No announcement yet.

The WTF? Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I suppose that depends what you mean by American cheese. "American Cheese" is, by definition, borderline inedible and what seems to exist by the hundred-thousand-cubic-yard. There is, I am led to believe, acceptable cheese that's made in the US, but this almost always seems to be soft goat or sheep milk cheese which is not something I'm generally partial to.

Comment

Don't you get bog standard UK supermarket cheddar type stuff even? Or is that only in fucking WholeFoods stores?

Comment

I always want to work out per capita numbers when I read stats like that. The current US population is around 325m, so 900,000 cubic yards is around 1 cubic yard for every 360 people in the US, or 1 cubic foot for every 13.3 people, which is approximately 130 cubic inches per person, but that includes infants and the aged so young active adults need to eat more than that. Still more after allowing for non-consumption by vegans and the lactose-intolerant. Have some pickle with it, it'll be fine.

Comment

There is decent cheddar made in Wisconsin, Vermont and New York available in pretty much every supermarket in NYC.

I was referring to this stuff, which by law cannot be sold as "Cheese" tout court. As you see, it is labelled as "Pasteurized Prepared Cheese Product"

and gets distributed to the poor like this

Comment

There's something like a sub-par mild English cheddar that you can get in US supermarkets. If you want even a Tesco 2-strength generic medium cheddar you have to go to the special Deli section.

For a country that treats drowning almost all its food in a melted-cheese-adjacent high grease product as something akin to a necessary religious ritual, it's amazing how little the US actually cares about the taste of its cheeses.

Comment

Bit late but that 5,000-year-old t-rex/Jesus riding the stegosaurus story is astonishing.

Comment

It is worth noting that Ursus talks of NYC supermarkets. In many respects NYC is an independent city state with only marginal cultural connections with "real" America. That you can get decent cheese in New York does not mean you'll find it in Chillicothe, Ohio or Minot, North Dakota.

Comment

Kraft or whatever ezee singles are acceptable in a toastie, providing one is baked enough.

Comment

The version sold in Europe is considerably closer to actual cheese than that available here.

Just another thing the UK residents will have to look forward to post-Brexit.

Comment

I can't stand American cheese, although I grew up eating it (and liking it). When I eat it now, it just tastes like plastic.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                        Bit late but that 5,000-year-old t-rex/Jesus riding the stegosaurus story is astonishing.
                        Indeed - I saw something like that on my travels once. It made my gut hurt.

I mean, believe whatever fairy stories you like - but you can't have it both ways.

Comment

Not going to Brazil any time soon...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...spiders-brazil

Comment

Oh, and the sharp cheddar from Walmart is pretty tasty. Albeit, much better when melted with something else.

Comment

I like it on a tuna melt with a slice of tomato. I had that for lunch yesterday.

Actually, to clarify, my cheddar was not from Wal-Mart.

Comment

And the flying spiders?

Comment

They can get their own cheese.

Comment

Comment

Because she has so much bank-running experience.

Comment

I suspect the cheese and spiders are on her side. Age shall not wither her...

Comment

Actually, I only signed back on for one thing, and this is the perfect place for it.

Girls Aloud invented dabbing, in the very last seconds of their video for "Biology".

And 11 years later...

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBPtP4t2J1k

3 mins 26 of this.

AND, I am totally incorrect. No head bows. Because they are fucking GIRLS ALOUD!

Comment

There's no limit to human stupidity generally of course, but teenagers will always have a bit of an edge over the rest of us:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46846981

Comment

That is a fascinating article but the use of Cubic Yards to measure cheese, and Pounds to measure milk just hurts my brain.

Comment

This isn't exactly news but it's nearly 76 years since this happened.

This is a b-17 bomber, in a field, in Athenry. yes, those fields, in that Athenry.

The way this is supposed to work in theory is that as a neutral Country we are supposed to intern the crew, put them in a camp and release them at the end of the war. Except on this plane were basically the top three Officers in the US army Armoured force. Lt General Jacob Devers, (commander of all american armoured forces at the time) Maj. General Hale Brooks, later to lead allied armoured forces in normandy and Major Gladeon Barnes, who was head of Ordnance branch, who was in charge of developing all of america's weapons, including the ENIAC computer.

Basically the Plane came down in a field, ploughed through a dry stone wall at 70 miles an hour and came to rest. They were extraordinarily lucky that they came down in east galway which is very flat, and the walls are simply made of a single row of stones and can be knocked over by a cow that thinks about it for any length of time. Had they come down in a field in Munster or the Midlands, they would have been crashing into a four foot thick bank of earth and stones, covered in a 200 year old hedgerow. They would all have been killed instantly.

The plane was very quickly surrounded by everyone for nearly two parishes curious to see what had happened, and they were taken into custody by the local defence force (Dad's Army) and an irish officer piled them all into a truck and took them to a local hotel and filled them full of food and booze. Devers gets on the phone to the American embassy, and since he's about to be appointed supreme commander of US forces in Europe, it turns out that he doesn't have to spend the rest of the war in an internment camp, and they leave for Northern Ireland at half 8, arriving at the border at 2.00. (a journey that barely takes an hour today)

I came across it while looking at a list of Foreign plane crashes in Ireland during WWII.. Looking at this list it would seem that the Allies had very limited respect for ireland's air neutrality. There are nearly as many crashed B-17's on that list alone as there are luftwaffe planes (18 vs 28) which would tally with my father telling me that one of his earliest memories was seeing planes flying over kilmovee. I was asking him again about what he saw, but he gave me an answer that lead to to suspect his account was accurate, rather than an Abe Simpson story, because he said "Well we didn't really see too many of them, given that we hardly ever saw the sky, but we heard them all the time"

Comment

Those stone signs weren't as easy to see as you all thought.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X