No announcement yet.

The WTF? Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And Alice Harlequeen. (drag artiste, UK)

Comment

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-21-mile-chase

Some of our US posters will no doubt confirm that "only in Florida"

Comment

Also could be in the Well-Regulated Militia thread

https://www.philly.com/news/pennsylv...-20190412.html

Comment

So, New Hope is more than vintage trains and antique shops, I guess

Comment

It's also the gateway to Lambertville.

Comment

Rare emu-like bird attacks and kills owner in Florida

Be wary of cassowary

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                Also could be in the Well-Regulated Militia thread

https://www.philly.com/news/pennsylv...-20190412.html
                If he was black, the officer would have emptied the clip in him and probably reloaded.

Comment

For a second, I thought you were talking about the bird.

Cassowaries turn out to be seriously dangerous and unpredictable. The National Zoo doesn't allow its keepers to be in the same enclosure with them at any time.

Yet another Aussie thing that can kill you.

Comment

A bit chilling that they're in the Class II category, with alligators and honey badgers and other things that don't give a fuck.
                    Class I is just your garden variety death machines, like lions and bears.

Comment

Honey Badgers, did someone mention Honey badgers? . Honey Badgers: Masters of Mayhem is my favourite nature documentary ever. Even the name is the best name ever. Much like raccoons, I am torn between the twin impulse of wanting one as a pet, but also being glad that I'm at least 3,000 miles from them.
                      Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 15-04-2019, 16:01.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                        For a second, I thought you were talking about the bird.

Cassowaries turn out to be seriously dangerous and unpredictable. The National Zoo doesn't allow its keepers to be in the same enclosure with them at any time.

Yet another Aussie thing that can kill you.
                        When I lived near Canterbury during the seventies, John Aspinall had one (or maybe a pair) at Howletts Zoo Park - which was about five minutes up the road from my folks' place. I remember it frightening the bejayzus out of one of my primary-school friends when he and another kid tried to take a short cut through the park.
                        Last edited by Jah Womble; 15-04-2019, 15:55.

Comment

Comment

I can't stop laughing at that cartoon.

Comment

They can jump nearly 7 feet in the air, run 31 mph "through dense underbrush," are skilled swimmers, and they look like they want to fuck you up.

Comment

The trafficking of all animals needs to be greatly curtailed and regulated, but the trafficking of dangerous exotic animals is especially egregious.

Comment

Up until the Middle Ages, Madagascar had elephant birds.

and this picture was next to the above in google images

Comment

All birds look like they want to fuck you up. It's just that most of them aren't big enough. The ones that are can be mean mothers. Personally I wouldn't argue with anything much bigger than a Starling.

Comment

Hmmmm, a starling was trying to build a nest in my roof a few years ago. When we covered the space it was getting in through with wire mesh it spent days aggressively pecking away at it in an attempt to dislodge it.

I'm going no bigger that a blue tit.

Comment

That honey badgers documentary is highly recommended.

Particularly for anyone interested in the origins of Berbaslug's posting style.

Comment

Thirded on the documentary. They're like small, hairy tanks with no fucks left to give. It's an ace watch.

Comment

On the birds / feathered dinosaur thing, it's worth remembering that that is in fact exactly what birds are.

My girlfriend had never heard of a cassowary before, so last night we had a look at a few videos on YouTube. There's one filmed by a couple on a beach in Australia, where a cassowary wanders out of a patch of trees and starts following them down the beach. The guy picks up a fallen tree branch to try to distract it and I'm thinking, 'no don't do that, don't make it feel threatened!' The cassowary walks right up the woman's phone (which she's holding on a selfie stick, as a shadow reveals at one point) and starts pecking it, and as the couple walk away it just keeps following them. On a couple of occasions it breaks into a trot to keep up and although I know everything was obviously fine because otherwise the video wouldn't have got uploaded to YouTube, I couldn't help panicking for them. I think it can only have been a young one because they grow 2 metres tall (or as either the BBC or the Graun put it, '6 feet, or 2 metres').

Comment

Some more big bird WTF news:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-sco...ting-along-a82

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno View Post

and this picture was next to the above in google images

The latter looks like Phorusrhacos - a flightless prehistoric bird that could grow to more than eight feet in height.

Built like a brick sh*thouse, it could outrun and catch pretty much anything. That soldier would've been disembowelled before he'd even cocked his rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                                  That honey badgers documentary is highly recommended.

Particularly for anyone interested in the origins of Berbaslug's posting style.
                                                  That made me laugh. To which I should add that, much as I admire the tenacity of honey badgers, I'm a huge fan of Berbaslug's tenacity in making his (to my mind thoroughly cogent) points on the Brexit thread.

Comment

h[URL="https://twitter.com/CrazyinRussia/status/1118217974308065280"]ttps://twitter.com/CrazyinRussia/status/1118217974308065280[/URL]

Comment

Working...
                                                    X