• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The WTF? Thread

That's really quite sad

Comment

The WTF? Thread

I found it very funny and very sad. Really strange story.

This one's a week and a half old, and perhaps slightly overshadowed by other events in the same country, but the Syrian government has opened a new park in Damascus, and named it after Kim Il-Sung.

The opening ceremony on Monday, which came as Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) fighters battled rebels in a district in southern Damascus, was attended by deputy Foreign Minister Faisal Mikdad.

He called Kim, described by rights organisations as a brutal dictator, "a historic ruler and leader, famous for his struggle to liberate and build his country".

"For this reason, he deserves to be honoured in Syria," Mikdad said.

In response to a question about the international community's criticism of the North Korean founder, Mikdad told AFP news agency that "whoever criticises [Kim] is absurd and stupid".

Mikdad also praised North Korea for "standing with Syria against terrorism".

Mikdad asserted that the relations between Syria and North Korea are strong, lauding the Korean support for Syria in the face of "terrorism" and affirming the need to improve bilateral relations.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

The strap-on boyfriend story. I mean, it's really sad for the victim...but doesn't something like that take two to tango? Did she never once touch his penis when they were having sex? There was also a lot of conditions put on their close-up interactions that you would assume would require a lot of suspension of disbelief from someone.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

It's like one of those occasions on Jerry Springer where someone has been married for years and their wife/ husband brings them on the show to tell everyone that they're actually a pre-op transvestite.
          I mean, how could you not know?

Comment

The WTF? Thread

In 1903 the owners of a Coney Island amusement park thought it would be just wonderful to publicly execute an elephant by electrocution, poison and strangling, and film the whole thing for posterity.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Edison was not a nice man.

Does this one take the cake?

You've heard of $900 cupcakes and $34,000 puddings. But a birthday cake loaded with diamonds and hand-sculpted fondant just smashed the record for the most expensive dessert ever created.

Price tag: $75 million.

The decadent cake was created by British designer Debbie Wingham, who rose to fame when she crafted the world's most expensive dress for $17.7 million. The extravagant dessert was purchased by an unnamed buyer in the United Arab Emirates, who bought it for his daughter's joint birthday and engagement party.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/sep/15/royal-navy-death-ray-laser-cannon-ships-2020

LASER DEATH RAY

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Edison was not a nice man.
                  Indeed not. I think it was in one of Bryson's books I read about his dirty tricks in his battles against rivals in the new business of electricity generation.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Saw this on a Guardian article about Arsenal first being on TV in 1937. 'Comedian' Cyril Fletcher. Even given that it is 1940 humour, I dare anyone to get through the entire clip without cringing themselves into a tiny ball.

Arthur Atkinson from The Fast Show was a documentary, not a parody clearly.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

ha ha, that's quite something. From the Wiki page on Fletcher:

. He founded Associated Speakers, an agency for after-dinner speakers, on whose books were the likes of the Duke of Bedford and Lord Longford, as well as himself
                      I once attended a lawyers' conference in Germany about private equity M&A transactions. A local private equity executive had been invited (foolishly, by the arsehole of a lawyer who was in charge of proceedings) to give an "after dinner speech". Whether because after dinner speeches are not a "thing" in Germany perhaps, or just because it wasn't his thing, he stood up after the dessert and gave a 55 minute powerpoint presentation* about the recent business deals of his firm, its market share trend etc. I thought at the time that that must be the most painful after dinner speech experience in history, but now I'm no longer sure.

* in a mumbling monotone

Comment

The WTF? Thread

I enjoyed Cyril Fletcher, though was expecting some (anachronistic) canned laughter, or at least a Python-esque buzzing applause of old ladies.

I love love love Arthur Atkinson: "is that a moustache on your lip?"

Comment

The WTF? Thread

OTFers of a certain age will remember Cyril Fletcher's appearances on That's Life!

I'm retro-wincing as I type.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

EIM wrote: http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/sep/15/royal-navy-death-ray-laser-cannon-ships-2020

LASER DEATH RAY
                            Royal Navy?

More of a US Army type of thing, I'd've thought?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HgejSCHRi8

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Nocturnal Submission, this is for you! From 13:55 onwards

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9N3sZDq4Qs

Comment

The WTF? Thread

If that's what I think it is I'm going nowhere near!

Comment

The WTF? Thread

I know have a That's Life! theme tune earworm, you absolute bastards.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Some local/office news WTF for you. Long story short, my work e-mail account received a broadcast e-mail that said basically: "There was an investigation, we cooperated fully, if you do this stuff, you'll get fired". Unfortunately, the link for the report wasn't live this morning.

Well, the link is live now and it's quite choice. Quite choice

The office responsible for performing background checks on prospective employees fraudulently charged (time and attendance) for about 1.1 million dollars. Then they intimidated a whistleblower.

A highlight paraphrased: At a social event, one employee held a knife in his hand while cutting the cake and while making a stabbing motion said something to effect of "This is for who went to the OIG!"

The footnotes are great too. Somebody had fun writing this.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Thanks, that is gold. The chart showing the decline in the discrepancy in hours reported and actually worked after the investigation was known is great. Hiring someone that the guy was boning as a contractor? Of course!

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Worth a cross post on the civil service thread.

What's up with the huge spike at the beginning of July? Did people need money to buy fireworks?

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Some automotive WTF for you. VW has been selling diesel cars in the US with a computer code designed to circumvent emissions testing software. It allows the cars to pass the test, while spewing 40x the acceptable particulate under normal driving conditions.

They have been ordered to recall 500,000 cars and face a potential $18 billion fine.

http://www.thestar.com/business/2015/09/18/volkswagen-faces-18-billion-fine-for-smog-control-cheating.html

Comment

The WTF? Thread

The full report is now online as well for the Commerce OIG (at the same link I posted above). 62 pages of it detailing employee misdeeds with only a few redactions here and there.

Amazing.

Granted, the VW thing is pretty amazing too.

"What a country!"

Comment

The WTF? Thread

wizards did 9/11

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Well, there was certainly one dirty wizard involved.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Wholesale electricity price in Texas was negative for a while...

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Shithouse.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X