No announcement yet.

The WTF? Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, don't fucking get me started on the Everest lot. Seriously...some of the highest-achieving, highest-earning, most physically-able people on earth and they all have the exact same lifelong dream of achieving the same thing as thousand of others stretching back half a century now. Fucking morons.

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
      It stands at five deaths now - mostly due to the exhaustion of a ~12hr wait in line at altitude and not being strong enough to make it back down.
      It's officially seven in the past week. But it's predictably 5 or 7 each and every year.

Comment

An Irish Guy died there about a fortnight ago. His last tweet was about passing the time in base camp listening to the second captains.

Comment

That picture is just nuts. Apparently everyone was calling it a fake, but Outside magazine seem convinced that it's real. The weather window this year appears to be even smaller than usual - they have to be off the mountain by June 1st because of their permits (and their permits say that because people die if they're up after the start of the monsoon which brings a ton of snow and moves the jetstream back far enough south to blow 100mph winds consistently at the summit), and the weather in the first part of the window, from Mid-April up 'til now, has been crap. Which means that all 800 climbers seem to be trying to hit the Hillary step over less than a week.

Comment

Camden small businessman has novel way of drumming up publicity.

http://camdennewjournal.com/article/...to-camden-town

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1132379206623682565?s=21[/URL]

Comment

Is that a full scale replica of the ark? The 300 cubits by what ever?

If so, where the fuck did Noah get all those planks?

Comment

You gonna go to Hell with impudent questions like that, son.

Comment

I thought it was like this thing he built in his back yard. I didn't realize it was the biggest structure in the world not called a pyramid. Now I'm merely reminded of how much I loved that bill Cosby sketch when I was 8

Comment

He's going to Hell too.

Not that it wasn't funny AF, of course.

Comment

I wonder is it on the same album as the spanish fly skit. That has not aged well.

Comment

The Spanish Fly skit is on this one (yes, really)

Last edited by ursus arctos; 25-05-2019, 22:49.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                            Oh, don't fucking get me started on the Everest lot. Seriously...some of the highest-achieving, highest-earning, most physically-able people on earth and they all have the exact same lifelong dream of achieving the same thing as thousand of others stretching back half a century now. Fucking morons.
                            Considering it's around £50k a pop it's no wonder who does the climbing. It's all a bit nuts, but I still find it quite amazing that there have only been around 7000 ascents of Everest by 4000 different climbers, mainly because of the Sherpas who do all the heavy lifting. I've no idea when it became a thing, but even say it was the year 2000, that's only around 300 folk a year. There must be a good proportion of those in that photo and it's probably slower than the queue in Aldi.

Comment

I joined OTF while working for this man. Garcia worked as well for him.

Comment

I always wondered what happened to them, and sort of assumed that they had been acquired by Betfair or similar.

Ireland produces rather atypical accountants. Michael O'Leary being another prime example.

Comment

That was a very strange set up. Murdoch was involved somewhere along the line I think.

Comment

Indeed, the article mentions that. Paul Tudor Jones as well.

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/jana_pruden/status/1133187887464423424?s=21[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                                        This image is massively WTF and depressing. The line at the top of Everest because of a clear window of weather and everyone going at the same time. Not sure if it has its own thread.

I saw that on Twitter earlier and assumed it was fake!

Comment

Not sure how WTF this is, but it feels WTF to me.

Boy attacked by a mountain lion on a local trail not far from here.

Comment

Not all that WTF around these parts. If a cougar gets desperate it'll try and take down an adult, certainly a child.

Comment

https://twitter.com/amychozick/status/1133340461056352256

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                                Not all that WTF around these parts. If a cougar gets desperate it'll try and take down an adult, certainly a child.
                                                When my son was just a toddler, the cougar at the Toronto Zoo took an immediate and earnest interest in him through the glass. Pacing back and forth, bobbing his head to find a way out. Nobody else...just him. If it had been in the wild, kid'd have been a goner.

Comment

Now you too can heat your homes using freedom.

Comment

https://amp.businessinsider.com/how-...e-world-2018-7

Comment

Working...
                                                    X