The WTF? Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The WTF? Thread

A slightly different level of 'what the fuck' here, and apologies for the Telegraph link, but Runaway train blows a Canadian town to smithereens and kills God-knows-how-many.

I actually came to this thread expecting to find the story already linked to, when I saw it didn't have a thread of its own already.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

jasoń voorhees wrote: On Sale at Amazon.

Soon to follow, the companion "Vomitology"
      JV: How did you come across that? (clever pun intended)

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Chicago Sun-Times went with this headline for their coverage of the flight from Korea that crashed at SFO:

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Sam wrote: A slightly different level of 'what the fuck' here, and apologies for the Telegraph link, but Runaway train blows a Canadian town to smithereens and kills God-knows-how-many.

I actually came to this thread expecting to find the story already linked to, when I saw it didn't have a thread of its own already.
          I'm not sure there's much to say about that story other than that it is desperately sad. And that Canadian politicians and journalists are, irritatingly, jumping to all sorts of totally unwarranted conclusions about what happened and how it will/should affect the pipeline v. rail debate.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

In less serious WTF'ery, I just spent another frustrating episode listening to crap radio.

The first, the host interviewed a woman who'd just become the oldest woman to sail solo around world. So he interview her on a cell phone, she's 78, she has a British accent, she's one of those "says her R as W" (it's twue) and she felt the urge to add a quick witticism and chuckle at the end of every sentence. Net result, I understood roughly two things she said. One involved "Mexico".

Immediately following that, they interviewed a Pakistani woman via echoey, tinny Skype about newly passed garment safe-workplace regulations...

So, I listened to Rick MacInnes Ray ask questions for 25 minutes and basically wrote my own answers.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Whoopsie

Now I can understand why you might want to try and ban internet gambling, but internet cafes? why don't they just declare hunting seasons for poor people and be done with it?

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Please don't give them ideas.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

I always thought sw2boro & sw2boropetrovsk were the same person but they are both currently viewing the Kits thread.

Is Fussbudget aware?

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Woman attempts hire a contract killer to assassinate her husband because it's, 'easier than divorcing him.'

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Almost as WTF?, by the way, is the fact that a national newspaper has managed to miss out an apostrophe in the headline of that piece. Can no-one afford proof readers anymore?

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Sam wrote: Woman attempts hire a contract killer to assassinate her husband because it's, 'easier than divorcing him.'
                        And the husband asked her not to be jailed for the crime!? Man, I've been a sap in some relationships, but even I'd want her given serious jail-time. In a minimum-security institution. With weekend visits. Ok, community service....Saraaaaahh, please take me back!

Comment

The WTF? Thread

TV channel apologises after naming Asiana flight crew as Captain Sum Ting Wong, Wi Tu Lo, Ho Lee Fuk and Bang Ding Ow

Comment

The WTF? Thread

It's not going to be resupplying oilrigs any time soon but it's still pretty impressive

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Just paid five quid for a pint of beer. I stood at the bar to a) order it; and b) receive it. I was charged an additional 50p service charge on top of the what-the-fuq-when-was-a-beer-five-quid beer. I fail to see the 10% effort there; I also think if your charging north of a fiver for ale the management can afford to pay their staff better. Probably shouldn't be saying this out loud as I type. No, mate, I'm not having a go at you...no, no...still, though, 50p?

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Not exactly how you'd expect an asbestos roof to lead to a death

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Slightly Brown wrote: an additional 50p service charge
                                  where the bloody hell was this!? name and shame.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

BEAK wrote:
                                    Originally posted by Slightly Brown
                                    an additional 50p service charge
                                    The Caledonian Bar. They gave me a little bowl of movie-less pop-corn too. Fuq off.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Slightly Brown wrote:
                                      Originally posted by BEAK
                                      The Caledonian Bar.
                                      In what berg?

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Thailand’s premier university has apologized for displaying a billboard that showed Adolf Hitler alongside Superman and other superheroes, saying Monday it was painted by ignorant students who didn’t realize Hitler’s image would offend anyone.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Gangster Octopus wrote:
                                          Originally posted by BEAK
                                          The Caledonian Bar.
                                          In what berg?
                                          That would be in Edinburgh. I've paid that for a pint before (London/Amsterdam/every airport ever), but it was the service charge that stuck in my craw. The guy literally covered about three feet in total.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Fun quiz on the foreign-born population in SF

I got 20/24.

I missed the 5th ranked country, 16th, 21st and 24th. 5th was probably a bit elementary.

Scan below for spoilers:

I was shocked the Irish and Italian communities were so small. I'm guessing that's due to the reduction in immigration from those two countries. Shocked the German community was so large. I'm guessing the latter is due to Army brats born in Germany? Also surprised at no Vietnam or Greece in the top 24.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Interesting. Three of the top five are the same as Vancouver. But one of Vancouver's top five, doesn't appear at all in San Francisco's 24.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

I missed #2 solely because of the quantity determiner, and #10 and #16 for political reasons. #21 was indeed surprising. And yes, totally fun.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Amor de Cosmos wrote: But one of Vancouver's top five, doesn't appear at all in San Francisco's 24.
                                                  Hosers?

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Ha! No, Iranians. In fact it's striking, to me, that there's no Middle Eastern representation in San Francisco's 24.

FYI Vancouver goes: 1) China, 2) India, 3) Korea, 4) Philippines, 5) Iran.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X