No announcement yet.

The WTF? Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can only talk about my brother's friends in Fuerteventura, but they were decent people who seemed to be well assimilated in the local culture.

Comment

It's not so much mass tourism as masses of people living in, usually, fairly well defined residencias, most of which have their own interior worlds with British plumbers, electricians, golf courses etc. but most of all pubs. Many of the residents have only the most basic grasp of Spanish. You'd say this points to a pretty right wing world. I can't speak for other countries apart from Spain and even here my views are no better than anecdotal but one interesting thing has been the reluctance of Tory governments to loosen the 15-year rule on "Brits" having the vote in UK elections and referendums. If the majority of us abroad had been so conservative (small and big c) then you would have thought they would have been falling over themselves to extend the plebiscite.
      Last edited by Sporting; 04-01-2020, 16:30.

Comment

Yeah, I should have put mass tourism in scare quotes, because the population in question is much more established than that, but I'm also interested in places like parts of Cyprus, Mexico, Thailand, etc that have largely given themselves over to foreigners who are there for a week or two.

Comment

I have so little knowledge of, or eye for, trends in home decor that I'd have had no sense of that Buffalo home being "eighties". It looks loud and vulgar, sure, but I would have guessed that the sort of people who would have gone for that decor in the 80s would also have gone for something equally tacky in all periods since up to and including today. What features are particularly "period"?

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
            I have so little knowledge of, or eye for, trends in home decor that I'd have had no sense of that Buffalo home being "eighties". It looks loud and vulgar, sure, but I would have guessed that the sort of people who would have gone for that decor in the 80s would also have gone for something equally tacky in all periods since up to and including today. What features are particularly "period"?
            The colors, the loud patterns, the chrome accents, the glass tables and the overall McMansion design of the house itself.
            Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 04-01-2020, 18:18.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
              Yeah, I should have put mass tourism in scare quotes, because the population in question is much more established than that, but I'm also interested in places like parts of Cyprus, Mexico, Thailand, etc that have largely given themselves over to foreigners who are there for a week or two.
              The secret as a local is not to live in those areas where tourists tend to go. One of the secrets of being a tourist is (when not seeing the mandatory sights etc) is to eat in areas where people like me live.

NYC is a very touristic city. Does this bother the locals in any way?

Comment

NYC is at least big enough to absorb a lot of tourists. It's places like Cambridge or Florence that really struggle

Comment

Very true, and yet their concentration can still be enervating, especially when areas that were formerly "off the beaten track" become "hot".

In the last 30 years, this has happened (sometimes almost literally overnight) to SoHo, Tribeca, the "Felicity" and "Sex and the City" parts of the West Village, parts of the Financial District near Ground Zero, the "Gossip Girl" parts of the Upper East Side, Williamsburg, and a variety of other places in Brooklyn that have featured on television or Instagram.

In about half of those specific cases, the wave crested sometime ago, and the neighbourhoods are returning to the locals. Though that process can bring a different set of challenges, as it takes years for commercial landlords who have become accustomed to affluent tourist driven rents to realise that the party is over and that they need to go back to renting to hardware stores and dry cleaners. Thus the absolute plague of empty storefronts in (for instance) the West Village.

I am personally thankful that the Mrs Maisel phenomenon has not brought many people to our neck of the woods.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

The secret as a local is not to live in those areas where tourists tend to go. One of the secrets of being a tourist is (when not seeing the mandatory sights etc) is to eat in areas where people like me live.

NYC is a very touristic city. Does this bother the locals in any way?
                    If there weren’t tourists, who would they scoff at and mock?

That’s not unique to New York, of course. People who don’t work in hospitality or retail are rarely fond of tourists.
                    Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 04-01-2020, 21:02.

Comment

Each other

We've been doing it for centuries

The easy targets have made us soft

Comment

Assault with a deadly-ish seabird: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-51013458

Comment

Hmm. By inference a live seagull too. The beaks on those buggers can do serious damage, I'm curious as to how he managed to catch it.

Comment

https://twitter.com/aoiph/status/1214917759592738818

Comment

Diable Rouge making an early bid for the 2020 Guy Profumo award

Comment

Anyone fancy a whiff of Gwyneth Paltrow’s lady-parts? Of course you do! Sadly sold out, naturally.

https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/...er-vagina-goop

Comment

The BBC covering the important issues of the day:

MaccyDs want to open a branch on the Oakham bypass

Residents not happy

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-en...mpression=true

Comment

How unlucky was this?

Comment

Keith Vaz.

Christ's sake.

Keith fucking Vaz.

Come on Ian Lavery and suspend each and every member of the Leicester East with immediate effect.

And expel each and every FUCKING CUNT who voted for Vaz for the whole of the rest of their fucking life

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the...abour-comeback

Comment

Let's fatten up our kids:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ules-roll-back

Comment

https://twitter.com/JamieBrysonCPNI/status/1218182074521341958

Comment

That's brilliant!!

Comment

I’d love to see Jane Austen’s take on Dracula.

Comment

https://twitter.com/TVsCarlKinsella/status/1222192972814483461

Comment

Clickagy and Parnas’s Fraud Guarantee shared a major investor, according to people familiar with the businesses. Clickagy used Parnas’s connections in GOP circles to attempt to land a contract with America First, the primary pro-Trump super PAC, according to people familiar with the firm.

Clickagy’s chief executive, Harry Maugans, declined to comment.

America First has said it is voluntarily cooperating with the investigation. A spokeswoman declined to comment on Clickagy.

In recent days, investigators have interviewed the investor, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the ongoing investigation.

He told The Post that he bought $250,000 of shares in Fraud Guarantee in 2016. The investor said that he has received no returns on his payment and that it is not clear to him whether Fraud Guarantee was a real business.

He said he was persuaded to invest in part because he said Parnas told him he could use his high-powered connections to pitch Trump on an idea the investor had to build a temple in Jerusalem on a platform high above the existing city.

The investor, whose interactions with Parnas were first reported by the Wall Street Journal, said he believed the proposal could bring together Judaism, Christianity and Islam — and usher in peace to the Middle East.

At a meeting in Florida, the investor showed Parnas a painting that he had commissioned of the temple, according to Artem Mirolevich, the painter, who was also present.

“Parnas said that Trump was the type of person who might be interesting in building something like this,” Mirolevich said, noting that the investor had envisioned an 800-story structure built over the ancient city.

Mirolevich said that after the meeting, he unsuccessfully tried to persuade his friend not to invest with Parnas. “I told him: ‘It’s in the company’s name. He’s telling you there will be fraud. It’s guaranteed,’ ” he said.

But the investor decided to proceed because he wanted to show Trump his idea for the temple in Jerusalem, he and Mirolevich said.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X