The WTF? Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The WTF? Thread

And cut off the nascent boom in interior locker-decoration supply?

You, sir, are a job killer.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

ursus arctos wrote:
      Locker chandeliers are real.

Is the economy really so bad in the United States? Because apparently things are good enough for middle school girls to buy things like chandeliers, rugs, and "fashion bins" for their school lockers. The NY Times says that schools are now the "latest frontier in nesting.... Peek inside, and find lockers outfitted with miniature furry carpets, motion-sensor-equipped lamps that glow when the door opens, mirrors, decorative flowers, and magnetic wallpaper in floral and leopard-print patterns."
      Raise. Taxes. Now.
      I feel like throwing up

Comment

The WTF? Thread

"The latest frontier in nesting."
        I wonder what brave new worlds are yet to be conquered in the world of nesting! I'm guessing interior decoration and "hand pampering accessories" for your trouser and coat pockets.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Renart wrote:
          "The latest frontier in nesting."
          I wonder what brave new worlds are yet to be conquered in the world of nesting!
          My car had the option of a shag rug for the centre of the dashboard.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Reed John wrote:
            Number. A large number of spiders.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Were the fuzzy dice standard equipment?

Comment

The WTF? Thread

That locker thing doesn't seem so terrible, as conspicuous consumption goes. Compared to, you know, driving a Ferrari to school or something. It's a bit girly-girly and all that, but how much would three square foot of wallpaper and a miniature lampshade set you back?

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Worn Old Motorbike wrote:
                  You could put dollhouse furniture on it!

Comment

The WTF? Thread

That locker isn't even big enough to stuff a nerd into.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Renart wrote:
                      Worn Old Motorbike wrote:
                      You could put dollhouse furniture on it!
                      I declined the option. Now I feel a bit foolish.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Wyatt, the article was putting minimum expenditure at more than USD 100.

The number of kids who drive a Ferrari to school is infinitesimal.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

There's not much wrong with that, I think. (Except the colours/patterns!) It's not much different to 'personalising' your desk at school by drawing on it. As someone who appreciates functionality, I think it makes the space less 'fit for purpose', but so long as she can fit her stuff in there, I suppose it's okay.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Ah, right! If it's a snob thing, then fuck 'em!

Comment

The WTF? Thread

It's the commoditisation and competitiveness of the thing that pushes my buttons.

I'd also argue that it is less personalised (for being more commoditised) than old school decals, badges and photos torn from magazines.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

I "personalized" my locker in high school, but with pictures cut out from magazines, stickers, and such. That classic locker-interior look can be achieved for very little money even today, I would imagine.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

ursus arctos wrote:
                                  It's the commoditisation and competitiveness of the thing that pushes my buttons.

I'd also argue that it is less personalised (for being more commoditised) than old school decals, badges and photos torn from magazines.
                                  Agreed.

I had pictures of athletes and superheroes that I found inspirational.

We also had those "half lockers" that were not big enough to stuff a 9th-grader into.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

We had half-lockers (top, middle, and bottom, which were the worst) until we were seniors, I think, and then we got full-length lockers.

I wish I had taken pictures of mine. I remember I had a Skull Skates sticker, an Otis Sistrunk football card, and a bunch of band photos cut out of Rolling Stone and Spin. (Fishbone, The Cure, and Moz, among others, I'm sure.)

Comment

The WTF? Thread

ursus minor has never had a locker.

I feel that he's missing out somehow.

I had a Moratorium Until the End of the War decal.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

We never had lockers at school. We did at 6th Form college, but it was somewhere obscure and out of the way so I never used it.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Reed John wrote:
                                          We also had those "half lockers" that were not big enough to stuff a 9th-grader into.
                                          You weren't trying hard enough. That's what origami class is for.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

I never got lockers, because by the time that I got to high school they had been all locked and were no longer issued to students because of safety reasons (fearing kids hiding weapons in them).

There's a building at UCLA that has lockers in them. One of them has a lot of old stickers on it...when they give students the orientation tour, they tell you that it was Jim Morrison's locker, and the stickers were all tabs of acid that he dropped before classes. One of the many false urban legends that they tell you on the tour.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Maybe kids won't need lockers now that so much of their material is online. They'd just need a secure place to stash their coat in winter.

The primary purpose of the locker was so you didn't have to lug 40 lbs of textbooks and notebooks everywhere. I had a hard time remembering which book I needed for each class so I got a huge backpack and just carried half a day's worth of stuff around everywhere. I took everything home. No wonder o have back issues.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Comment

The WTF? Thread

http://www.statecollege.com/news/local-news/police-psu-student-jailed-after-holmesfoster-trespassing-incident-897887/

This happened across the street from me. These incidents are common in State College but not usually so far from downtown.

I don't think I'd have called the cops on a drunk kid on my sofa, as long as he/she was cool about it.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Reed John wrote:
                                                    ... the escalating nastiness between a few Jewish gold traders in Toronto? Holy shit.
                                                    And the plot thickens.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X