No announcement yet.

The WTF? Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For about the 40th time today (and it's 0.14 here) I'm facepalming on behalf of the US.

Then I remember where I live.

Comment

Meatless meatballs is a stupid phrase. I'm in with criminalising someone who produces a product and calls it that. But 'burger' often has a prefix. See: hamburger, beefburger, chicken burger. That the type of meat used is specified surely shows it isn't intrinsic to the product.

Comment

[waits for ursus to come along and reassure us all that this will be struck down immediately by the courts as wild overreach by the legislature]

Comment

It's Mississippi. I don't make book on their state court decisions.

The article notes that Missouri passed a similar law last year, was immediately sued, and is now in "settlement negotiations" with the plaintiffs. I'm not sure how one settles something like this without caving completely (which may be what Missouri is contemplating).

It is, however, yet another helpful illustration of just how batshit crazy many state legislatures have become.

Comment

I believe Canada also has fairly bonkers regulation on that front - that anything vegetarian claiming to be a "burger" or "sausage" or other "simulated meat" has to have the same nutritional content as their meaty equivalent. That means it needs to be shoved full of protein, and almost always animal protein. This is, of course, a protection forced in by the Canadian meat producing industries.

Comment

Pure unadulterated regulatory capture by the animal cruelty industry.

It seems like the first amendment should apply here. If it says “meatless,” I don’t see how it could be considered deceptive.

Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 08-07-2019, 00:37.

Comment

I believe Canada also has fairly bonkers regulation on that front - that anything vegetarian claiming to be a "burger" or "sausage" or other "simulated meat" has to have the same nutritional content as their meaty equivalent. That means it needs to be shoved full of protein, and almost always animal protein. This is, of course, a protection forced in by the Canadian meat producing industries.

I didn't know that, but it's quite possible. However Canada is also throwing a whole bunch of incentives at pulses (the beans/peas in pods) as the veggie lookalike steak industry is growing like topsy and we're best placed to monetize it apparently.

Comment

I believe that at the moment the only way to sell simulated meat in Canada is to basically pump it full of egg protein and chemicals, thus leaving access for what HP calls the animal cruelty industry. If you take that out, you have to start changing the name to "veggie patties" or something similar.

Comment

Well the Canadian beef industry = Alberta, and as they're already considering declaring UDI if they don't get their pipeline, I don't imagine Justin will want to poke them in the ass with another sharp object.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                      I believe that at the moment the only way to sell simulated meat in Canada is to basically pump it full of egg protein and chemicals, thus leaving access for what HP calls the animal cruelty industry. If you take that out, you have to start changing the name to "veggie patties" or something similar.
                      I suspect that most vegetarians are clues into all this and are used to reading labels carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

I suspect that most vegetarians are clues into all this and are used to reading labels carefully.
                        Probably. But, apparently, there's a burgeoning second-level market who don't want to eat beef — because of the environmental implications. They're quite willing to eat other meats, depending on how they're produced, but beef is massively the worst offender from a sustainability PoV.

Comment

Ship owned by JP Morgan seized with $1 Billion worth of drugs.
                          https://markets.businessinsider.com/...9-7-1028340025
                          Last edited by Tactical Genius; 11-07-2019, 01:00. Reason: added link

Comment

Our taoiseach recently suggested that he tries to have one day where he doesn't eat meat, and people got really fucking upset. The Farmers lost their minds, and it essentially seemed as though anyone who wasn't eating steak for breakfast was stabbing Hibernia in the face. That said, our beef industry is now in for some interesting times. They were heavily encouraged by the Govt and their own greed to massively expand the national herd after the end of the EU quota systems, so we moved from a situation from we had stocking levels, where farmers would only have to buy fodder to feed their animals through the winter, in a bad weather year, to a situation where most farmers have to buy in fodder in a good year. This means that when the weather is shitty, the whole industry is at risk of going under. Then the other main effect of every farmer doubling the number of cattle they have, is that the price has fallen. Now the EU has struck a trade deal with Mercosur to import beef among other things, (And Phil "The fighting Irish" Hogan is Agriculture commisioner.)

