No announcement yet.

The WTF? Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If she's buying wool with those names, you may want to double check your bike before your next outing.

Comment

The biggest thing I've hit is an armadillo, and even that's a very disturbing experience.

Comment

I hit a something. I think it was probably a raccoon. I was going about 90 on Route 15 - it wasn't really a place where I had much choice.

Comment

People in Newfoundland go out for a loaf of bread and hit a moose. They're deadly.

One couple died last year when a car coming the other way hit a bear and it came through their windshield. Imagine a 500 pound bear flying at 100 km an hour.

Comment

You think that vision scares you . . .
            Last edited by ursus arctos; 12-10-2018, 20:30.

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
              I hit a something. I think it was probably a raccoon. I was going about 90 on Route 15 - it wasn't really a place where I had much choice.
              15 is the Merritt, right? Mrs SB is always scared of hitting deer when we drive that at twilight. There really aren't many places to get out of the way.

Comment

The US needs more wolves.

Comment

Part of 15 is the Merritt. Other sections are the Wilbur Cross and Berlin Turnpike.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                    You think that vision scares you . . .
                    Ooo...yeah.

Oddly, I've had bear run right in front of my car and right behind it, but rarely deer and never moose.

Apparently moose didn't even exist in Newfoundland until they were introduced in the early 1900s, and now there are close to 100,000 of them.

Comment

You sure about that?

Comment

whatever about hitting a deer, or even a moose. Apparently back in the day, the likelihood of you striking a cow with your car was a serious worry in ireland. And Cattle are essentially 'designed' to be just about the most lethal animal that you can hit, because their legs are exactly long enough to ensure that their massive cartoonish torso comes directly over the bonnet. This problem was in part down to poor maintenance of fences, but also farmers used to set cattle free on the road to eat the grass verges. (the long acre) this insane practice was only possible because the law stated that if you hit a cow with your car, you were legally and financially responsible. Once that law was changed to put the liability on the farmer, it nearly stopped entirely. By the time I was a kid, the only person I knew who died in a collision with an animal, died when his car hit an escaped horse from a stud farm. we're kind of fortunate that there aren't really anywhere near as many deer, or that our limited forest coverage is generally well away from populated areas.
                        Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 12-10-2018, 21:09.

Comment

A deer once ran across the road a hundred metres or so in front of me. Not what you expect on the M65 coming into Bamber Bridge. Luckily it was quite late at night so there was very little traffic and the deer managed to get to the other side.

Comment

The same Northern Sonoma roads that feature deer also border a few dairy farms.

I’ve always been much more worried about the cows.

Comment

Bison are, according to prairie folk, the worst creatures to encounter in a vehicle. First, you rarely meet them singly. Second, they are monumentally big, Moose+Grizzly size. Consequently they see no need to get out of your way and will merely walk over your car.

Comment

Yes, they would seem to take the most dangerous elements of moose and cattle and supersize them.

Comment

Can be real grumpy too...

Comment

Adam Sandler wannabe and his idiot friend got off easy there.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                      whatever about hitting a deer, or even a moose. Apparently back in the day, the likelihood of you striking a cow with your car was a serious worry in ireland. And Cattle are essentially 'designed' to be just about the most lethal animal that you can hit, because their legs are exactly long enough to ensure that their massive cartoonish torso comes directly over the bonnet. This problem was in part down to poor maintenance of fences, but also farmers used to set cattle free on the road to eat the grass verges. (the long acre) this insane practice was only possible because the law stated that if you hit a cow with your car, you were legally and financially responsible. Once that law was changed to put the liability on the farmer, it nearly stopped entirely. By the time I was a kid, the only person I knew who died in a collision with an animal, died when his car hit an escaped horse from a stud farm. we're kind of fortunate that there aren't really anywhere near as many deer, or that our limited forest coverage is generally well away from populated areas.
                                      Cattle and sheep herds on the road is still a pretty common sight in the farmy bits of Auvergne.

Meanwhile on the railway. This happens a fair amount. A bunch of horses (most likely abandoned) also got killed near Darlo a couple of years back as they had wandered onto the tracks from a nearby field when two trains arrived from opposite directions.

Comment

this toddler's Cork accent is completely inpenetrable, even to my ears.

Comment

Deer are worse than cows. Yes cows are bigger and if you hit them at speed you'd do more damage but they're slow and they only are outside in the day. I live in a place in which cows are all over the place and sheep (and goats) as well - they often hold you up as you wait to get out of the way but that's it. The other night just after dusk a deer suddenly ran across right in front of me (literally less than 5 metres away) which if it had been fractionally later there is no way I could have avoided and another one just behind it appeared briefly but terrifyingly in the corner of my eye, I can only assume it nearly ran straight into the side of the car but managed to stop. Cows don't come from nowhere.

Comment

I'd rather kill a deer than a cow, because recipes.

But, unless one gets under my bike wheels, it's unlikely.

Comment

Comment

Someone on the CBC the other day was advocating pine needle pesto, so maybe it's not so WTF.

Comment

I want to know how ursus got to that Iceland product first?

Comment

Ursus is everywhere, he sees all

Comment

Working...
                                                    X