No announcement yet.

The WTF? Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Via Flula Borg's podcast (though it seems this was an internet thing a few months back), Tom Cruise is older than Wilford Brimley was when he was in Cocoon.

Comment

Thanks to something I saw on twitter this morning, here is the wikipedia page of one Joseph Lau, a billionaire from Hong Kong https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Lau

The WTF part of this is that he has been convicted and sentenced of crimes in Macau, but is safely in Hong Kong...because HK and Macau have no extradition treaty between them. Between Hong Kong and Macau. Two cities that are so close to each other that they just opened a bridge between them. Two cities that are part of the same country. I mean I could go on.

Comment

One country, three (plus) systems

Comment

Gerry Adams cookbook.

Comment

https://twitter.com/kendallybrown/status/1080504640641400833?s=21

Comment

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...-a8712981.html

Franck Ribery responds to criticism over his gold steak.

Comment

Lower right

[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DwZ9M7NXQAA57WZ?format=jpg[/img]

Comment

Ursus' link:

Comment

Road sign flattens car on freeway in Melbourne, Australia.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-...​​

Comment

There are 900,000 cubic yards of borderline inedible American cheese clogging up US industrial freezers. I'm sure this is a serious issue for dairy farmers, but I'm just baffled that cheese is measured in cubic yards.

Comment

There is another kind of "American cheese"?

Comment

I suppose that depends what you mean by American cheese. "American Cheese" is, by definition, borderline inedible and what seems to exist by the hundred-thousand-cubic-yard. There is, I am led to believe, acceptable cheese that's made in the US, but this almost always seems to be soft goat or sheep milk cheese which is not something I'm generally partial to.

Comment

Don't you get bog standard UK supermarket cheddar type stuff even? Or is that only in fucking WholeFoods stores?

Comment

I always want to work out per capita numbers when I read stats like that. The current US population is around 325m, so 900,000 cubic yards is around 1 cubic yard for every 360 people in the US, or 1 cubic foot for every 13.3 people, which is approximately 130 cubic inches per person, but that includes infants and the aged so young active adults need to eat more than that. Still more after allowing for non-consumption by vegans and the lactose-intolerant. Have some pickle with it, it'll be fine.

Comment

There is decent cheddar made in Wisconsin, Vermont and New York available in pretty much every supermarket in NYC.

I was referring to this stuff, which by law cannot be sold as "Cheese" tout court. As you see, it is labelled as "Pasteurized Prepared Cheese Product"

and gets distributed to the poor like this

Comment

There's something like a sub-par mild English cheddar that you can get in US supermarkets. If you want even a Tesco 2-strength generic medium cheddar you have to go to the special Deli section.

For a country that treats drowning almost all its food in a melted-cheese-adjacent high grease product as something akin to a necessary religious ritual, it's amazing how little the US actually cares about the taste of its cheeses.

Comment

Bit late but that 5,000-year-old t-rex/Jesus riding the stegosaurus story is astonishing.

Comment

It is worth noting that Ursus talks of NYC supermarkets. In many respects NYC is an independent city state with only marginal cultural connections with "real" America. That you can get decent cheese in New York does not mean you'll find it in Chillicothe, Ohio or Minot, North Dakota.

Comment

Kraft or whatever ezee singles are acceptable in a toastie, providing one is baked enough.

Comment

The version sold in Europe is considerably closer to actual cheese than that available here.

Just another thing the UK residents will have to look forward to post-Brexit.

Comment

I can't stand American cheese, although I grew up eating it (and liking it). When I eat it now, it just tastes like plastic.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                                              Bit late but that 5,000-year-old t-rex/Jesus riding the stegosaurus story is astonishing.
                                              Indeed - I saw something like that on my travels once. It made my gut hurt.

I mean, believe whatever fairy stories you like - but you can't have it both ways.

Comment

Not going to Brazil any time soon...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...spiders-brazil

Comment

Oh, and the sharp cheddar from Walmart is pretty tasty. Albeit, much better when melted with something else.

Comment

I like it on a tuna melt with a slice of tomato. I had that for lunch yesterday.

Actually, to clarify, my cheddar was not from Wal-Mart.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X