Clear All

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    Womens basketball

Leave a comment:

• Nocturnal Submission
    replied
    Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post

I don't know but honey pretty much does. When archaeologists opened Tutankhamen's tomb in 1922 they found a jar of honey. Being good scientists they tasted it and it was apparently quite good.

All dead within a year, of course.

(Please factcheck - Ed.)

Leave a comment:

• Eggchaser
    replied
    Amazingly they weren't then stung to death by a plague of mummified bees.

Leave a comment:

• Balderdasha
    replied
    Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
    Does marmite last forever?
    I don't know but honey pretty much does. When archaeologists opened Tutankhamen's tomb in 1922 they found a jar of honey. Being good scientists they tasted it and it was apparently quite good.

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    It's useful in things like vegetarian stews and casseroles. I'd get through a jar in a few months when I lived in the UK. But I don't need it enough to bother importing it for myself

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    I was mostly wondering if the collectors market wanted unopened jars. That one above has that tape on it to show that it's not been opened.

I have bottles of Coke commemorating Penn State football's 1982 and 1986 national championships. That's the oldest consumable product I own.

Leave a comment:

• ChrisJ
    replied
    About a week in our house.

Used to be two, but it's harder to get the really big jars these days.

Leave a comment:

• Nocturnal Submission
    replied

Good question.

It certainly lasts for a very, very long time, as millions of households in the UK can attest. Unless you're a big fan of the stuff, and either use it virtually every day or ladle the stuff on to your bread or toast, it's the sort of product that you only have to replace once every few years, the end-point of which it shows no discernible deterioration in quality, though it might be slightly more viscous, if that's even possible.

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Fussbudget
    replied
    I don’t understand what EJ is doing with his hands in that pose.
    He's stepping into the frame and onto the yellow brick road, not that you can tell from the way it's been cropped. Slightly offended by that low quality traced illustration on a billion-pound-company product tbh, it looks like bad fan art

Leave a comment:

• Balderdasha
    replied
    Though I've just googled and apparently I'm wrong. You can get chilli Marmite and truffle Marmite.

Leave a comment:

• Balderdasha
    replied
    I think it's more that you get marmite flavoured things rather than other flavours in marmite. So you get Marmite peanut butter and Marmite crisps but I don't remember ever seeing anything like toffee-flavoured Marmite.

Leave a comment:

• Nocturnal Submission
    replied
    Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post

The fact that you photographed this on carpet suggests that you bought it...

Haha! I'm afraid not - image nabbed from the Net. Someone is selling it on eBay, for about twice the price that you can get it for from Sainsbury's!

I was initially WTF, but then Mrs. NS reminded me that my nephew's husband left his Marmite jar "collection" with my sister when he went off to the States with her son. I had no idea that people collected Marmite jars, but I suppose that these special editions (I assume that it's only the label that changes rather than the contents*) is why.

* Am I misremembering or is there some sort of Marmite & champagne concoction?

Leave a comment:

• Balderdasha
    replied
    Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
    The fact that you photographed this on carpet suggests that you bought it...

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    I don’t understand what EJ is doing with his hands in that pose.

Leave a comment:

• Nocturnal Submission
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Discordant Resonance
    replied
    The billionaire Hermès heir plans to bequeath half his wealth to his gardener.

Leave a comment:

• Janik
    replied
    It's not the normal usage... but vegetarian chicken meaning 'this here chicken was a vegetarian' actually makes more linguistic sense than it meaning 'non-meat based substitute for chicken flesh'.

As we learned from the BSE stuff, most factory chickens are cannibals. But not out of their own choice.

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    The sub heading (crescut cu legume si cereal) means raised with vegetables and cereal, so yes, I assume so. But still, it;s a very weird way to phrase it

(I guess I should be pleased that Romania has come so far in the time that I've been here that the word "vegetarian" is seen as something positive and good for marketing)

Leave a comment:

• JoeysToe
    replied
    Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
    Do they mean that it was corn-fed, rather than reared on some sort of agrochemical pellets?
    That's what I was assuming. But how can you force a chicken to be vegetarian? If an insect happened to saunter past it's beak, it would likely eat it...

Leave a comment:

• Nocturnal Submission
    replied
    Do they mean that it was corn-fed, rather than reared on some sort of agrochemical pellets?

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    Seen in my local supermarket. "Vegetarian chicken". No, it is not some kind of chicken substitute, it's an actual chicken, that was (before the whole death bit) vegetarian. As opposed to those flesh-eating chickens they have nowadays

Leave a comment:

• Nocturnal Submission
    replied
    Q's workshop. I mean they say it isn't, BTWSTWT: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67626880

Leave a comment:

• Evariste Euler Gauss
    replied
    Lovely story's. Quite the golden boy for how he retrieved that situation.

Leave a comment:

• Nocturnal Submission
    replied
    An old one but still quite astonishing: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6503991.stm

Leave a comment:

Working...
X