The WTF? Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The WTF? Thread

In continuing Rob Ford news, a number of loose threads have come together with this allegation. In brief, he used his connection to some footballer friends in jail to throw a beating into his ex-brother in law, who was going to spill the beans on Ford's drug and alcohol issues and his connections to gangs. Hoo boy.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/brother-in-law-abused-in-jail-to-keep-quiet-about-rob-fords-drug-use-lawsuit-alleges/article16590910/#dashboard/follows/

Comment

The WTF? Thread

So is this the thing he was caught ranting about on video?

Comment

The WTF? Thread

That's what I was wondering.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Meanwhile, a school in Salt Lake City took lunches away from kids in the cafeteria, in front of everyone, because their parents owed the district money for meals:
          http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/57468293-78/lunches-olsen-lunch-district.html.csp

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Words fail.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Ginger Yellow wrote: So is this the thing he was caught ranting about on video?
              That's one of the threads, yeah. The court document specifically says that the 'rant' video was about this. Also, something cryptic that a judge said during the Project Traveller hearings is tied in. It might also point to Ford's mysterious late-night drop in at the jail where he was denied a visit, but I'm not sure about that one.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

More Canadian news.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

I find this deeply creepy.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

5-15 record? They should have posed him flat on his back.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Something similar was done for a gang banger kid in the US a couple of years ago. Stood up in the coffin with gold chains and a baseball cap, iirc.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Is it weird that that doesn't bother me at all?

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Nor me.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

I think there is a tradition of this actually. Maybe just in the Spanish speaking world.

When I saw Blancanieves there was a really weird scene which showed the fathers wake. He was formally dressed and sat on a sofa. Then everyone queued up to have their photos taken with the corpse. At the time I thought it something just in the film but a couple of weeks later I saw a blog post about a collection of similar photos.

I can't find the right search terms now to re-find the post.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Giant jellyfish looks like huge pile of sick...

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Anyone following this story?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-26065283

It's the guy who allegedly bobbed across the Pacific for a year in a fibreglass boat. I'm officially calling 'bullshit' on the whole thing.

Believe it or not, I'm a bit of an armchair 'bobbing about at sea tale' enthusiast, and this guy doesn't look like the real deal. He looks marvelous, to be frank.

After two or three months at sea, you look like a piece of burnt bacon with two eyes that may or may not blink. You're malnourished and dehydrated beyond all recognition. This guy, even though hospitalized, still looks like he could build you a house.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

I read this when the story broke. The impression I got was that several people — Mexican consular officials included — felt there was something not quite kosher about his story. OTOH, if it isn't true how did he get there?

Comment

The WTF? Thread

This piece describes some holes in the story.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

In the story of the Essex, they were in a very similar situation - experienced sailors, all - and were damn near reduced to skeletons in 95 days. And this guy has been out there for 13 months? Mmm hmm.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

The Bristol Bedmonster crocodile.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

WOM, given your interest in the subject, do you know anything about the three Mexican fisherman who were discovered after nine months?

Their story, which seems to have held up to scrutiny, is referenced in many reports about the Salvadorean sailor.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Let's party like it's 1689.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

ursus arctos wrote: WOM, given your interest in the subject, do you know anything about the three Mexican fisherman who were discovered after nine months?

Their story, which seems to have held up to scrutiny, is referenced in many reports about the Salvadorean sailor.
                                              It's certainly held up under scrutiny (ie, they've kept to their story and there's apparently no evidence to the contrary), but I'm skeptical. I have nothing scientific to base my skepticism on, mind you.

They were found in pretty rough shape (unlike this guy) and they were clearly in a better position to feed themselves than some of the historical accounts I've read (ie, they were experienced fishermen). 9 months is a long time. And the doldrums/dead zone is huge and unforgiving. Nothing lives there. Nothing moves there. There's no fish. No birds. No rain. No wind. Boats without power can bob there for weeks. And you die after very little time without water.

But I dunno. Certain aspects of their retelling and behaviour are suspect. Enough to give me pause, anyway.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Suicide bomb instructor accidentally kills his entire class.

A group of Sunni militants attending a suicide bombing training class at a camp north of Baghdad were killed on Monday when their commander unwittingly conducted a demonstration with a belt that was packed with explosives, army and police officials said.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Right after the school had been given a 'good' rating by OFSTED as well.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Geoffrey de Ste. Croix wrote: Right after the school had been given a 'good' rating by OFSTED as well.
                                                    Idiot! You know as well as I do, Michael Gove has exempted "free" schools from OFSTED scrutiny.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X