Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• caja-dglh
    replied
    I have looked a little to see if this is here or any other thread (even the NYT thread although this is quite a good investigation). It is certainly really messed up and a relatively long read.

Seeking social media stardom for their underage daughters, mothers post images of them on Instagram. The accounts draw men sexually attracted to children, and they sometimes pay to see more.

Leave a comment:

• caja-dglh
    replied
    I think he is simply joking on this theme.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Does he mean Clamato?

It isn't alcoholic

Clamato /kləˈmɑːtəʊ/, /kləˈmeɪtəʊ/, /kləˈmętoʊ/ is a commercial drink made of reconstituted tomato juice concentrate and sugar, which is flavored with spices, dried clam broth and MSG.[1] It is made by Mott's.

Leave a comment:

• beak
    replied
    I get the disagreement with the term "reclamation", but would say the term at least makes a little more sense when discussing e.g. draining marshes and fens, where the land has always been present but inconvenient to humans, as opposed to piling tons of mud, rubble, and dead gangsters into a body of water.

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    That is a thing - variant of Michelada - but not in Boston, as far as I know.

Leave a comment:

• San Bernardhinault
    replied
    Clamation is probably some disgusting cocktail they drink in New England made out of clam juice, tomatoes and Sam Adam’s lager.

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    Originally posted by ad hoc View Post

This https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_reclamation

(though actually land fill is a better term for it than land reclamation, since the land isn't being "reclaimed" in any meaningful sense)
    Landfill or infill is better.

We can't be said to be "reclaiming" it. We're just "claiming it." There's no "re" about it. The area, in most cases, has been underwater as long as the humans have been in the area.

But "clamation" is not a word.

Claymation, however, is a word.

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
    My understanding had long been that the Boston Marathon is a public holiday so the non-athletic Boston folk can spend a day getting shitfaced.
    Not exactly.

It's on Patriot's Day, which is a rare example of a state holiday, officially observed in Massachusetts and a few other states but not nationally. It honors the first battles of the American Revolution/War of Independence in Massachusetts.

Patriot's Day was established in Massachusetts in 1894. The marathon has been run on that day, as part of the celebration, since 1897.

People in Boston get shitfaced on any day off work.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    ad hoc Would you consider the traditional Dutch practice centred on drainage and the construction of barriers to be more fairly described as "reclamation"?

I would be inclined to do so.

Leave a comment:

• The Awesome Berbaslug!!!
    replied
    Most of what is considered the city of Belfast, is built on a variation of this. You don't want to dig down too deep

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    It is a weird usage for the US, too

We would say that the area of Manhattan has been expanded since the 17th century through "building on fill" but that "fill" was/is stone, gravel, dirt, construction debris, right etc.

A "landfill" is where garbage goes.
    Last edited by ursus arctos; 12-03-2024, 20:53.

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post

Oh, I had the same reaction as you. What does it mean by landfill then?
    This https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_reclamation

(though actually land fill is a better term for it than land reclamation, since the land isn't being "reclaimed" in any meaningful sense)

Leave a comment:

• Simon G
    replied

This apparently:

https://www.wbur.org/news/2021/06/14...ging-shoreline

Leave a comment:

• Balderdasha
    replied
    Originally posted by ad hoc View Post

I was watching this thinking that's a lot of rubbish until I realised that it didn't mean landfill in the way I think of it

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
    https://twitter.com/OnlyInBOS/status/1767566224853213273

This is Wild. No spectacle island though
    I was watching this thinking that's a lot of rubbish until I realised that it didn't mean landfill in the way I think of it

Leave a comment:

• caja-dglh
    replied
    My understanding had long been that the Boston Marathon is a public holiday so the non-athletic Boston folk can spend a day getting shitfaced.

Leave a comment:

• The Awesome Berbaslug!!!
    replied
    https://twitter.com/OnlyInBOS/status/1767566224853213273

This is Wild. No spectacle island though

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied

What's a graduated alcohol tax?
    It would mean that the rate goes up the more one drinks. But that’s not really feasible.

Leave a comment:

• San Bernardhinault
    replied
    Maybe Caja’s Boston Marathon involves carrying bags of peat around southern Lincolnshire in the snow.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
    The Boston Marathon is not known for debauchery.
    I was wondering if things had changed since my time

Leave a comment:

• Balderdasha
    replied
    It would be helpful to have a graduated alcohol tax, but I don’t know how that would work.
    What's a graduated alcohol tax?

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    The Boston Marathon is not known for debauchery.

Leave a comment:

• caja-dglh
    replied
    I am not sure why everyone is so surprised about a cross-country Boston Marathon equivalent.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied

That’s a big brawl. I doubt there are many college football games with that many injuries.
    That's what I was thinking as well.

Though perhaps the threshold for being treated for alcohol poisoning is lower than on most US campuses.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Originally posted by Janik View Post
    One of my Norwegian relatives once explained that the Norwegian annual alcohol consumption per capita is mid-range for Europe. However, most Norwegians don’t drink anything at all most of the time (to damn expensive with all the tax). But on those few days when they do drink it’s a “sod the cost” sort of deal, which is why the annual average is maintained... and other consequences.
    This is reminiscent of the Finnish Midsumner drowning statistics.

I'm not sure that a graduated tax would work with groups that large.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X