The WTF? Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The WTF? Thread

How is a 62-year old drug still on patent? I know the manufacturers can game patent extensions with small changes, but I've never head of one that long. Unless that story is missing an important detail, this sounds like a situation where until now there wasn't enough incentive for generics to go on the market before, but now there is.

Doesn't mean he's not a shithouse, of course.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

You probably missed this in all of the coverage of pig sodomisers:

WARNING: Graphic descriptions in article. If you're squeamish, don't read past the headline.

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/09/florida-man-reaches-inside-woman-and-disembowels-her-for-uttering-exs-name-during-sex/

Florida, of course.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Jesus fucking Christ, that article could have done with a warning.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Incandenza wrote: Jesus fucking Christ, that article could have done with a warning.
          Edited. Sorry about that.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

I haven't clicked, in part because I felt the URL gave me all the warning I needed

Comment

The WTF? Thread

I guess if you're on a mobile device, you might not be able to see the URL before you click on it.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

But anyway, what the fuck is wrong with people?

I knew a woman whose estranged husband murdered her. He did some pretty horrible things to her--most of which I hope he did after she was already dead, like pulling her teeth out with pliers and stuffing the handle of a tennis racket inside her. That used to be my benchmark for the most horrible thing I had ever heard of a man doing to a woman in a domestic situation. That story I linked to is the new benchmark.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

ad hoc wrote: I haven't clicked, in part because I felt the URL gave me all the warning I needed
                  That. I'm not squeamish, usually, but that made my head swim a little.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Fuck a duck, that's intense.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Does this happen in Lubavitcher communities outside of Brooklyn?

The stench of death, of hot entrails, feces, and blood, pulled at the nostrils of the hundreds crowded along on a closed-off half-block of President Street in Crown Heights on Monday evening. The source of the odor was the chickens that men wearing aprons and shower caps were slaughtering by the dozen under bare bulbs on a makeshift stage taking up 50 feet of sidewalk for the ritual offering of kapparot.

Organized by Eshel Hachnosas Orchim, a group that hosts many of the thousands of Hasidic Jews who travel to Brooklyn from around the world to celebrate the High Holy Days in the home of the late Rebbe Menachem Schneerson, the event offered participants the opportunity to buy the chickens for $12 each—roosters for men and hens for women. Chicken in hand, the purchaser would read a prayer as the bird is waved over his head three times, then hand it off to have its throat slit as a reminder that death could be nigh and he should repent.

To an outsider, the slaughter is grim, but in the crowd, amid a chorus of cheeping chickens, the mood was upbeat. A father fielded a phone call to assure a relative that he had ordered chickens for his wife and each of his children and was just waiting for them to be handed over. A mother of two infants rocked her double-stroller back and forth as her elementary-school-aged sons examined their feathered acquisitions. Teenage boys drifted through the crowds in groups, newly emboldened with their hints of facial hair and felt hats, while deputized others rattled buckets collecting donations for various institutions.
                      It's been happening there for my entire life, but has become rather more of a thing recently, in part because of the increasing boldness of anti-animal cruelty protestors and in part because of the ubiquity of camera phones.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Speaking of Yom Kippur, here is what happens when a Chicago television station lets the kidz do its graphics

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Next time you are in Amsterdam and hungry. Don't go here.

Burgers include Hot Mama, Juicy Lucy and Pink Lady.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

"Men's Rights Activists" have started a "No Hymen, No Diamond" Facebook page.

A hashtag like #poppedcherrydontmarry may seem like someone making an awful joke about olden times, but for some men’s right’s activists, “No Hymen No Diamond” has become a battle cry. And for a group of at least 1,000 on Facebook, it’s a way of life.
                            I'm going to look for some aliens so I can volunteer for their experiments.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Four in ten Americans want not only a wall between Mexico and the U.S. They want a wall between Canada and the U.S.

Now, let me hit this really hard: Jake, below, thinks that if you put up the Mexico wall, them sumbitches are just as likely to try to come in t'other side. They're gonna, you see, sneak up the coast from Mexico .... past California, Oregon and Washington....and then sneak in through some unguarded brush somewhere between B.C. and...well, let's pretend it's just B.C. So let's build a wall high enough not to be able to get over. A wall.

Jake Crosan, 73, a retired truck driver from Pigeon Forge, Tennessee, is someone who does favour a wall along the Canadian border, if one is built along the southern border.

“If you cut off one, they’re going to come in the other way,” said Crosan, a Trump supporter. “It’s desolate up there in some places on the Canadian border and they’ve gotta do something up there to stop them from coming in.”
                              http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/four-in-10-americans-want-wall-on-canadian-border/article26513258/

Comment

The WTF? Thread

So, about those residence visas you guys offer to people with some liquid funds?

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Visa, schmisa. It's desolate up here in some places, according to Jake. Memo to Jake, it's desolate everywhere up here with the exception of about 20 semi-urban border points.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

I think this wee stramash may be peak Twitter.

The old news story referenced in the first tweet is pretty good as well.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

I am now following The Isle of South Uist on Twitter.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

I think most of the islands have their own account. South Uist followed me back, but lickspittle forelock-tugging North Uist didn't.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Geoffrey de Ste. Croix wrote: Next time you are in Amsterdam and hungry. Don't go here.

Burgers include Hot Mama, Juicy Lucy and Pink Lady.
                                          I saw that in Amsterdam, and did a double take. It sounds like something fuckwit Americans or Brits would go to before walking around the red light district, too scared to have sex with a prostitute.

The worst part is the Juicy Lucy is a real burger, and is fucking awesome. Their burger is not a real juicy lucy.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Where's a good country to emigrate to?

I've had a stultifying afternoon arguing with Blairites on the tinters, and between that and America's descent into idiocy, I think I'd like to move elsewhere.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

I wonder if the people who are in favour of walling the land borders of the US know that those borders are 7,500 miles long. I suspect that a lot of them have only looked at a map of the US a couple of times, and seem to think that the border is merely inches long.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

You underestimate the number of Republicans involved in the construction industry.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Where's a good country to emigrate to?
                                                  Essentially every possible destination on the face of the earth has been slagged off on here at one time or another.

Though I've always thought Canada was nice.

Then again, that may be because that emigrating to Canada was my go to Vietnam War draft avoidance strategy (my mom offered to drive me or shoot my toes off).

Comment

The WTF? Thread

ursus arctos wrote: You underestimate the number of Republicans involved in the construction industry.
                                                    We just need to reframe it as a massive government infrastructure project to see their heads explode from the contradictions.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X