The WTF? Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nick is excellent

And his book on the anti-American protest movement in 70s Japan is the definitive work on the subject

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post

If you can watch until the end.
      Oh dear...

Comment

I didn't really know where to put this:

Comment

The guys and gals are Miniatur Wunderland have been a bit bored during lockdown it seems.

Anyone who watched the video all the way through will get a sense of the scale of the place, i.e. that it is vast - two whole floors of a dock warehouse. Hamburg's no.1 tourist attraction... yes, even including Minigolf im Stadtpark.

Comment

Crikey, that Hamburg place is quite something indeed. Reminds me I'm long overdue a trip to Hamburg to visit friends there. I lived there for a year in 84-85 and went back umpteen times up to around the turn of the millenium but quite possibly haven't been there for 20 years. I think my youngest daughter would love the Minatur Wunderland.

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
              Crikey, that Hamburg place is quite something indeed. Reminds me I'm long overdue a trip to Hamburg to visit friends there. I lived there for a year in 84-85 and went back umpteen times up to around the turn of the millenium but quite possibly haven't been there for 20 years. I think my youngest daughter would love the Minatur Wunderland.
              You should go. Your daughter might love Miniatur Wunderland, but also you will love Miniatur Wunderland. It attracts all sorts. There was a stag do in when I went there.

Comment

https://twitter.com/peter__leonard/status/1379903434648862724

Comment

It says something about my own dear leader that i was relieved he didn't gurn to the camera, try to do a wheelie, or fluff a scripted gag at the end.

It appears i am ready for slow-motion post-Soviet choreography and an expressionless dictator in Saint-Etienne knockoff trackie bottoms.

Comment

Sorry, slight tangent, but I see that the president's name is Gurbanguly M?likguly?ewi? Berdimuhamedow, which seems to include a Russian style patronymic as middle-name: not just the fact that the middle name is a patronymic (I don't know whether there was any local tradition of that or whether the custom was a Russian import), but the ending of the patronymic is linguistically clearly Russian. Obviously the Pres was born and named way back in Soviet times. I wonder whether that naming custom vanished pretty quickly with independence.

Edit: the final two letters of his surname also appear to be Russian-inspired. I think that was very common around the Tsarist empire/USSR, e.g in Azerbaijan the Aliev clan.
                    Last edited by Evariste Euler Gauss; 08-04-2021, 09:06.

Comment

Working...
                    X