X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
    These 2 "pastors" are horrific individuals with a career in hate speech and vile slurs against gay and trans people. And now this...

Of course. No doubt, they appeal a lot to "science" and "common sense" as well as the usual bullshit proof-texting.

Transphobia and homophobia are "common sense" in pretty much the exact same way that Flat-Eartherism is.
    It's just an idea that was planted into their heads once as a kid and they decided that it's presence in your brain is evidence of it's veracity.

I think that Protestant denominations that actually have a rigorous ordination process should come up with a different title than "pastor" because frauds like these people - as well as the people who got ordained from that ad in the back of Rolling Stone so they could officiate a wedding - have really diluted it.

Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 09-11-2023, 18:51.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1722628265100152957?s=12&t=xvOireV8JOIS_CpbTtDBow

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    These 2 "pastors" are horrific individuals with a career in hate speech and vile slurs against gay and trans people. And now this...

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    It's absolutely time for us to go. It's also impossible to get many people to agree with that.

My faint hope is that we'll eventually figure it out, but it will probably take a bunch of disasters and massive loss of life, human and otherwise, before we do.
    Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 08-11-2023, 16:57.

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    Yeah while I am sitting here watching genocide take place right in front of us and governments and media cheer it on, I'm even more convinced that it's time for us to go.

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    Nature has been fighting back for 500 years. It wins the occasional round, but eventually gets knocked out by human greed and stupidity.

Except the climate. We have fucked around with the atmosphere and we are going to find out.

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    My "brilliant" comment was more of a general nature fighting back against humans vibe. Orcas working out how to take out boats and learning from each other seems kind of next level. We're destroying their environment, their food stocks, all of that. Nobody was hurt. I don't think nature starting to fight back is a bad thing.

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    Yeah, luxury yachts should not exist, but this is the maritime version of "a fed bear is a dead bear."

Unfortunately, there is probably no way to trap orcas and then help them chill out. That works with feral dogs and, perhaps, even bears, but the only way we could do that with orcas is if we could somehow beam them into their own private ocean. Like in Star Trek IV, I guess.

Perhaps there is some kind of sonar device that would scare them off without stressing them even worse. Or, perhaps, it could just make the boats sound different to them such that they don't associate that sound with the boat that hurt them before.

Leave a comment:

• Janik
    replied
    It's also not going to end well for the Orca. As soon as they actually kill someone the likely outcome is people will set out to exterminate any of them displaying such behaviour, and so remove it from the world. People react like that to direct threats to them. And people likely have the capability to do so successfully. It's really bad all round, basically.

Leave a comment:

• Evariste Euler Gauss
    replied
    I think ad hoc's comment that the trend for orcas to attack and successfully sink boats is "brilliant" is pretty WTF for me. I mean, it might be good in a few specific potential scenarios perhaps - Michelle Mone comes to mind for sure - but the idea that anyone on a sailing boat on the Med in general is fair game for the terrifying experience of sinking under attack by large predatory killer whales strikes me as a bit, well, class-war-correctness-gone-mad. And fishermen too, for their participation in the non-vegan food-industrial complex?

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    This has been going on for more than a year

There are a variety of theories as to what has enraged the orcas

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    Put this one in the "WTF- brilliant" column (as opposed to the "WTF- the world's gone to hell" column)

https://www.livescience.com/animals/...ur-long-attack

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    I didn’t know it was called this.

Leave a comment:

• San Bernardhinault
    replied
    As someone who's never been further on to Long Island than the Target just outside JFK, it's fair to say my knowledge is limited and I'm happy to be corrected.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Hedgies don't live in Montauk (which is much too windy anyway)

Leave a comment:

• San Bernardhinault
    replied
    Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    Yes, 400 km is further than NYC to the Poconos or Allentown.

It is almost exactly NYC to Montauk, but I have never known anyone to do that four times a week (it would also take significantly longer).
    Don't those guys all take their own helicopters?

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied

Leave a comment:

• S. aureus
    replied
    I've known people who commuted from Sacramento to San Francisco, about 140km each way and the traffic absolutely sucks, at the SF end anyway.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Yes, 400 km is further than NYC to the Poconos or Allentown.

It is almost exactly NYC to Montauk, but I have never known anyone to do that four times a week (it would also take significantly longer).

Leave a comment:

• San Bernardhinault
    replied
    I know a handful people who often spend that long commuting, although none who travel that far, I think.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Absolutely nuts for Europe, though I know several people in the US with longer commutes

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    An online student of mine lives in Plasencia and works near Toledo and commutes in his mercedes 400 km per day, 4 hours, 5 days a week.

Bonkers.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    The Philadelphia transit system has had permanently branded stations for several years, and is looking to expand the programme.

The most recent entry

Leave a comment:

• Evariste Euler Gauss
    replied
    Sorry, this is several weeks old and may have been covered on this board while I was absent from the board in hospital, but I've just learnt that, for a short period recently during "London Fashion Week", Bond Street tube station was briefly renamed "Burberry Street Station", with signage replaced accordingly. I mean, seriously, WT absolute F? Utter fucking loathsome corporate scum.

Corporation creep: why London’s Bond Street became Burberry Street - and caused outrage | Fashion | The Guardian

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    https://twitter.com/WalesOnline/status/1717642253777228003?t=IZv-lIbRXgKVkpwux77UFA&s=19

Leave a comment:

Working...
X