X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Absolutely the Daily Mail template though

They run multiple pieces every day fitting that precise outline

Comment

In fairness HP, the Daily mail have never hidden what they are.

Comment

Yeah. But they're really going out of their way to show they're not a real newspaper.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post

It reminds me of a daily mail article covering the death of a friend of mine, who was hit by a police chase as she was going to the ATM. the law firm she worked for was in the first paragraph, the value of her parents house was in the second paragraph, the bangladeshi taxi driver who was also killed in the crash was mentioned in the sixth paragraph. He had three kids. It made me surprisingly furious, and would have horrified her.
          I'm genuinely angry at all of those words.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
            Yeah. But they're really going out of their way to show they're not a real newspaper.
            no, this is what passes for newspapers in the UK. As far as I can tell this is what the mail has always been like.

Comment

Have you got a link to the story, Colm?

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post

no, this is what passes for newspapers in the UK. As far as I can tell this is what the mail has always been like.
                No not always. It was my parents' daily after the News Chronicle* folded. Beaverbrook's Daily Express had the the popular right-wing trash-tag back then. The Mail was kinda meh.

*The lineage of both can be traced backed to Charles Dickens . He'd be thrilled I'm sure.

Comment

Was that at least somewhat a reaction to the unpleasantness with their support for the Nazis before the War?

When I was a kid, the NewYork Post was the most left-leaning daily paper in New York. Papers change.

Comment

TBH I really don't know. It ticked along blandly in the 50s and 60s but inherited the editorial staff of the tabloid Daily Sketch when it went bust in the early 70s. That seems to be when it changed radically, but I'm really not sure as I didn't see it then. The Harmsworth/Rothermere family are still part of the ownership group as they have been since WW1.
                    Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 04-07-2019, 01:31.

Comment

Fuckin’ Alaska. Beautiful place run by terrible people.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...ical-meltdown/

Comment

Could be a photo shoot for a magazine? Or, yes, Chinese couples often like to have lots of different wedding photos taken before the wedding, and some of them are deliberately humorous. This is probably an attempt to replicate the stereotype of a typical Western marriage. They might have other photos taken performing other marriage tropes. I don't really see the harm.

Comment

Nor do I.

I found the take on "typical Western marriage" to be amusing and revealing as to both sides of the purported cultural divide.

It is largely impossible to go to photogenic parts of NYC on a weekend without seeing East Asian bridal parties being ferried around town for photographs.

Comment

For about the 40th time today (and it's 0.14 here) I'm facepalming on behalf of the US.

Then I remember where I live.

Comment

Meatless meatballs is a stupid phrase. I'm in with criminalising someone who produces a product and calls it that. But 'burger' often has a prefix. See: hamburger, beefburger, chicken burger. That the type of meat used is specified surely shows it isn't intrinsic to the product.

Comment

[waits for ursus to come along and reassure us all that this will be struck down immediately by the courts as wild overreach by the legislature]

Comment

It's Mississippi. I don't make book on their state court decisions.

The article notes that Missouri passed a similar law last year, was immediately sued, and is now in "settlement negotiations" with the plaintiffs. I'm not sure how one settles something like this without caving completely (which may be what Missouri is contemplating).

It is, however, yet another helpful illustration of just how batshit crazy many state legislatures have become.

Comment

I believe Canada also has fairly bonkers regulation on that front - that anything vegetarian claiming to be a "burger" or "sausage" or other "simulated meat" has to have the same nutritional content as their meaty equivalent. That means it needs to be shoved full of protein, and almost always animal protein. This is, of course, a protection forced in by the Canadian meat producing industries.

Comment

Pure unadulterated regulatory capture by the animal cruelty industry.

It seems like the first amendment should apply here. If it says “meatless,” I don’t see how it could be considered deceptive.

Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 08-07-2019, 00:37.

Comment

I believe Canada also has fairly bonkers regulation on that front - that anything vegetarian claiming to be a "burger" or "sausage" or other "simulated meat" has to have the same nutritional content as their meaty equivalent. That means it needs to be shoved full of protein, and almost always animal protein. This is, of course, a protection forced in by the Canadian meat producing industries.

I didn't know that, but it's quite possible. However Canada is also throwing a whole bunch of incentives at pulses (the beans/peas in pods) as the veggie lookalike steak industry is growing like topsy and we're best placed to monetize it apparently.

Comment

I believe that at the moment the only way to sell simulated meat in Canada is to basically pump it full of egg protein and chemicals, thus leaving access for what HP calls the animal cruelty industry. If you take that out, you have to start changing the name to "veggie patties" or something similar.

Comment

Well the Canadian beef industry = Alberta, and as they're already considering declaring UDI if they don't get their pipeline, I don't imagine Justin will want to poke them in the ass with another sharp object.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                              I believe that at the moment the only way to sell simulated meat in Canada is to basically pump it full of egg protein and chemicals, thus leaving access for what HP calls the animal cruelty industry. If you take that out, you have to start changing the name to "veggie patties" or something similar.
                                              I suspect that most vegetarians are clues into all this and are used to reading labels carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

I suspect that most vegetarians are clues into all this and are used to reading labels carefully.
                                                Probably. But, apparently, there's a burgeoning second-level market who don't want to eat beef — because of the environmental implications. They're quite willing to eat other meats, depending on how they're produced, but beef is massively the worst offender from a sustainability PoV.

Comment

Working...
                                                X