This is going to get really super messy.

Comment

Maybe he wanted to abstain from cannibalism every once in a while.
                              https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a7023661.html

Comment

Will it be fuckin Beef Wars that bring down the Govt? Seems a v Fianna Fáil cause to get behind

Comment

There is a non-zero chance that our JPM banker has put some of our money into that "maritime assets strategy", though I would have been more likely to notice if it was producing cocaine-level profits.

40,000 pounds of coke is just a staggering amount to me, and yet we still haven't heard anything about disruption of street level dealings or people related to the ship ending up dead, which is somewhat perplexing.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                    There is a non-zero chance that our JPM banker has put some of our money into that "maritime assets strategy", though I would have been more likely to notice if it was producing cocaine-level profits.
                                    They are bankers, it's their job to obfuscate the origins of money and wealth, you should take that article to your banker and ask why your return on investments are not in the triple digit percentage points.
                                    As the LOX once said, "we take coke money and invest in computers"

40,000 pounds of coke is just a staggering amount to me, and yet we still haven't heard anything about disruption of street level dealings or people related to the ship ending up dead, which is somewhat perplexing.
                                    A logical explanation is there are so many cargo ships laden with coke coming through the US ports that this staggering amount is still too small to move the needle.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                      Our taoiseach recently suggested that he tries to have one day where he doesn't eat meat, and people got really fucking upset. The Farmers lost their minds, and it essentially seemed as though anyone who wasn't eating steak for breakfast was stabbing Hibernia in the face. That said, our beef industry is now in for some interesting times. They were heavily encouraged by the Govt and their own greed to massively expand the national herd after the end of the EU quota systems, so we moved from a situation from we had stocking levels, where farmers would only have to buy fodder to feed their animals through the winter, in a bad weather year, to a situation where most farmers have to buy in fodder in a good year. This means that when the weather is shitty, the whole industry is at risk of going under. Then the other main effect of every farmer doubling the number of cattle they have, is that the price has fallen. Now the EU has struck a trade deal with Mercosur to import beef among other things, (And Phil "The fighting Irish" Hogan is Agriculture commisioner.)

This is going to get really super messy.

You'll be glad to know that I'm doing my bit to help out and bought a couple of highly competitively-priced Irish rump steaks yesterday.

Comment

TG, both your points are well taken. Perhaps you should start a subscription newsletter.

It is precisely your second conclusion that I'm struggling to process. 40,000 pounds is just a massive haul, and would be more on the street as it is nearly always cut before being sold. With that kind of volume, I would have expected there to be visible residue in every bathroom on Wall Street, but I honestly haven't noticed.

Comment

What is wrong with these people?

Just fuck off climbing the rock.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-48946585

Comment

And. While we're at this:

"I will show you fear in a handful of dust."

Comment

I hope the fuckers run out of water.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                                TG, both your points are well taken. Perhaps you should start a subscription newsletter.

It is precisely your second conclusion that I'm struggling to process. 40,000 pounds is just a massive haul, and would be more on the street as it is nearly always cut before being sold. With that kind of volume, I would have expected there to be visible residue in every bathroom on Wall Street, but I honestly haven't noticed.
                                                Some impoundings of stuff really does seem to make a dent in street available gear, whether awful pre Ireland based growhouse green soapbar or worse gak. Back in the beforetime, there would be many smoke droughts in Ireland post large customs/garda hauls at the port, if only cos hoods would be too wary of moving their stockpiled product while the drug fuzz were looking to be competent and incorruptible for a bit.

but that's for an island off an island at the edge of Europe.
                                                Last edited by Lang Spoon; 11-07-2019, 23:15.

Comment

Originally posted by Reginald Christ
                                                  Link dunt work.

Keeps telling me I can't log in to my account.

What account?

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post

Link dunt work.

Keeps telling me I can't log in to my account.

What account?
                                                    Says on mine there's an age restriction. Maybe you're too old.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X