The WTF? Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The WTF? Thread

Bigoted conservative pundit Dinesh D'Souza is peddling a fake Christmas tree contraption called the Flip Tree:

http://www.dineshdsouza.com/archives/news/dsouza-introduces-fliptree-christmashome-com/

Comment

The WTF? Thread

I like to get my US political news a year or two later, in books, and in every one I've read since Obama got elected D'Souza's name crops up. Never seen or heard him though, and I don't think I want to.

He might fit in well with New Zealand's Conservative Party, whose leader has managed somehow to turn the moon landings into the hot topic of debate in our media. Politicians of all parties are having to make statements reassuring the voters about where they stand on this important issue. Yes, really.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Florida:

It's proving no easy thing to build a Union monument at the site of the biggest Civil War battle fought in Florida.

Around 100 people attended a public hearing on Monday in Lake City, Fla., to discuss the monument proposed for the Olustee Battlefield Historic State Park. The proposal was met with a "furious response," according to The News Service of Florida. Actually, "furious" doesn't seem like it quite captures it.

"Passions ran high, at one point erupting in a spontaneous chorus of 'Dixie' led by a black man, H.K. Edgerton, who called Union soldiers rapists and wielded his large Confederate flag like a conductor's baton as the audience sang," The News Service of Florida reported on Tuesday.
        http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/people-sing-dixie-at-florida-hearing-for-union-monument

Comment

The WTF? Thread

I was unaware that there were any battles in Florida.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

As was I.

It actually sounds reasonably significant.

This park commemorates the site of Florida's largest Civil War battle, which took place February 20, 1864. More than 10,000 cavalry, infantry and artillery troops fought a five-hour battle in a pine forest near Olustee. Three U.S. Colored Troops took part in the battle, including the now famous 54th Massachusetts. The battle ended with 2,807 casualties and the retreat of Union troops to Jacksonville until the war's end just 14 months later.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

This is one of the most bizarre prosecutions I've ever heard of.

An unarmed, emotionally disturbed man shot at by the police as he was lurching around traffic near Times Square in September has been charged with assault, on the theory that he was responsible for bullet wounds suffered by two bystanders, according to an indictment unsealed in State Supreme Court in Manhattan on Wednesday.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Great disconnects of our time ...

Today's news is about the death of a great African.

Yesterday's news was about Golliwogs

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Mexican truck carrying Cobalt 60 stolen, recovered but criminals opened nuclear casing, so are walking dead

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Insurance agency telephone robots denying that they're robots. Listen to both calls.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Wow. I'd no idea that automated voice recognition and the other technology needed to attempt that deceit had progressed so far. Scary and obnoxious but somehow awesome too.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Why do we never see ken Barlow's son bringing a case like that police shooting one in law and order? Is the amount of cocaine needed to come up with a story line by definition going to kill the writer before he finishes the script?

Someone recently stole some radioactive stuff to do with lightning prevention in Ireland. They were told to go straight to a doctor and contact the authorities. The suggestion was that prosecutions were unlikely to be the biggest problem that these thieves were likely to have

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Police officer Knut Henning Bjune speculated ... "He had probably been out on a piss-up, which may have contributed to the ride ending the way it did"

Comment

The WTF? Thread

SurReal IRA man auditions for role of Olympic Torch.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-25412487.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Calgary man wins $40 million in lottery...and gives it all to charity.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/40-million-lotto-winner-says-hell-donate-all-money-to-foundation-for-charity/article16001733/

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Artificial leg mistaken for paedophile

Comment

The WTF? Thread

WOM wrote: Calgary man wins $40 million in lottery...and gives it all to charity.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/40-million-lotto-winner-says-hell-donate-all-money-to-foundation-for-charity/article16001733/
                                  I read his name as Tom Christ.

Hey, maybe....nah.

What a good chap.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Incandenza wrote: I'm not going to add anything, just going to quote the story:

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/08/worlds-biggest-writing/

One man drove 12,238 miles across 30 states to scrawl a message that can only be viewed using Google Earth. His big shoutout: “Read Ayn Rand.”

Nick Newcomen did a road trip over 30 days that covered stretches from the Pacific to the Atlantic Ocean. First, he identified on a map the route he would need to drive to spell out the message. He put a GPS device in his car to trace the route he would follow. Then, he hit the road.

“The main reason I did it is because I am an Ayn Rand fan,” he says. “In my opinion if more people would read her books and take her ideas seriously, the country and world would be a better place — freer, more prosperous and we would have a more optimistic view of the future.”

Newcomen, unlike previous GPS artists, actually traveled the lines he traced on the map. He used a GPS logger (Qstarz BT-Q1000X) to “ink” the message. Starting his trip in Marshall, Texas, he turned on the device when he wanted to write a letter and turned off the device between letters. The recorded GPS data was loaded into Google Earth to produce the image above.

“The first word I wrote actually was the word ‘Rand’, then I went up North to do the word ‘Read’ and finished it with ‘Ayn,’” says Newcomen.
                                    An Indiegogo project from Jon Hendren to correct the Ayn Rand message:
                                    http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/let-s-fix-the-world-s-largest-writing

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Madonna inspires US teens.

Nearly 1 percent of young women in a U.S. study who have become pregnant claim to have done so as virgins, according to a report in the Christmas edition of Britain's BMJ medical journal.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Ted Cruz, the colouring book.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Who let's the dogs out. Even by North Korean bampottery standards, this is particularly brutal.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Obama and the aliens...

Comment

The WTF? Thread

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-echochambers-25597324

A sceptical view of the "execution by dogs" story reported two posts up.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Competing with my earlier submission to this thread of Shalom Bombay, kosher Indian food in Manhattan, I'd like to add the place I found in a basement on 53rd today; Mariachi, halal Mexican food. I.... got nothing.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

It would be fair to say the gentleman was very embarrassed

Comment

The WTF? Thread

"My advice would be for people not to climb into appliances". Thank you, First Constable Luke Ingram, for sharing this wisdom with the world.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X