No announcement yet.

The WTF? Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://twitter.com/saoirsefashion/status/1627764248666423296?s=61&t=d3yE2fwCTLe-hQfEGDOUkQ

Comment

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1629503340743630849?s=61&t=UlepCwZY_PWQvxgo9Ol9Mw

Comment

Is this the Gore Vidal style isolationist drivel of "FDR let it happen", or full on hoax hoax?

Comment

Hmm, was the US looking to eventually start a row with the japanese, ideally in the phillipines? Quite probably. Did anyone in the US military or govt imagine that the japanese could or would sink nearly the entire US Navy in a morning in pearl harbour? Absolutely not. The prevailing view in the US military establishment was that the japanese were primitives in trousers, capable of making crude copies of western equipment, and not much else. basically it's the sort of heady mix of racism and complacency that always looks truly terrible in hindsight.

Comment

Well quite, but it's almost become received wisdom that FDR sat on Intel cos reasons.

Comment

The tweet appears to be full hoax hoax (either false flag or no attack at all), not the more common version.

Comment

I don't think FDR was itching to go into the war as soon as possible. Some of his decisions in Autumn 41 were quite cautious. It was more the belief that the Japanese wouldn't provoke a war that they would definitely lose given the material, productive and human resources of the two sides (Stalin made the same error regarding Germany).
                Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 25-02-2023, 20:40.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                  I don't think FDR was itching to go into the war as soon as possible. Some of his decisions in Autumn 41 were quite cautious. It was more the belief that the Japanese wouldn't provoke a war that they would definitely lose given the material, productive and human resources of the two sides (Stalin made the same error regarding Germany).
                  I'd also be a bit nervous about the whole framing of this though. The USA wasn't thinking about an imminent war with Japan for the hell of it. there was a reason for the oil embargo. Japan was charging around committing all sorts of heinous attorocities and kicking off massive wars for sport. refusing to sell Japan oil seems pretty reasonable under the circumstances.

Comment

This can't be real, or at least, shouldn't be:

https://twitter.com/evanewashington/status/1629547021731508225

Comment

Originally posted by Discordant Resonance View Post

Holy fuck! Literally everything is wrong with that idea.

Comment

I couldn't read those fucking books when I was nine, and I'm not going to start now, but everyone I know who has, they fucking hate that Bombadil cunt. Corden will be perfect so.

Comment

Yes. I couldn't think of a more suitable combination of talent and source material.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                            I couldn't read those fucking books when I was nine, and I'm not going to start now, but everyone I know who has, they fucking hate that Bombadil cunt. Corden will be perfect so.
                            Yeah, my mate who was really into Tolkien was delighted when he wasn't in the film, and told me to skip about 80 pages if I were to read the books.

Comment

Originally posted by Discordant Resonance View Post

This sounds like a work of pure evil.

Comment

It's almost certainly a spoof.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post

Yeah, my mate who was really into Tolkien was delighted when he wasn't in the film, and told me to skip about 80 pages if I were to read the books.
                                  That part of the book is what TV writers would call a “bottle episode. Except bottle episodes usually help develop the backstory of the main characters or the setting of the story. It’s not clear where Tolkien was going with Tom Bombadil and Goldie. I think it was a different story that he just tacked on.

Tolkien was adept at creating the world for his stories and, unlike a lot of fantasy authors, was also able to create appealing characters. But Peter Jackson is much more adept at pacing and plotting.

But a lot of Tolkien nerds, including Christopher Tolkien, were deeply offended by any deviation from the text.
                                  Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 27-02-2023, 02:53.

Comment

https://twitter.com/nailheadparty/status/1426308126404452355?s=61&t=XNQXMmNh6cbenLqbbDe6vg

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

That part of the book is what TV writers would call a “bottle episode. Except bottle episodes usually help develop the backstory of the main characters or the setting of the story. It’s not clear where Tolkien was going with Tom Bombadil and Goldie. I think it was a different story that he just tacked on.

Tolkien was adept at creating the world for his stories and, unlike a lot of fantasy authors, was also able to create appealing characters. But Peter Jackson is much more adept at pacing and plotting.

But a lot of Tolkien nerds, including Christopher Tolkien, were deeply offended by any deviation from the text.
                                      The opening 80 pages, i.e. pretty well everything before Bree, are written in a different style from the rest of Lord of the Rings. That start is more like a follow up to The Hobbit, so another kids book. Not just Bombadil, but also everything around Bilbo’s eleventy-first birthday party. It’s like Tolkien couldn’t be bothered to go back and redraft that start when the emphasis and target market substantially changed midway through the project.

Comment

It's all bollocks so I'll pay as much attention to a Corden musical hobbit as to all the rest

Comment

Do we have a Tolkien thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                            Do we have a Tolkien thread?
                                            Ridiculously long? Only of interest to a nerdy few? Largely incomprehensible to everyone else?

It's the cryptic crossword thread isn't it?

Comment

If the odious James Corden has to appear in any further production (and of course I wish he wouldn't), then a Tolkien thing is ideal from my perspective for reasons that most of us will share.

Comment

There are more haters on here than I realised

Comment

I was itching to post the Bestie Boys tweet and then got halfway down the page and the bear had beaten me to it.

I saw this thread about the authorial voice in JRRT's work just this morning and found it really interesting.

https://twitter.com/frogskull7960/status/1617596813581615111

Aren't all these Middle Earth adaptations struggling with the limited nature of what rights are available? The estate isn't letting anything else out now so all the studios have to work with are rights signed in the past. That's why Rings of Power was based on the appendixes of LotR rather than the Silmarillion.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                                    There are more haters on here than I realised
                                                    What, of Corden or Tolkien? If you mean Corden, I'm surprised that you're suprised. If you mean Tolkien, I don't hate him or his work, I just have absolutely and for ever zero interest in it, whether the original books or any screen adaptation or other derivate material.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X