided to mention the war.

The 61-year-old claimed that villagers in Comrie, Perthshire, where he had narrowly missed hitting a number of other cars, were against him because of his German name.

Von Werra, who despite his name was born and raised in Cambuslang, South Lanarkshire, suggested the reason for the festering resentment - more than 60 years after the Second World War ended - was because the village once housed the Cultybraggan Prisoner of War (PoW) camp.

He said at his trial at Perth Sheriff Court yesterday: "I am not particularly popular in Comrie. There are a lot of people who live in the village, and if you have got a German name ..."

Von Werra, 61, who uses the name of famed German Second World War fighter pilot Franz von Werra online, now faces a driving ban after he was found guilty of driving under the influence of drugs last December.

Conducting his own defence and sporting a morning suit and clutching a silver-tipped cane, von Werra, of Crieff, was found guilty of driving under the influence of drugs after a sheriff ruled the witnesses against him had no axe to grind.

Witness Ian Douglas, 66, said he saw von Werra's BMW 5 Series ahead of him on the road and watched as he narrowly missed crashing into a number of cars. Mr Douglas said: "He was weaving so far back and forwards across the road that it was far too dangerous. He started going right across the line in the centre of the road.

"He started weaving. He went across and just about hit a car. Further on he nearly hit a van. We went close and got the registration number.

"I was frightened, to be quite honest. I said, 'If he hits somebody, who is going to be next? It will be us.' I phoned 999."

Constable Vicky Taylor, 37, said: "The roadside breath test was negative. He seemed impaired in some way and it was not alcohol, so it must have been another substance.

"He had slurred speech, was unsteady on his feet, had a pale complexion and bloodshot eyes. He was a bit odd. He appeared to be not quite there.

"He took quite a long time answering questions. He was not really listening to what we were saying or understanding the reason for us stopping him."

Constable Rory Miller, 24, told the court that von Werra - who admitted taking methadone and diazepam - had glazed-over eyes and was staggering.

Police surgeon Dr John Auld said he examined von Werra after he was arrested following the incident on the A85, adding that the "examination wasn't normal".

Dr Auld said: "Due to poor concentration, poor balance and flickering of the eyes and no short term memory I believe he was under the influence of drugs and in no state to drive a car."

Von Werra told the court his eyes were not bloodshot and that the police were mistaken.

He said he was taking a number of prescribed drugs for his ailments, which included sciatica, deep vein thrombosis, depression and knock knees.

He told police: "I suffer from insomnia. The night before I hadn't slept. I was rather tired."

Comment

Peas are fine, but usually the vegetable is some kind of green bean casserole. I’m not sure why.

It doesn’t matter.

Comment

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1202241181398290432

Comment

He's got nothing else to do, hasn't he?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X