No announcement yet.

The WTF? Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unless you're a Walker Bush of course...

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno View Post

Neither are the countless hours wasted looking backwards so that you can be on an Ivy "crew." Just go for a nice walk.
      Well, rowing is a significantly different experience (certainly to walking). I do enjoy running but find rowing really fun as well - a nice mix of strength and technique. The fact that I am rather quick and seem to be improving at it maybe colors my opinion a bit.

Comment

So name me a sport where if you go forward you lose?

mourinho ball.

Something to consider though about the Skibbereen club example, is that rowing on the west coast of Ireland isn't a class related thing. This is simply currach racing in fancier boats, and preparation regimes that don't revolve around stout and bacon. It is apparently enormous fun. I remember being very fond of the rowing machine when I used to go to the gym in college. There is something hypnotic about it. Is there any push in rowing circles to try to radically expand participation? There is a great opportunity for it here in Ireland, because right now the O'Donovan Brothers are probably two of the most famous and popular sports people in the country, and they make it abundantly clear every time they open their mouths that this can also be a sport for the sons of small farmers. But I can't see any Irish sporting organization managing to strike while the Iron is hot. It's not really in our nature.

Comment

To Reed's point about feeling inadequate when you don't get into an Ivy, there needs to be a collective turning point where people realize that the ridiculous efforts and distorted advantages that are required to get in basically discredit the whole thing. These schools attract smart kids for whom everything from age 0 to 18 went basically perfectly, then reject 98% of them, so the ones who get in are strongly encouraged to decide that they're gods among us. And a bunch of assholes who grow up to be grasping capitalists like Zuckerberg and Gates or war criminals like Bush and Bush. Let the schools do their important research with all their money, but I'll discourage my own son from bothering with the Ivy-chasing rat race.
          Last edited by Bruno; 08-04-2019, 15:49.

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post

Well, rowing is a significantly different experience (certainly to walking). I do enjoy running but find rowing really fun as well - a nice mix of strength and technique. The fact that I am rather quick and seem to be improving at it maybe colors my opinion a bit.
            I was kidding. Rowing is good exercise and as worthwhile as any number of other team sports, especially for being non-contact.

Comment

[QUOTE=Bruno;n2134872]To Reed's point about feeling inadequate when you don't get into an Ivy, there needs to be a collective turning point where people realize that the ridiculous efforts and distorted advantages that are required to get in basically discredit the whole thing./QUOTE]

A good public rebranding campaign like calling them Skivy League schools would help. Except nobody in the US would know what you were implying with that...

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno View Post
                I was kidding. Rowing is good exercise and as worthwhile as any number of other team sports, especially for being non-contact.
                It's not normally non-contact in high school.

Comment

You mean by accident?

Comment

I'm sure that's what the coxes tell their coaches.

Comment

I own a rowing machine but have never rowed a real scull. I’ve rowed the wide skiff-like things they have at Scout camp. Otherwise, my only boating experience is in canoes. In a canoe, you face forward. Handy.

As that article explains, a lot of these parents of kids in expensive private schools were under the impression that admission to a certain kind of college was one of the things they’re paying for when they drop $40k+ a year for a glorified high school.

If those prep schools can no longer guarantee that, then, at some point it’s going to be harder for them to find parents willing to spend that.

Or, at least, that’s what one would expect from a rational market. A lot of this is irrational, obviously.

Comment

Tries hard to think of a pork/bacon/ham pun

fails.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-47853728

Horror trailers shown before Peppa Pig feature in Ipswich.

Comment

Hammy House Of Horror?

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
                            Tries hard to think of a pork/bacon/ham pun

fails.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-47853728

Horror trailers shown before Peppa Pig feature in Ipswich.
                            Nothing new there, both my brother and me remember seeing a trailer for some Hammer horror before the Saturday morning matinee in the local cinema when we were kids, we reckon they put it on deliberately to keep us quiet.

Comment

Not for the squeamish: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-47876130

Comment

When I saw a link to Jack Dorsey's "wellness habits", I assumed it was going to be a takedown. Of course, it isn't, it's by CNBC, your source for fawning over rich people.

Comment

The ancient philosophy of Stoicism – which teaches to be satisfied with what you have and includes practices like self-denial — has become a trend among Silicon Valley elites. But perhaps no one is more devoted than 42-year-old billionaire Jack Dorsey, CEO of Twitter and Square.
                                  Oh, god. They all read that Tom Wolfe novel when they were in college, and thought it was completely serious, didn't they?

Comment

Well I bee. Problem shared is a problem halved and all that.

Comment

Are you after Guy's title?

Comment

Wow. CNBC is just an encyclopedia of survivor bias and correlation-causality mistakes. “I do this and I’m a billionaire, ergo these things are the key to wealth.”

Never mind the billions of people who exercise all day (out of necessity) fast frequently (out of necessity) and meditate all the time (and manage not to prattle on about it) and are dirt poor.

Comment

And still die young. The implication that ill health is always a result of personal failing is fucking infuriating. I wish these woo merchants many bad days and an early grave.

Comment

Life-expectancy is rapidly improving in the so-called developing world for a lot of reasons, but not because they just recently learned how to eat well, exercise, and meditate.

If you’re doing Buddhism to “perform better” or “gain an edge” then you’re not really doing Buddhism.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post

Oh, god. They all read that Tom Wolfe novel when they were in college, and thought it was completely serious, didn't they?
                                              They seem to have boiled Stoicism down to “life hacks” so they don’t have to feel bad about anything they do or question why they have so much when so many have so little.

Comment

Literally dying on stage. Poor bloke, that's all he be remembered for.

Comment

I saw that but wasn't sure which thread to put it on!

Comment

In the esteemed footsteps of Tommy Cooper and Sid James.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X